Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:39 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,068 times

Advertisements

Being a Laker Fan since I was born ,Why are the Fans so Moderator cut: quiet,They make no noise,Can't see the crowd b/c Staples dimmed them out(Players like when they see their fans),There were a few games were Staples got pretty rowdy(Celtics,Rockets,Cavs,Hornets)but most of the time their quiet.Who do you expect the Lakers to win the Finals if they get there this year with a Quiet crowd like that.
Reasons why People Hate Laker Fans.

David Beckham is there but Real Laker fans missing.

Click on these Urls,Laker Fans need to Shape up,I Remember the good old days,When Staples was all Lighted up,Feared,Loud,And the fans did whatever they could do to make the Lakers win!!.If Lakers are going to win a Championship this Year they need a Real Crowd.While were at it Lets name some of the your Best Lakers Moments.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-11-2009 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 11:48 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
The Lakers always say the fans at Staples make them feel right at home. Some of the screaming can make it hard for the players to hear each other or the ref's whistle. Tonight's game in Portland is an example of a near out of control crowd of Laker haters [they are real ugly in Portland ]. Remember the games in Sacramento when the fans would ring cow bells to make Phil Jackson angry [since he referred to Sacramento as a "cow town"]? The Celtic fans are dangerous & try to harass the Lakers by throwing garbage & rocking the bus - real idiots.

Do not worry. The Lakers are going to be in the finals & it will be against Cleveland in my opinion.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:09 AM

What Happen to Majestic Laker Crowd.

YouTube - 2000 NBA Playoffs: Blazers at Lakers, Gm 7 -part 1/12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldY8bcrmdPI

If the Lakers do Play Portland in the Post Season,I Hope the Crowd at staples will be like this,b/c Portland's crowd yesterday,was loud,Hopefully Laker fans will step up too.BTW I Hate Portland Chant"Beat LA" All you want,but LA will always Be better than Portland as a Team and a City!

Old 04-11-2009, 06:08 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
I remember even in the 1980s watching Laker playoff games that would show many empty seats at the start of a game. Now, I realize west coast games often started on the early side (maybe 6PM instead of normal 730PM) but it was a little embarrassing on national TV to see these empty seats (they usually filled up as the game went on). Also, many of those courtside seats are corporate owned and may be distributed to stellar employees for example as a gift - they might not be big Laker fans in the first place - it was an entertainment thing, not a sports fan thing.

I hated Dancing Barry. I didn't even like the Laker girls. I don't like Lawerence Tanner - he's a cheerleader. That's entertainment, its below sports. True sports fans find those things distracting.

I liked the legendary John Ramsey (who was the PA guy for the Lakers, Kings, Dodgers, Angeles, Rams, UCLA, and USC). He had this deep bellowing voice which echoed thoughout the cavernous mammoth Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and who would sound as appropriate calling Patton leading the 3rd Army into Germany as he would announcing Pat Riley coming off the bench.

In addition, so many Angelenos are transplants from other cities and there isn't a huge homogeneous passion towards their local (LA) teams as there is living back east where almost all of those fans grew up with their teams.

Remember this? Boston losing to philly in boston in 1982 and the boston fans cheering (go to 7:55 on the tape) on the hated sixers to Beat LA. (Be sure to watch this in High Definition by clicking "HD" in the lower right of the movie.)

YouTube - NBA on CBS 1982 Celtics/Sixers Game 7 Finish ("Beat LA")

I was a native. I grew up with the Dodgers, Lakers, Rams, Kings, Angels, etc. Many other LA fans are transplanted bandwagon fans.

Finally, because the LA teams like the Lakers are so dominant, there isn't a whole lot to get excited about until the competition gets tough like against San Antonio (a classy team that is hard to hate too), boston, or the eastern conference champion.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:46 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
I wouldn't call us rowdy, but I've seen games where the fans are pretty boisterous. It may have something to do with the acoustics (?). I dunno. The most maddening bit about watching the games on TV is the OBVIOUS bias (largely East-Coast) that ESPN lays on us. I much prefer the local coverage (FSTV, I think it is), but hate the fact that I can't turn the sound down on the TV and listen to a real play-by-play team on the radio (the time delay ruins it). And yes, the fact that the Lakers are consistently pretty dominant lulls us into a false state of being. We gotta get over that and QUICK- the playoffs are gonna be brutal.

Go Andrew!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:28 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
The Lakers fill up Staples' near 20,000 seats without a problem & LA loves the Laker's. Maybe it is who I hang with but all my friends are NBA crazy & sports bars get pretty loud. Professional sports, overall, is less an obsession on the West Coast compared to the Northeast. May have something to do with climate & the availability of playing sports rather than watching sports year-round.

I think Bynum's recovery & the strength of the bench will put the Laker's into the finals. Portland is a fluke but so was Cleveland until the Laker's handed King James his head last winter.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:18 PM

I Don't like Lawrence Tanter as Lakers PA announcer,He sounds emotionless,I Really like Bostons,Hornets,Orlando,ATL, and Cavs Pa Announcers.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:24 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
People try to be too cool at the Laker games which is why fans dont get as loud or as rowdy as the Fabulous Forum days. Another reason is that the team now (without Shaq) is nowhere near as exciting as the Showtime years with Magic, Worthy, Coop and Kareem.

People go to Laker games to be seen, not to be cheering on the Purple and Gold. Women dressing in sexy dresses and designer jeans with sunglasses, etc. Plus, Charles was right, most folks are transplants who still hold allegiances to their "home" teams and are just at the Laker games because its the "in" thing to do and the "in" place to be seen.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
I agree with the first bit, to a point. The Lakers with a healthy Bynum is a beautiful thing, hell, they looked pretty good without him, especially Lamar. They can get me jumping out of my chair a few times every game. Is it 'Showtime?'- probably not. Still, our Lakers are working on their 15th NBA Championship.

I think the image of the vacuous Laker fan has been exploded by the media, who care nothing for those of us who were 'tutored' by Chick Hearn, and weathered years of disappointment at the hands of the Celtics. We don't sell advertising space, and we hate the interviews these bozos conduct WHILE THE GAME IS GOING ON. TV coverage is what the rest of the country sees, sadly.

And yes, there are tons of transplants, but there are tons of loyal fans who couldn't care less about the fluff, me included. Despite it all, we have an incredible history with some great basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
People try to be too cool at the Laker games which is why fans dont get as loud or as rowdy as the Fabulous Forum days. Another reason is that the team now (without Shaq) is nowhere near as exciting as the Showtime years with Magic, Worthy, Coop and Kareem.

People go to Laker games to be seen, not to be cheering on the Purple and Gold. Women dressing in sexy dresses and designer jeans with sunglasses, etc. Plus, Charles was right, most folks are transplants who still hold allegiances to their "home" teams and are just at the Laker games because its the "in" thing to do and the "in" place to be seen.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:32 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
The NBA in general has lost alot of it's hard-core fan base from the Jordan, Bird, Johnson days. I used to go to Charlotte Hornets games in the 90's and I could feel the noise even from outside the Arena. I went to a Bobcats game a few years ago and I felt like I was in a resturant.

Needless to say, the booming age of new arena's with luxury boxes has made NBA games feel more like a social setting. Even Michael Jordan said this right after the Bulls moved into the United Center after playing years in Chicago Stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball