U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 26 days ago)

9,832 posts, read 21,142,259 times

Advertisements

Whether LeBron stays or goes (and where) seems to be the main topic already. Where do you think he will go, or will he stay in Cleveland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 02:16 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,363,957 times
I don't think he stays in Cleveland, but I guess it is not impossible. I also don't think he will go to the NYK, not sure why he would do that, plenty of teams will pay max dollar for him. I really hope he does not go to the Lakers, as some are speculating recently, but I would imagine he would want to go to a team that has some established players already. Sam Smith wrote an article which he put forth a pretty plausible scenario in which he ends up on the Bulls, and that would be amazing.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:18 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,988,384 times
This is going to be the talk for some time......

It's hard tell. I do know, whatever he does, the owners are going to have to spend the money to build a team the can win a Ring for James. That's not an option.

I'll be keeping up with this thread.

Ron

Old 11-12-2009, 03:37 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,086 times
i say he stays because he can get the most money there. he says the money is not the thing, winning is but that is what every single player says right before they sign a maxed out deal for a losing team.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:42 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,895,862 times
Watch out for Mark Cuban and the Mavs - money, player comfort, and a shared interest in winning (the Mavs' core is getting long in the tooth).

Old 11-12-2009, 06:48 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,529,289 times
Take my word for it: the media in New York has been hyping the possibility of the Knicks emptying out the vaults to sign James the moment his contract expires. (I personally have doubts as to whether this makes them automatic playoff contenders; the Bulls didn't start winning when they drafted Jordan. They started winning when they assembled a team around him. It wouldn't be any different in New York).

Old 11-21-2009, 10:04 AM

2,368 posts, read 6,829,180 times
Im really getting sick of hearing about all these possabilities where LeBron could end up. As of right now he's playing on a 9-4, while the Knicks are what 1-9 or 1-10 or whatever. And how many times has a superstar player taken a huge pay decrease to play with another superstar or two?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:25 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,363,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Im really getting sick of hearing about all these possabilities where LeBron could end up. As of right now he's playing on a 9-4, while the Knicks are what 1-9 or 1-10 or whatever. And how many times has a superstar player taken a huge pay decrease to play with another superstar or two?
I'm not reaching to say that the caliber of this free agent class is unprecedented, right? Not only in quality of talent, but the amount of it as well. Point is, a team like the NYK could pick up two major players and become a contender pretty easily.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:13 AM

2,368 posts, read 6,829,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I'm not reaching to say that the caliber of this free agent class is unprecedented, right? Not only in quality of talent, but the amount of it as well. Point is, a team like the NYK could pick up two major players and become a contender pretty easily.
Yeah, but the Cavs are already a contender every year. And they also have money coming off the books as Shaqs as well as I think Big Zs contract expire. So I'd think they would also have the money to sign a star free agent to go along with LeBron.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:30 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,441,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Yeah, but the Cavs are already a contender every year. And they also have money coming off the books as Shaqs as well as I think Big Zs contract expire. So I'd think they would also have the money to sign a star free agent to go along with LeBron.
That's correct, Shaq & Z both will be free agents freeing up $30+ million in cap space. I just wish they hadn't signed Varajeo to such a massive contract this past off-season (like 6 years, $40+ million), especially as we start to see the potential JJ Hickson has at the 4 spot. For that reason, I'm kind of glad the Cavs didn't land Stephen Jackson in a trade b/c that would have tied down $10 million/year in cap space for the next 3 years, even though he probably does help the team a bit this year w/all the uncertainty around Delonte West.

All this Lebron/D. Wade on the same team speculation I find hard to believe, as another poster mentioned, superstars rarely can co-exist (see Kobe & Shaq when he was in his prime). Michael had Scottie who was a star player, but not in the top echelon of the league. Magic had Worthy -who again, really good player, but not elite status - and Kareem (who was on the back-side of his career).

I think it's helping the Cavaliers chances being the Knicks have won 2 games and the Nets are still winless. I don't really see him going anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball