Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:21 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,374,380 times

Advertisements

Well the title isn't exactly correct but it is offical, the city of Oklahoma City now has a pro basketball team. Many Seattle Supersonics fans are outraged because the owner who is originally from Ok City made promises to them that the team would have another arena built for the Supersonics to play in, but he had an alternate agenda. Seattle however get to keep the name and records of the team. ESPN - Seattle SuperSonics News, Schedule, Players, Stats, Video - NBA

Oklahoma City seems to kinda boring for a basketball team imo. Hopefully Seattle can get another team together or take over an extisting team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:08 AM

18,198 posts, read 25,781,041 times
Heard the story on the news just a while ago. Sounds like a done deal now. I missed part of the story how the owner compensates the city of Seattle a HUGE amount of money to leave. I thought I heard $45 million. Is that right?

Old 07-03-2008, 10:44 AM

270 posts, read 1,158,899 times
i think that it was a total of 75 mil and $45 promised.

Yea it will be kind of wierd not havin the sonics and what ki9nd of name will Oklahoma have?

Old 07-03-2008, 10:55 AM

8,790 posts, read 10,211,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Juicebox View Post
i think that it was a total of 75 mil and $45 promised.

Yea it will be kind of wierd not havin the sonics and what ki9nd of name will Oklahoma have?
Outlaws, Wranglers, Drillers? just some possibilities. Will they have "City" in the name or will they just go by Oklahoma (fill in team name here)?

Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,871,129 times
I think it will be the OkC ???s

That's it, maybe the question marks?

I think they will try and stay away from a name that stereotypes the area, although Wranglers isn't a bad name.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:54 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,852,178 times
From what I've seen on certain boards, the most popular name is "Barrons". So don't be suprised to see it in the near future.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:04 PM

687 posts, read 2,346,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Well the title isn't exactly correct but it is offical, the city of Oklahoma City now has a pro basketball team. Many Seattle Supersonics fans are outraged because the owner who is originally from Ok City made promises to them that the team would have another arena built for the Supersonics to play in, but he had an alternate agenda. Seattle however get to keep the name and records of the team. ESPN - Seattle SuperSonics News, Schedule, Players, Stats, Video - NBA

Oklahoma City seems to kinda boring for a basketball team imo. Hopefully Seattle can get another team together or take over an extisting team.
Get the facts straight first; the new owner never said he'd have an arena built, he said he would make an effort to help get the arena built. He tried. The Washington and Seattle people were the first to say 'no' to publicly funding it.

Do you think he'd have actually been able to move the team if he'd have made a promise to have the arena built?

And for the record, while I live in Oklahoma (Tulsa, not OKC and will NOT attend any of the games) doesn't mean I approve of what's going on. I just think the sterotype being shoved down people's throats of what 'Okies' are is deplorable. Most of us are a damn sight smarter than some of the Starbuck-Latte-Drinkin-Plaid-Shirt-And-Hoodie-Wearin' Seattleites.

How's that for a stereotype!

Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,582,179 times
Barrons is OK for a name. Twisters not so OK since they are frequently associated with severe disaster.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:18 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,582,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post

And for the record, while I live in Oklahoma (Tulsa, not OKC and will NOT attend any of the games) doesn't mean I approve of what's going on. I just think the sterotype being shoved down people's throats of what 'Okies' are is deplorable. Most of us are a damn sight smarter than some of the Starbuck-Latte-Drinkin-Plaid-Shirt-And-Hoodie-Wearin' Seattleites.

How's that for a stereotype!
Joining the Seattleites with their mud throwing and name calling doesn't make you smarter than them, though.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:39 PM

468 posts, read 1,635,759 times
Oklahoma City Tornadoes.
Oklahoma City F5's
Oklahoma City Destruction

etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball