U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:04 AM

12,977 posts, read 29,644,313 times

Advertisements

I am beginning to think that Greg Oden will be a complete bust as an NBA player. Like Sam Bowie, all that talent and just too fragile to make it a career. He's the NBA version of Ryan Leaf.

If I were Portland, I'd strongly consider trading that damaged goods away for someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 07:14 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,441,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I am beginning to think that Greg Oden will be a complete bust as an NBA player. Like Sam Bowie, all that talent and just too fragile to make it a career. He's the NBA version of Ryan Leaf.

If I were Portland, I'd strongly consider trading that damaged goods away for someone.
Sadly, his body is just not holding up and it appears he's going to be injury prone all the time a la Bill Walton. I do think it's unfair to call a guy a complete bust though when's he's played all of one half in an NBA game. I say give him a chance to come back from this injury, see how he does and how long he stays healthy before jumping to that conclusion.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:02 AM

5,545 posts, read 5,907,052 times
I'm from Portland, a big Blazers fan. But I have to agree. My dad called this last season even. Just because he is big enough and has the potential to be a great NBA player doesn't mean his body is meant to withstand the rigors of the game. So far, you have to conclude he just isn't going to be able to remain healthy. Obviously I hope I am wrong, but it's not looking great so far.

That being said, the Blazers are a very good young team and tons of fun to watch. It's just a shame because if they had a better big man, an inside presence, they could be one of the best 3 teams in the league. Without that, they're going to be about a 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs. They have the talent to win quite a few games, but if you can't create an inside presence and drive to the basket you won't beat the elite teams. No chance.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:40 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,930,663 times
Quote:

He's going to be like Sam Bowie for sure, but he'll play even less. But don't compare him to Ryan Leaf, Oden will never be as much of a jerk/moron as Leaf. Portland has a good team, but Oden will never be a major part of it. But I can't imagine anyone will take the cap hit just to have him sit injured for two years.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 PM

7,222 posts, read 8,234,549 times
well for what it's worth, Oden says he will play tonight against the Heat. Hopefully, he can stay healthy this time so we can all see what he has.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:57 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,805,237 times
My view of him when at Ohio State is that he looked and moved like a much older person.

My prediction about him when drafted is that he might have a very good career, especially with defense and rebounds, but be done by 30. He just moves like a lot older fellow, and I don't see him aging well at all.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 AM

879 posts, read 1,775,974 times
I think it's a little early to write him off as a Sam Bowie. Sure, knee surgery isn't a great start to a career, but would we be having this conversation if he hadn't stepped on someone's foot and sprained his ankle (something that happens ALL the time in basketball and which I've done myself 2,534,892 times)? Also, as someone on the boob tube pointed out, there have been other players who appeared injury-prone early-on in their careers but weren't later on.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:01 PM

780 posts, read 1,341,600 times
I have watched Oden play since he was a 6'8" 8th grader in Indiana. He is very strong and a great defensive player. He will never be a 30ppg player, but his inside presence will make a difference in the paint.

He is only 20 years old (21 in January) and has added a great deal of muscle since his high school playing days. He is not in game shape yet and that was obvious against the Heat. One thing that has caught my attention over the years is that it seems that one of his legs is a slightly longer than the other. I hope I am wrong, but this can add to the knee problems if this is the case.

One thing for sure, Blazer fans will not have to worry about him getting in trouble off of the court. He is a excellent kid and if he does screw up, Stern better get to him before his mother does.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:26 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,958,653 times
Quote:

The Ryan Leaf comparison is flawed; Leaf did not have serious injuries that derailed his career like Oden has. He was just a stupid, immature a$$hole. Oden is a smart, nice kid whose body just isn't up to the game.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:20 PM

820 posts, read 2,591,749 times
I too think it's too early to be critical of Oden. I was a fan and followed him while playing at OSU. I think he's got tremendous talent and opportunity before him. Hopefully, he'll make use of all of that and stay healthy. Time will tell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball