U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:08 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,922,626 times

Advertisements

I really wanted to bring up the game of H.O.R.S.E., is this a good idea? The players who'll participate are Kevin Durant, O.J. Mayo, and Joe Johnson; this sound like a good idea but this could take some hours when you think about it. I think the dunk contest will be alright, but the game of horse really has me interested. Go East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 02:13 PM

7,222 posts, read 8,235,579 times
Certainly nothing wrong with trying it, but the idea of watching a game of regular Horse seems boring to me. Do something creative with it for the fans.

I probably won't watch anything but the Dunk contest anyway, but just thought I'd share my comments.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:20 PM

I just finished reading the article on ESPN.com and the mentioned that it'll be G.E.I.C.O. instead of H.O.R.S.E. because Geico will sponsor the activity. I hear you on the dunk contest, Vince made everyone else look average.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,429,052 times
i'm intrigued by horse - i guess they tested it with the D League guys last year

was impossible to snag tickets to either the game or the 3 point shootout/dunk contest/horse game ...... however, I do have tickets to the all star game practice (yes, i'm talking about practice) Saturday morning and then will wander the Jam Session afterwards ....... should be pretty fun

Old 02-11-2009, 10:03 PM

7,222 posts, read 8,235,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
i'm intrigued by horse - i guess they tested it with the D League guys last year

was impossible to snag tickets to either the game or the 3 point shootout/dunk contest/horse game ...... however, I do have tickets to the all star game practice (yes, i'm talking about practice) Saturday morning and then will wander the Jam Session afterwards ....... should be pretty fun
Cool

Old 02-11-2009, 10:16 PM

I'd like to see an All-Star game practice; I know they'll be clowning but it would be interesting to see the most elite of elite out there.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:09 PM

51,917 posts, read 41,791,093 times
Here are some alternative events....

Randomly selected fans that can score on Steve Nash get a free Big Mac, while supplies last.

They will take the 11 people over the age of 17 that voted Iverson as the All-star starter and force them to repeatedly watch one of his epic 30 shots, 22 points performances until it dawns upon them that it really wasn't his teamates fault they lost the game by 20. The first one to come to this conclusion gets Joe Dumars job.

Before and after Laker fan test. Laker fans get to re-watch the 2001 finals vs. Philly. Those that still think 24 yo. Kobe was the best player on the team get fitted with protective head-gear and mittens so they don't harm themselves or others. Those that think he was the best player in the league back then get their luggage searched for Phil Jackson's stolen stash.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:29 PM

137 posts, read 259,351 times
I think H.O.R.S.E. is a, I mean G.E.I.C.O., is a great idea. Why not try something new? Everybody is familiar with it, we've all played it and now let's see some of the best play it. Hopefully complete with tough dunks and gimmick shots. I'm gonna tune in.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:13 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,542,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Here are some alternative events....

Randomly selected fans that can score on Steve Nash get a free Big Mac, while supplies last.

They will take the 11 people over the age of 17 that voted Iverson as the All-star starter and force them to repeatedly watch one of his epic 30 shots, 22 points performances until it dawns upon them that it really wasn't his teamates fault they lost the game by 20. The first one to come to this conclusion gets Joe Dumars job.

Before and after Laker fan test. Laker fans get to re-watch the 2001 finals vs. Philly. Those that still think 24 yo. Kobe was the best player on the team get fitted with protective head-gear and mittens so they don't harm themselves or others. Those that think he was the best player in the league back then get their luggage searched for Phil Jackson's stolen stash.
Great post! Made me laugh.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:14 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,542,021 times
Watching the broadcast yesterday, I have the following obsrevations:

1) I thought HORSE moved too slowly. Maybe they should have someone come up with a bunch of possible creative moves that each person can choose from including things like shooting 3 pointers with the left hand, or shots with their eyes closed. I thought this segment was boring.

2) Kenny Smith tries too damn hard to be entertaining. He's a distraction and his loud-mouth antics are annoying. He and Miller were constantly arguing, and this took attention away from each event.

3) Reggie Miller seems to have a chip on his shoulder. He's always combative with the others even during the televised games. Always critical of the current players in a malicious way. He obviously has issues. They should find someone else more witty and less combative, let Miller go deal with his issues. He does nothing for the broadcast.

4) Barkley is surely missed. Obviously they were trying desperately to compensate for his absence, without success.

5) Very disappointed in the slam dunk contest. I thought Fernandez deserved higher marks. This role that Howard thinks he must play seems to be something even he is tired of (and not good at). The expectation is that he be entertaining and goofy. He's not a funny person and looks like a goofball in this role. He doesn't play the role of the clown or court jester well, and his antics took away from the dignity that the dunk contest once had. So last year he put on a cape and did a routine dunk. So what? This year, he rolls up a higher basket and does some routine dunk...with a cape. What a sham. This certainly doesn't compare to past dunks by Erving, Nance, Jordan, Wilkins, Carter, and Richardson. I wasn't impressed. Maybe he should've used some imagination and done a reverse 720 on the higher basket? But he hasn't the creativity or the athleticism to attempt that kind of dunk. Kenny Smith's loud mouth cheering didn't help. I wasn't impressed with any of Howard's dunks this time around. Too gimmicky. I thought Nate Robinson's dunks were better, especially considering his height, but his dancing, and clowning around after his dunks was a sorry reminder of the ghetto element of the game. I say bring back the dignity.

6) Dwight Howard, the goofball. I was not impressed. My God, has the contest come down to a poor imitation of a Harlem Globetrotter event? I think when Howard matures, he will look back on this time and his goofy antics with great shame.

7) The slam dunk contest was so disappointing that they had to approach the ultimate attention hog, LeBron James, about participating next year. What a joke. So maybe next year, we will see the overexposed James in the contest. Not sure he can add to it. Incidentally, the best dunk of the night wasn't even in the dunk contest. That was done by Rose in the skills competition.

8) More about the slam dunk contest. I think they should have a list of the dunks that each contestant can do with a degree of difficulty attached to each. They then get scored on how well they technically execute the dunk. Howard's dunks today all had the lowest degree of difficulty. The highest degree of difficulty dunks would be those done in the past that were extraordinary dunks (eg, those by Carter, Richardson for instance). We also need better judges, not just a bunch of people who give scores based on their whims or crowd reaction. It seemed here like it was predetermined that Robinson and Howard would square off in the finals, and I don't think this was fair to the other contestants. Time to change it up a bit, raise the standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or