Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 AM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times

Advertisements

Ok, to keep us all occupied until next season starts, here is a thread where we can talk about what goes on during this off-season, trades, coaches being replaced.

First off, let's talk about the Orlando Magic, are they on the right track, or will they be a victim of not getting back to the finals like the last couple of losing finals teams?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:39 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
LOL @ Shaq signing with the Cavs.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times
Turkoglu will be a free agent in 2 weeks, that's a big blow to the Magic.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:11 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
LOL @ Shaq signing with the Cavs.
He wouldn't be signing with them, it would be a trade between the Cavs and Suns. Basically I think Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovich both have expiring contracts that equal up to Shaqs contract. And Shaq is in the final year of his contract next year and will be making $20,000,000, so if the trade does happen, even if it doesn't work out for the Cavs they'll have plenty of money to use to resign Lebron and go after one of the other big name free agents like Chris Bosh or Amare Stoudamire. So I think it would be a great trade for the Cavs because theres really no risk involved in making the trade. Although I'd rather see them sign Turkgalu or Boozer.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 PM

Free agent Ariza wants to come back to Lakers

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- Trevor Ariza says he would love to return to the Los Angeles Lakers next season.

The fifth-year forward is a free agent, along with teammate Lamar Odom.

Ariza averaged 11.3 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists during the Lakers' run to their 15th NBA championship. He raised his stock considerably in the postseason, including shutting down Orlando's Hedo Turkoglu in the Game 5 clincher on Sunday.

NBA.com: Free agent Ariza wants to come back to Lakers

Old 06-17-2009, 07:18 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Shaq to me isn't going to give the Cavs that extra push to the NBA title, he is old, slow and will demand touches and a lot of money. Not only that, but thats hardly incentive for 'Bron to stay, you need to get some sort of younger player that can be a factor for years to come.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:54 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Shaq to me isn't going to give the Cavs that extra push to the NBA title, he is old, slow and will demand touches and a lot of money. Not only that, but thats hardly incentive for 'Bron to stay, you need to get some sort of younger player that can be a factor for years to come.
There's some credence to what you're saying, but don't think for a minute that Danny Ferry & Dan Gilbert hasn't had conversations w/Lebron about bringing Shaq in. Not to mention, if they only have to give up Ben Wallace & Sasha Pavlovic to get him, they'd be dumb not too being that Shaq is about to enter the last year of his contract as well and is a huge upgrade looking at their current big men.

I agree though in that I'd rather see them get someone younger like Bosh or dare I say as a Cav fan Carlos Boozer, however, given their salary cap situation and the small likelihood of them getting anybody like that, think Shaq is a nice alternative. I wouldn't mind them going after Charlie Villanueva as well who has expressed interest in coming to Cleveland.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:14 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
I'm surprised Shaq hasn't retired yet. I also wonder if he regrets that song he did about Kobe last year now that "the player formely known as #8" has won a title without the Big Diesel.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:55 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,614,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I'm surprised Shaq hasn't retired yet. I also wonder if he regrets that song he did about Kobe last year now that "the player formely known as #8" has won a title without the Big Diesel.
I think Shaq is supposed to make 20 million this coming season. That is incentive enough to not retire. But it will be the last of his big time contracts so maybe after next year. But I can still see him playing for 5 mil a year.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 AM

Cavs' new part owners interested in signing Yao

BEIJING (AP) -- Houston's Yao Ming has called a possible move to Cleveland an "unknown," but did nothing to dampen ongoing speculation that the Cavaliers' new Chinese part owners want to sign him.

In a recent interview with his hometown Shanghai TV station, Yao said he continued to have "much affection" for the Rockets, the team that picked him as a first-round draft pick in 2003 and with whom he has played all six of his NBA seasons.

NBA.com: Cavs' new part owners interested in signing Yao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball