Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 05:18 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times

Advertisements

I don't think Howard's defense against Yao is all that bad. It is more like Yao's just unstoppable one on one. I think Howard has too much pride to allow his teammates to help and double down on Yao. No center right now can stop Yao one on one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:51 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Um....if Howard is married, his wife might have grounds for divorce based upon what he did to Philly last night.

Seriously guys....10 offensive rebounds....ALL other players (both teams) combined for 9.
24 pts. 24 rebs shot >50% and made 8/12 FT's yeah, thats brutal.

Philadelphia 76ers vs. Orlando Magic - Box Score - April 28, 2009 - ESPN

Old 04-29-2009, 06:26 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,032 times
i don't think howard is good enough offensively against yao.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Say what? He isn't a bad free throw shooter...the guy is making 2/3rds of his freethrows in the playoffs...that's acceptable...especially when shooting >70% from the field!

You are also forgetting he won DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR while putting up 21ppg etc.

Dirk and Bosh are great...but better than Howard? Hard to say that Nowitki's extra 4-5ppg (and he shoots a lot more than Howard) make up for all the rebounds, blocks and changed shots.
the problem is he struggles to get points in the paint against some guys. yao is a perfect example. he absolutely can't step out and hit a jumper, and he's very awkward around the basket. if he's not getting the ball in the key, he is inneffective. i have no confidance in a guy shooting 60% from the line. instead, i'd rather have dirk who takes over a game, can step out and hit threes, pulls 10+ rebounds a game, and can close out the game at the free throw line. i can say similar things about bosh except he has less range. my points been made.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
the problem is he struggles to get points in the paint against some guys. yao is a perfect example. he absolutely can't step out and hit a jumper, and he's very awkward around the basket. if he's not getting the ball in the key, he is inneffective. i have no confidance in a guy shooting 60% from the line. instead, i'd rather have dirk who takes over a game, can step out and hit threes, pulls 10+ rebounds a game, and can close out the game at the free throw line. i can say similar things about bosh except he has less range. my points been made.
Playoff stats so far:

Nowitzki 19pts. 8.6 rebs FG%=50, FT% = 93.5% (very nice)
Howard 24pts 15.8rebs FG%= 68, FT% = 67%

If Howard shot FT's like Dirk he would have scored another 3pts a game. If he shot more like the NBA average of 75% then he'd have had another 1 pt a game. Howard also shot twice as many FT's as Dirk, which gets his teamates to the line via the penalty.
Lastly, Nowitzki is not considered more than a mediocre defender at best...not Nash bad...but not even remotely good.

I'm not saying Howard is perfect and I myself have noted in other threads that Howard would match up better against someone like Gasol instead of a big body like Ilgauskus or Yao.

Not sure what Dirk-koolaid you've been drinking but he doesnt pull down >10rebs a game and vs. San Antonio made 1/8 from 3pt range. He had 3 total offensive rebounds in 5 games. Howard pulls down 3 O-rebs in a decent 1/2 game.

My point is that Howard vs. Nowitzki? Not. Even. Close.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Playoff stats so far:

Nowitzki 19pts. 8.6 rebs FG%=50, FT% = 93.5% (very nice)
Howard 24pts 15.8rebs FG%= 68, FT% = 67%

If Howard shot FT's like Dirk he would have scored another 3pts a game. If he shot more like the NBA average of 75% then he'd have had another 1 pt a game. Howard also shot twice as many FT's as Dirk, which gets his teamates to the line via the penalty.
Lastly, Nowitzki is not considered more than a mediocre defender at best...not Nash bad...but not even remotely good.

I'm not saying Howard is perfect and I myself have noted in other threads that Howard would match up better against someone like Gasol instead of a big body like Ilgauskus or Yao.

Not sure what Dirk-koolaid you've been drinking but he doesnt pull down >10rebs a game and vs. San Antonio made 1/8 from 3pt range. He had 3 total offensive rebounds in 5 games. Howard pulls down 3 O-rebs in a decent 1/2 game.

My point is that Howard vs. Nowitzki? Not. Even. Close.
it's funny that your trying to compare howard vs 76ers and nowitzki vs spurs. its also funny your doing this comparison over 4-6 games against one team for each.

on the season dirk averaged 26 ppg 8.4 rpg. he does more than just what you see in a stat line as well. he spreads the defense as well as closes out games. if you want to compare playoff stats. let's compare dirk's over his career. for dirk's CAREER he averages 25ppg, 11 rpg, 88% ft, 1.2 stls, and a blk. FOR HIS CAREER. again, i prefer dirk.

ps. howard doesn't shoot 75%, not even close so your extra point is irrelavent. in addition, the fact that he shoots a ton of free throws, but only makes 60% for his career just spells missed opportunity for the magic. a great player closes out there opponent. as a piston's fan we learned this when we lost chauncey billups.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
it's funny that your trying to compare howard vs 76ers and nowitzki vs spurs. its also funny your doing this comparison over 4-6 games against one team for each.

on the season dirk averaged 26 ppg 8.4 rpg. he does more than just what you see in a stat line as well. he spreads the defense as well as closes out games. if you want to compare playoff stats. let's compare dirk's over his career. for dirk's CAREER he averages 25ppg, 11 rpg, 88% ft, 1.2 stls, and a blk. FOR HIS CAREER. again, i prefer dirk.

ps. howard doesn't shoot 75%, not even close so your extra point is irrelavent. in addition, the fact that he shoots a ton of free throws, but only makes 60% for his career just spells missed opportunity for the magic. a great player closes out there opponent. as a piston's fan we learned this when we lost chauncey billups.
We are talking about current player ability not career stats.
Look at this season stats if that makes you feel better. Dirk scores a couple more points on a lot more shooting but Howard crushes the boards and defensively they are a time-zone apart.

Just for humore...last time they met Howard trashed Dallas, notice how he fouled out both of Dallas' centers?
Dallas Mavericks vs. Orlando Magic - Box Score - February 02, 2009 - ESPN

In the playoffs, Howard is annihilating the 76ers....and all you can do is snipe about his *bad* free-throw shooting at 67%. Notice they haven't resorted to Hack-a-Shaq on him?

You sound like my neighbor kid...loved Nash, Iverson, Dirk...finally got it through his head that there are 2 ends to the court. Loved watching Tony Parker eat "MVP" Nash up each year. Yummy.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
We are talking about current player ability not career stats.
Look at this season stats if that makes you feel better. Dirk scores a couple more points on a lot more shooting but Howard crushes the boards and defensively they are a time-zone apart.

Just for humore...last time they met Howard trashed Dallas, notice how he fouled out both of Dallas' centers?
Dallas Mavericks vs. Orlando Magic - Box Score - February 02, 2009 - ESPN

In the playoffs, Howard is annihilating the 76ers....and all you can do is snipe about his *bad* free-throw shooting at 67%. Notice they haven't resorted to Hack-a-Shaq on him?

You sound like my neighbor kid...loved Nash, Iverson, Dirk...finally got it through his head that there are 2 ends to the court. Loved watching Tony Parker eat "MVP" Nash up each year. Yummy.

again, i refer to my previous post. 1 series against an inferior team means squadush.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
again, i refer to my previous post. 1 series against an inferior team means squadush.
I accept that defense, which is why I pointed to the season stats where dirk averaged more points but shot a lower % and had FAR fewer rebounds.

So offensively (due to the O-rebounds) I call their impacts pretty even, maybe a slight edge to Dirk.
Defensively on a scale of 1-10, Howard is a 10 and Dirk is a 3 or 4.

I pointed to Howard's current play because he has gotten better over the course of this season...and he is not yet at his full potential.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:20 PM

Just an update...averaging 17pts, 16+ rebounds and 3 blks vs. boston on 55% shooting.

Yeah, he does need to work on his offensive game some including passing out. Ugh 5-27 shooting from 3pt. range? Orlando needs to make them pay for packing the paint.

In my opinion Kobe and Lebron are clearly the best in the league, then there is a drop off and there are maybe 1/2 dozen guys that depending on what you value, need etc. can all be argued about. I think Howard is one of those guys, along with guys like Wade etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball