U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:58 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,368,561 times

Advertisements

The season is right around the corner. How do you feel about YOUR team? I will get the ball rolling about how I feel about MY team...

Chicago Bulls---We have a great player in D Rose, and a potentially good to great player in L Deng. Noah brings insane energy which I like, but needs to find his way offensively. Our biggest leak to me is coaching, as I am still not sold on Vinny Del Negro. They ended their season last year with one of the great playoff series of all time vs the Boston Celtics--but finished the reg season at .500. So my prediction is a 45-37 record and losing in the second round to the Cavs.

Other story lines for this season----

Can Shaq be the missing piece that finally gives the long tormented fans of Cleveland a title?

Can the Kobe show implement Artest into their offense effectively and make a run at repeating?

Boston's window for another title run may be closing, can they stay away from the injury bug this year?

Will people enjoy this season, or just count down until this off-seasons vaunted free agent group?

Will the Knicks actually put together a respectable 82 game season?

Can the Magic repeat as EC Champs?

It's here people! I am taking the Cavs over Lakers in 6

http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/0/c/9/7/PicImg_NBA_MAR_10_5703.JPG (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:28 AM

7,238 posts, read 8,245,233 times
I'm optimistic about the Mavericks having a good year. I like the addition of Marion and Gooden, but I hated to see Brandon Bass go. Hopefully they won't start the season off as bad as my NHL team has.

Don't know what to say about the Hometown Bobcats though, will they even find a way to attract fans this year?

also to add on the op's storylines, here are important dates for the new season
-October 27: Start of the 2009-10 NBA Regular Season
-October 27 – November 4: NBA Tip-Off 2009
-January 5: 10-day contracts may now be signed
-January 10: All contracts are guaranteed for the remainder of the season
-February 12-15: 2010 NBA All-Star Game (Dallas, TX)
-February 18: Trade deadline, 3 p.m. ET
-April 14: Regular Season ends
-April 17: 2010 NBA Playoffs begin

Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,444,676 times
I hope you're right Orangeish about your final prediction! I think the Cavs will be in the Finals, but not sure they have enough to get by the Lakers, think it will come down to home court.

I do still have a few concerns about the Cavs, one being Delonte West and his instability, although adding Anthony Parker & Jamario Moon adds some security/depth for them that they didn't have last year.

And of course Shaq staying healthy, if he can, think they have a real good thing going in that they can play Shaq 25 minutes or so a night, and then sub in Z who is a polar opposite player at Center and will make teams adjust.

One other X factor could be Leon Powe in that if he can return by mid-season and be healthy, will give them a nice boost off the bench at Power Forward.

I definitely think the Cavaliers have a shot at the Larry O'Brien Trophy this year, but they will have some solid competition coming from Boston & LA especially and Orlando as well - even though I think they took a step back losing Turkgolu & Lee despite adding Vince Carter.

Excited for the game tomorrow night and seeing Lebron & Shaq out there together!

Old 10-27-2009, 03:22 PM

I know I got my Bulls/Bobcats tickets Canes, so thats one more ticket sold this year than last year at least! The sports guy on news channel 14 said the Bobcats will be going to the playoffs, I def. disagree. Anytime most of your billboards/ads show your coach as the marquee selling point of your team, you are in for a long year. I could be wrong, but I don't see this team winning more than 32-34 games, at best.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:52 AM

Interesting that the Cavs open the season with a loss at home, did not expect that. It is really odd seeing Sheed in a Celtics unform for some reason.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:39 AM

73 posts, read 104,425 times
cavs will not be in the finals. shaq adds little at this point and the ball will be in lebron's hands too much as he dribbles and goes one on one while everyone else stands and watches. cavs have serious holes

Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,205,971 times
i just love all the dooms day predictions for the cavs since they lost their 1st game by 5 points to a relatively even team. hell that game could have gone either way in the last 2-3 minutes. its one game, there are 81 more before the playoffs even start.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:45 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,444,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue125 View Post
cavs will not be in the finals. shaq adds little at this point and the ball will be in lebron's hands too much as he dribbles and goes one on one while everyone else stands and watches. cavs have serious holes
I hope you're not just basing that opinion on last night's game alone (as it sounds like you are) when that was their first 'real' game together and they're still feeling Shaq, Parker and Moon out, all against one of the top 5 teams in the league. Not making excuses, Boston executed and showed why they will be a contender to win the East. And Lebron really only did that in the 4th quarter when they needed him to dominate to have a chance (the same thing MJ did for the Bulls in the 90s and Kobe does for the Lakers). I'm not concerned after just one game, not to mention they didn't have arguably their 2nd best offensive threat from last season in Delonte West.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:55 PM

73 posts, read 104,425 times
no i am basing that opinion on cleveland's roster. it will be the same in many games this season for the cavs (especially against the better teams). sure the cavs will win regular season games but when it counts their achilles heel will do them in.

shaq doesn't require a double team anymore so shooters don't get room. the guards are small. who can shaq and ilgauskas guard particulalry if they are playing a team with bigs who can step out on the floor. there is no 4 who can score. lebron is a talent to be sure but there is not enough talent around him and it's a five man game not a one man game. five always beats one.

cleveland regressed in the offseason. its moves did not solve its problems and the team did not move forward as a result.other teams moved forward.

just my opinion.

and by your argument boston is still integrating sheed and marquis and was without a top reserve and having kg shake the rust off.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:52 PM

7,238 posts, read 8,245,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I know I got my Bulls/Bobcats tickets Canes, so thats one more ticket sold this year than last year at least! The sports guy on news channel 14 said the Bobcats will be going to the playoffs, I def. disagree. Anytime most of your billboards/ads show your coach as the marquee selling point of your team, you are in for a long year. I could be wrong, but I don't see this team winning more than 32-34 games, at best.
I could see the 'Cats squeaking in as maybe the #8 seed, but probably nothing higher than that. To most of us who grew up here in the last 20 years, the Bobcats will never replace what the Hornets meant to this town, esp. in the early days when they were all we had.

Anyways like I said before. Go Mavs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or