U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2009, 11:52 AM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,124,355 times
Reputation: 202

Advertisements

Obviously JJ Superstar Redick and Lebron James are 1 and 1A of their generation. People in my area are evenly split on which one is actually better. Below is the breakdown.

Height: Lebron
Shooting ability: JJ
Driving ability: Lebron
Passing ability: Even
Court smarts: JJ
Ability to get open: Lebron (because of height)
Hops: Lebron
Defense: Lebron (because of height)
Shooting 3s: JJ
Free Throws: JJ
College: JJ was the best college player in 35 years (Sullivan Award winner) He had a final four, won the ACC title 3 times and was 7-3 against UNC. Lebron didn't go to college.
Clutch: JJ scored 15 clutch points in Orlando's upset win last game. Lebron also has done well in some big games, but disappeared in the Championship series in 2007 when it counted.
Endorsements: Lebron, because he appeals to a cross-section of basketball-playing McDonald's-eating consumers. JJ is more Ivy League, but will ultimately be a big endorser as basketball looks to upgrade its image.

Overall analysis: The general assessment is that Lebron started fast because of his athleticism. JJ is like a fine wine that historically rises to the top of whichever league he is in over time. Lebron has scored a lot of points at a young age, but has won no championships. JJ is projected to win a couple of titles and probably a couple of MVP awards. He's sort of reminiscent of Steve Nash, the two-time MVP who didn't do much his his first 8 or 9 years in the league. Then he dominated. Although Lebron has a lot of court sense, JJ is truly a coach on the floor. The brainy Duke grad is likely to be a college or NBA coach some day.

Evaluation: JJ gets an ever-so-slight edge.

Hoop fans want to weigh in?

 
Old 05-02-2009, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Galewood
3,761 posts, read 8,698,484 times
Reputation: 2191
joke topic People in your area must not be fans of basketball- JJ Redick is the wrong great white hype
 
Old 05-02-2009, 12:09 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,124,355 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
joke topic People in your area must not be fans of basketball- JJ Redick is the wrong great white hype
Im in the NC/VA area. ACC heaven. Yeah, I'd say we do know our hoops. Pretty well. Why? Which one of our assessments do you disagree with?
 
Old 05-02-2009, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
1,860 posts, read 4,443,975 times
Reputation: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Obviously JJ Superstar Redick and Lebron James are 1 and 1A of their generation. People in my area are evenly split on which one is actually better. Below is the breakdown.

Height: Lebron
Shooting ability: JJ
Driving ability: Lebron
Passing ability: Even
Court smarts: JJ
Ability to get open: Lebron (because of height)
Hops: Lebron
Defense: Lebron (because of height)
Shooting 3s: JJ
Free Throws: JJ
College: JJ was the best college player in 35 years (Sullivan Award winner) He had a final four, won the ACC title 3 times and was 7-3 against UNC. Lebron didn't go to college.
Clutch: JJ scored 15 clutch points in Orlando's upset win last game. Lebron also has done well in some big games, but disappeared in the Championship series in 2007 when it counted.
Endorsements: Lebron, because he appeals to a cross-section of basketball-playing McDonald's-eating consumers. JJ is more Ivy League, but will ultimately be a big endorser as basketball looks to upgrade its image.

Overall analysis: The general assessment is that Lebron started fast because of his athleticism. JJ is like a fine wine that historically rises to the top of whichever league he is in over time. Lebron has scored a lot of points at a young age, but has won no championships. JJ is projected to win a couple of titles and probably a couple of MVP awards. He's sort of reminiscent of Steve Nash, the two-time MVP who didn't do much his his first 8 or 9 years in the league. Then he dominated. Although Lebron has a lot of court sense, JJ is truly a coach on the floor. The brainy Duke grad is likely to be a college or NBA coach some day.

Evaluation: JJ gets an ever-so-slight edge.

Hoop fans want to weigh in?
You're serious??

People in 'your area' must never watch basketball then. Lebron is arguably the best player in the NBA right now (if not the best, definitely right up there w/Kobe). JJ Redick doesn't even start for Orlando, and at times doesn't even get in the game. Who cares what he did in college, you know how much Lebron would have dominated had he played in the ACC or anywhere in college bball?? If Orlando wins an NBA championship, it's not going to b/c mainly b/c of JJ either.

I'm not even going to waste any more time debating this ridiculous argument.
 
Old 05-02-2009, 12:18 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,124,355 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
You're serious??

People in 'your area' must never watch basketball then. Lebron is arguably the best player in the NBA right now (if not the best, definitely right up there w/Kobe). JJ Redick doesn't even start for Orlando, and at times doesn't even get in the game. Who cares what he did in college, you know how much Lebron would have dominated had he played in the ACC or anywhere in college bball?? If Orlando wins an NBA championship, it's not going to b/c mainly b/c of JJ either.

I'm not even going to waste any more time debating this ridiculous argument.
JJ won the game for Orlando on the road last time out.

Pop quiz: 12 years ago, which player would you said would win more MVP awards? Steve Nash or Joe Smith? You wouldn't have even wanted to debate that question, would you? Nash won 2 MVP's. What's Joe Smith doing?
 
Old 05-02-2009, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Galewood
3,761 posts, read 8,698,484 times
Reputation: 2191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Im in the NC/VA area. ACC heaven. Yeah, I'd say we do know our hoops. Pretty well. Why? Which one of our assessments do you disagree with?
All the above- how is someone a better defensive player because of their height? Sure JJ is a better "pure" shooter, but how about with a hand in his face, etc etc...JJ iscomparable to Eddie House
 
Old 05-02-2009, 12:24 PM
 
542 posts, read 1,295,612 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Im in the NC/VA area. ACC heaven. Yeah, I'd say we do know our hoops. Pretty well. Why? Which one of our assessments do you disagree with?
your buddies obviously know nothing about nba basketball. this isn't even a worthy topic.
 
Old 05-02-2009, 12:25 PM
 
542 posts, read 1,295,612 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
All the above- how is someone a better defensive player because of their height? Sure JJ is a better "pure" shooter, but how about with a hand in his face, etc etc...JJ iscomparable to Eddie House

jj is comparable to shawn respert
 
Old 05-02-2009, 12:26 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,124,355 times
Reputation: 202
I have to admit. I'm floored that so many of you don't know what JJ did in college.
 
Old 05-02-2009, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Galewood
3,761 posts, read 8,698,484 times
Reputation: 2191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I have to admit. I'm floored that so many of you don't know what JJ did in college.
Sorry I hit you so hard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top