Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 03:52 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
In a crazy way, if you are going to trade anyone for KD, to me it has to be Tatum. Brown is used to being the number 2 guy. He did it for Tatum he will definitely do it for KD. I wonder if Tatum who has been anointed a superstar (too early IMO), is he now going to be happy playing as the number 2 guy behind KD? I say no.
I think Tatum's ego is not as big as most people assume. But you make a good point that would be a real adjustment for him to be #2.

Another thing, I see the Nets rejected the first offer and they want Marcus Smart included in a deal. How sure is it that the Nets are going to get rid of Kyrie Irving? I don't see most of the Celtics wanting to play with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 10:47 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
In a crazy way, if you are going to trade anyone for KD, to me it has to be Tatum. Brown is used to being the number 2 guy. He did it for Tatum he will definitely do it for KD. I wonder if Tatum who has been anointed a superstar (too early IMO), is he now going to be happy playing as the number 2 guy behind KD? I say no.
It does give them a pretty good one two punch.

Old 07-27-2022, 12:09 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
It does give them a pretty good one two punch.
On paper it does, but the reality is that not every NBA player can mentally make the adjustment. Wiggins is the prime example. He had one year where he averaged 23 ppg in Minnesota, and was really looking to step into that top dog role alongside KAT. Then they brought in Jimmy Butler and said oh no big deal, Wiggins will step back slightly and play the support role to Jimmy...it never happened, his game fell off big time and that's what started all the tarnishing of his name and reputation that he is only just now starting to recover from. Up till now Tatum has never had to guard the other team's best wing...that was either Smart or Brown really. All he had to worry about was scoring...if KD is on the team then Tatum is going to have to play that support role. I wonder if he's built for it.

Old 07-28-2022, 05:01 AM

Quote:
On paper it does, but the reality is that not every NBA player can mentally make the adjustment. Wiggins is the prime example. He had one year where he averaged 23 ppg in Minnesota, and was really looking to step into that top dog role alongside KAT. Then they brought in Jimmy Butler and said oh no big deal, Wiggins will step back slightly and play the support role to Jimmy...it never happened, his game fell off big time and that's what started all the tarnishing of his name and reputation that he is only just now starting to recover from. Up till now Tatum has never had to guard the other team's best wing...that was either Smart or Brown really. All he had to worry about was scoring...if KD is on the team then Tatum is going to have to play that support role. I wonder if he's built for it.

They have a team that should be a contender for the rest of the decade. They have an excellent coach. No need to mess with that for KD. He might mess up Tatum's head. Or they might win a title. Its just hard to say and not worth the risk.

Old 07-29-2022, 05:50 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,862,590 times
Celtics going after Durant was a real head scratcher to me. At first I thought the Nets announced that to mess with the Celtics locker room cohesion, & I waited for the Celtics to announce that they actually didn't make the trade offer. But the Celtics never did deny it.

Celtics were 2 games away from a championship & I agree with Grant Williams that they had the better team, but the Warriors played better & were more disciplined, doing more with less. So why mess that up & bring in Durant? It makes no sense. I thought it was bad enough the Celtics brought in Brogdon to take away Smarts minutes when Smart has felt disrespected. Now they threaten to trade Jaylen Brown who also has a history of feeling disrespected?!? What are they doing?

Old 07-29-2022, 06:15 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
So why mess that up & bring in Durant? It makes no sense. I thought it was bad enough the Celtics brought in Brogdon to take away Smarts minutes when Smart has felt disrespected. Now they threaten to trade Jaylen Brown who also has a history of feeling disrespected?!? What are they doing?
I agree. The only thing I could think of is that they want to drive up the price that other teams have to pay for Durant, or they want to make sure that some certain team doesn't get him. Actually doing the deal would not make sense.

Another thought is that Jaylen Brown could go somewhere else and develop into the anchor player for another franchise, without having to stand in Tatum's shadow. He may always feel like (and be) the lesser of two stars in Boston -- even though Boston would probably be his shortest road to a championship.

One other possibility is that they actually want Brown to get motivated to compete more for the spotlight. So the trade threat just keeps him pushing to show the doubters.

Brown was huge to Boston's success in the playoffs, but he doesn't get as much recognition as Tatum. Don't get me wrong, though, I love them both.

Old 07-30-2022, 12:09 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Well, Durant’s an all-world talent with a combination of height, speed, shooting ability with good defense, so I don’t know why they wouldn’t at least consider him. His off-court antics aside, he’s very competitive on-court and proven himself in the postseason. I’m just not convinced Tatum is a long-term answer for a championship team. He doesn’t seem to know how to adjust to adversity and all the flopping he and Smart did on the Finals was pretty embarrassing. Durant and Brown play the same position, so I suppose Boston can’t keep both, but they’d be the two best players on the team if they were together.

Old 07-30-2022, 03:13 PM

You wonder what all of this does to Boston going forward. They have openly considered trading Brown. Smart might have a diminished roll. If they get off to a slow start this coming season it might get a little ugly.

Old 07-30-2022, 05:38 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
You wonder what all of this does to Boston going forward. They have openly considered trading Brown. Smart might have a diminished roll. If they get off to a slow start this coming season it might get a little ugly.
If we are being brutally honest, Smart is NOT an elite starting point guard in this league. Winning DPOY has inflated his value above what he actually is which is a 3 and D guy who would be more valuable coming off the bench. Boston knows this since they brought in Brogdon to essentially play Smarts position. The smart money would be hoping some team is a sucker that is blinded by the defense and trade for him. Pun intended.

Brown is a quintessential number 2 guy. He can get 20 ppg and play good D. But he’s clearly one step below superstar. He doesn’t command double teams, he cannot create for others. He gets his points and that’s basically it. That’s why he’s one of those guys who has a lot of quiet 30 point games where it doesn’t change the outcomes of games much. So for Boston upgrading from Brown to KD would be huge especially since Tatum can be up and down himself. This trade works for the Nets only if they feel confident that Kyrie can regain his elite status and Simmons wakes up. Now that would actually be a good team.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:53 PM

The Nets would have the same problem of needing Kyrie and Simmons to step up to their potential. And instead of having KD to pick up the slack they have Brown. And whoever else they might get back in this trade. A huge step backwards.

Problem is if Kyrie really wants out he is going to make things difficult. He won't step up. He is going to miss games and force the Nets to trade him. Who knows with Simmons. He is spending the summer watching the two guys he expected to play with asking for trades. You have to wonder what he thinks about all this. Sure it works for Boston. If KD is healthy most of the season. If he is not they just gambled away their future.

Nets have big choices to make. Depends if KD and Kyrie can be convinced to give it one more try. That is their best option. Or you need to move them both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball