Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 04:23 PM

433 posts, read 875,758 times

Advertisements

Who would win in a seven game series between the Cavs and Celtics with the roster currently the way they are and assuming that Kevin Garnet will be 100 percent?

I think the Cavs have the edge because there core players are younger and the improved depth on the perimeter.

I'm not quiet sure if Rasheed Wallace really will help them because he has lost has passion to play defense as well as to bang down low in the paint. His temper will be an issue in critical moments of the game. Cavs in six!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 04:34 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,126 times
I would tend to agree.

When the Celtics were at their pinnacle just two years ago, the Cavaliers found themselves down just 89-88 in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals in Boston.

Since then, I think it's very hard to argue that Cleveland hasn't improved its stock more than Boston has. The additions of Shaq, Parker, Moon, Powe with only very minimal losses certainly do more for a Cavaliers team than a Rasheed Wallace does for Boston.

Boston is no slouch, though. With a healthy Garnett, they certainly take Cleveland to 6 games.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:37 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,652,142 times
The Cavs have by far improved their team more than the Celtics have. Now don't get me wrong, with a healthy Kevin Garnett they have a monster starting 5. I think where the Cavs would have the advantage is the fact that they grabbed so many quality bench players in free agency. You could actually make a case that Anthony Parker should start over Delonte. I've always thought he would be better coming off the bench anyway.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:54 AM

521 posts, read 1,629,177 times
Now I don't like either team - - But in terms of in the playoffs, where it counts, I'd take the Celtics over the Cavs. The Celtics are a clutch team capable of winning it all, again. The Cavs on the other hand, are more capable of crumbling down in clutch moments and/or choking altogether (as they did against the Magic).

Old 08-26-2009, 07:25 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,071 times
Definitely not a fan of either team. But if everyone is healthy I have to take Boston. To me, the 2008 playoff series did not mean as much as people think. If Cleveland can hang with Boston because of that series then the Hawks must be contenders.

Boston's front court is downright nasty. KG, Perkins, Rasheed, and Big Baby will be formidable against ANY team. I was especially impressed with Perkins in the 2009 playoffs. I also think the experience of having already been there as a team gives Boston an edge.

Lastly, the reason I would take Boston over the Cavs (and any of the other elite teams) is they have more balance. Even with Shaq, the Cavs will still over rely on LeBron. Boston can beat you in so many different ways.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:20 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,652,142 times
Yeah but don't count the Cavs out to make a huge trade. They have a big expiring contract in Z's, and alot of teams are looking to dump salary for the 2010 free agency. I wouldn't be suprised to see the Cavs get a very good PF, which would easily put them over the top.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:09 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Yeah but don't count the Cavs out to make a huge trade. They have a big expiring contract in Z's, and alot of teams are looking to dump salary for the 2010 free agency. I wouldn't be suprised to see the Cavs get a very good PF, which would easily put them over the top.
I don't doubt the Cavs could make a big trade. But at this point you have to go with what teams already have. Also, roster shake ups with two thirds of the season gone (a February trade) are not always a good idea. I see the Lakers, Spurs, and Celtics all going into the playoffs with the same roster they start with in September. That gives them an edge.

Of course, the wild card in injuries. All teams have to worry about it, but the Celtics are especially vulnerable. I would add that Cleveland is also vulnerable with Shaq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball