U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2009, 11:42 AM

2,518 posts, read 777,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
No offense, but there is a large difference between little league sports and professional sports w/millions upon millions of dollars on the line. I get what you're saying, but honestly, I respect(ed) someone a lot more who is real w/me than someone who is 'forced' to shake my hand after the game even though they don't want too. You also have to remember, these guys are in contact all the time, it's not like in little league where the only time I would likely see the opponent is during/right after the game, so it made sense to congratulate the other team right afterwards. It's not like Lebron and Dwight Howard won't talk all summer. I don't think it was a good move on Lebron's part to text him a congratulations the next day once he had a night to sleep on it, at least give the courtesy of calling him and congratulating him, but anyone who has played competitively knows how hard it can be when you have a season-ending loss to take at an amateur level, let alone at a professional level - especially when expectations where higher after acheiving the league's best record in the season. And honestly, as a fan, I want to see my team's players hate losing and show that it hurts them like it hurts us, b/c it shows they feel our pain and that fuel can be fire for the future.

I realize there is a place for sportsmanship, but seriously, Lebron gets crucified nationally for not acknowledging Howard publicly after the game (the media focuses on this, but really, they were just ticked that he skipped his press conference as well leaving them with actually having to write a story about the game and not quote athletes for an entire article) while seemingly every day we hear about another athlete being arrested or having 7 kids out of wedlock not paying child support or whatever; if this is the worst thing Lebron ever does, he'll be just fine.
Sorry, but the players in the past had sportsmanship, and so do the other players. When you play a series with another team, you shake their hands.

I played in the College World Series and saw my team blow an 8-0 lead to lose 13-11...we still shook the hands of our opponents. It's called sportsmanship.

Lebron has to be held to a higher standard because so many kids try to be like him. How long before a kid says "why do I have to shake their hands and show sportsmanship? Lebron didn't!" ?

You just want to give Lebron a pass because he is a good player...so other kids can tattoo "Chosen 1" and "Gifted" on their body and feel like they're too good to show any sportsmanship, right?

Real champions act like champions and show respect to those who beat them. Lebron has just shown that he's an immature baby with a massive ego, and nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 12:06 PM

1,858 posts, read 2,950,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Sorry, but the players in the past had sportsmanship, and so do the other players. When you play a series with another team, you shake their hands.

I played in the College World Series and saw my team blow an 8-0 lead to lose 13-11...we still shook the hands of our opponents. It's called sportsmanship.

Lebron has to be held to a higher standard because so many kids try to be like him. How long before a kid says "why do I have to shake their hands and show sportsmanship? Lebron didn't!" ?

You just want to give Lebron a pass because he is a good player...so other kids can tattoo "Chosen 1" and "Gifted" on their body and feel like they're too good to show any sportsmanship, right?

Real champions act like champions and show respect to those who beat them. Lebron has just shown that he's an immature baby with a massive ego, and nothing else.
I get what you're saying, and I'm not saying that Lebron did the right thing by just walking off the court, I'm just saying it's not nearly as big a deal as the media is making it out to be (they needed something to write about during this 5-day lag between the Conference Finals & NBA Finals) and I can understand why he did it after falling short of their ultimate goal of playing in the NBA Finals and having a chance at a championship.

Honestly, I will be shocked if you see it again out of him b/c as you point out, Lebron realizes he is looked up too by kids, and doesn't want to hurt his image any more than it already has been by this incident, and I think he will learn from this slip-up.

And if we're talking about baseball here, when is the last time you saw MLB losing teams line-up after the game and shake the winners hands?? I can never remember seeing that, you see the winning team shake each other's hands, but the losers just head to the clubhouse, where's the sportsmanship in that?

Old 06-03-2009, 12:13 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,804,403 times
Lebron is not the first athelete in any sport to lose a big game or series. He is a freaking grown man and should have shown some sportsmanship IMO.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:42 PM

723 posts, read 1,688,360 times
Loyalty to place? Ha! Pro athletes of James' ilk are nothing but highly paid mercenaries. Period.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:32 PM
FBJ

32,861 posts, read 22,211,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Excellent points, I pretty much agree.

If you are bored and want some entertainment...go back to the 76ers vs. Lakers Final from about 8years ago or so....check out the box scores.
Shaq dominated, Iverson sucked...the normal.

Saw some fluff piece with magic interviewing Kobe and making reference to "greatest ever" OMG....sorry but I wanted to puke. I wouldn't put Kobe ahead of Shaq career-wise....let alone some of the obvious others like MJ.

You act like the 2001 NBAfinals are airing on ESPN Classic

Old 06-03-2009, 06:34 PM
JL

6,330 posts, read 6,567,361 times
One thing is that Shaq was the best player on the Lakers with those 3 championship teams. He was the one that carried the Lakers during that run scoring at will in the paint. If Lakers win in a week, Kobe will be the one carrying the Lakers obviously. MJ is in another league by himself, so i won't even discuss him.

BTW, Ariza is most likely gone by next year. He is a free agent and will get $$$ from other teams. He is pretty much gone. Odom might stay, but he also will likely be gone since he can start for another team instead of being a backup.

Last edited by JL; 06-03-2009 at 06:45 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 06:57 PM
JL

6,330 posts, read 6,567,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
You make a lot of valid points, as good as LBJ is, you have to have quality players around you to compete for title as the Magic showed this past series. If the Cavs do not make a significant move this offseason and add a decent post player, just making it back to the Eastern Conference Finals next year should be deemed a success. Everyone looks at the 66-16 record, yet they were just 3-6 vs. LA, Orlando & Boston. No shock that all 3 of those teams have huge mismatch advantages in the post and they exposed the Cavs on that. If, and it's a huge if, they can find a way to work a trade for say Shaq or Bosh in the off-season or before the trade-deadline in 2010 using Ben Wallace's expiring contract and another player or two, think they will have a real shot at a championship. Looking back, wish Ferry would have pulled the trigger on that Wally/Sasha trade for Shaq back at the trade-line, b/c I think the Cavs would be playing the Lakers right now w/an extremely motivated Shaq wanting to prevent Kobe from getting a ring w/out him. If you take a step back though and look at the series, the Cavs blew a 15-point halftime lead in game 1, and I think they took the foot off the gas having coasted through 8 games in the first 2 series and the first half of that game, and it came back to haunt them and gave Orlando the homecourt and confidence to take the series as they ultimately did. The Cavs also led by 8 at halftime in game 4 in Orlando, and if Delonte West doesn't knock the ball out of bounds allowing Lewis to hit the 3 that sent it to OT, who knows...I realize it's a lot of what if's, but it's not like the Cavs were dominated all series (outside of Howard) outside of closeout game 6. But you are absolutely right, other teams are improving and will continue to, the Blazers aren't going anywhere, and if the Bulls can find a way to resign Ben Gordon and add another piece or two down low, they could be a force to deal with for the next few years as well. So the Cavs can't just sit back, and I don't expect them to realizing the window is closing on showing Lebron that they can compete for titles for years to come.

As for this Finals, I'm saying the Lakers in 6, Kobe finally wins one w/out Shaq.
I thought Shaq and Bosh were free agents? If they get Bosh, they will make it to the Finals and win for sure. That is a big if though. I can't wait till the end of next season(big time free agents). A friend of mine who works for the Rockets said that they will go after DWade.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 PM

5,080 posts, read 3,826,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
I thought Shaq and Bosh were free agents? If they get Bosh, they will make it to the Finals and win for sure. That is a big if though. I can't wait till the end of next season(big time free agents). A friend of mine who works for the Rockets said that they will go after DWade.
Hell no...

I swear if the Heat let Wade go i will NOT watch a Heat game again.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:40 AM

5,285 posts, read 3,881,317 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I actually think Kobe is underrated.

In regards to Shaqs 4th title. The heat somewhat luckboxed there way into that championship. IIRC D Wade shot more or as many foul shots in the pivotal game five as the whole Dallas team. Bad bounces, bad calls and overall bad luck took that series out of Dallas', the better team, hands. Point is, the 2006 finals did not have much to do with shaq as it did, Wade, Dirk missing foul shots, Terry missing clutch 3s, and some suspect officiating.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:55 AM

1,598 posts, read 2,078,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
Shaq is under contract with Phoenix until after next season. He might be traded, or he could get bought out, which is unlikely. I'm not sure any team that is close to being a contender would want to give up any good young players to take on his big one year salary at his age. They'd be giving up on their future for a risky one year title shot. I wouldn't put it past Mark Cuban though. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball