U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:29 PM
FBJ

33,583 posts, read 22,865,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes you are right, ironically, if Lin plays his brains out down the stretch and in the playoffs then it's likely that other teams will bid more for him and the Knicks will have to match (if they can) if they want to keep him.

If they give Lin a 5 year 25mil deal and then pay the other 8 guys a total of say....15mil...that would put them about 10mil over the cap which would land them a luxury tax of maybe 20mil or so which isn't horrible.

It's when teams get to 90 or 100mil starting in 2 years that the tax starts to get quite frankly unpayable for even the wealthiest franchises.
I don't think he is getting a five year deal from nobody no matter what he does-lol I think more like 3 years tops is what he will be offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:24 AM

29,769 posts, read 18,099,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't think he is getting a five year deal from nobody no matter what he does-lol I think more like 3 years tops is what he will be offered.
Ok, make it a 3 year deal with a player option for a 4th year and you have the exact same situation. Luxury tax implications, cap implications.

Further speculation is meaningless....Lin might quit the NBA to go sailing in the Carribean for all we know....just pointing out the reality of another team making him a sufficient offer that the Knicks might not be able to retain him.

Edited to add that I don't think anyone can make any rational predictions about what the Knicks will do given the Dolans are likely to be involved.

Last edited by Mathguy; 03-26-2012 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 06:10 PM

5,581 posts, read 3,881,304 times
Maybe we can stop with linstupidity now????? Lin having surgery and likely out for the season.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:35 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Maybe we can stop with linstupidity now????? Lin having surgery and likely out for the season.
The title of this thread is so true-lol They lose two KEY players in the middle of a playoff run. If they do make the playoffs they will be swept 4-0

Old 03-31-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
The title of this thread is so true-lol They lose two KEY players in the middle of a playoff run. If they do make the playoffs they will be swept 4-0
Nah, the curse is way bigger than having a few injuries.

Let's put it this way.

What do you think the chance is of them winning the atlantic division in the next 10 years (they are going on 18 years right now without winning it).

I'd say less than 50%.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:32 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Nah, the curse is way bigger than having a few injuries.

Let's put it this way.

What do you think the chance is of them winning the atlantic division in the next 10 years (they are going on 18 years right now without winning it).

I'd say less than 50%.
Why when

1. Boston is close to rebuilding

2. Sixers are not as talented

3. All the other teams stink

Old 04-01-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Why when

1. Boston is close to rebuilding

2. Sixers are not as talented

3. All the other teams stink
Knicks are :
1) Aging with stars that don' play D. (See Amare, Melo)
2) Knicks have virtually no cap, either the hard cap or luxury tax cap and will be unable to add more talent to the struggling squad they already have.
3) in 4 years when these contracts end....the dolans will still be there. They will repeat the sins of the past when the Knicks decide to rebuild.
4) Knicks will be good enough to get *blah* draft picks.

I mean DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH. They have 65+mil tied up in Melo, Amare and Chandler each year. We predicted they'd be mediocre, they ARE mediocre....and they've now peaked.

I guess that if the Atlantic falls so far that the best team in the Atlantic is the 10th or so best team in the East then I am wrong.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 PM

278 posts, read 169,232 times
looks like j. smith did not get the tank memo vs the clippers today. will the knicks try to tank to the bobcats (worst team in the league) also in their final game? JUST TO AVOID THE HEAT. what cowards

Last edited by bradyischamp; 04-25-2012 at 09:37 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 AM

3,764 posts, read 4,443,903 times
Quote:
Knicks are :
1) Aging with stars that don' play D. (See Amare, Melo)
2) Knicks have virtually no cap, either the hard cap or luxury tax cap and will be unable to add more talent to the struggling squad they already have.
3) in 4 years when these contracts end....the dolans will still be there. They will repeat the sins of the past when the Knicks decide to rebuild.
4) Knicks will be good enough to get *blah* draft picks.

I mean DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH. They have 65+mil tied up in Melo, Amare and Chandler each year. We predicted they'd be mediocre, they ARE mediocre....and they've now peaked.

I guess that if the Atlantic falls so far that the best team in the Atlantic is the 10th or so best team in the East then I am wrong.
The teams in the atlantic are
New York
Boston
Philly
Toronto
New Jersey
Which of these teams are in much better position then the Knicks are? None of them(save the Celtics who only have a few years left of elite play).

Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
The teams in the atlantic are
New York
Boston
Philly
Toronto
New Jersey
Which of these teams are in much better position then the Knicks are? None of them(save the Celtics who only have a few years left of elite play).
None of those teams really has to get to be THAT good to still be better than the Knicks. If they can win their division in a few years playing slightly better than .500 ball then by all means congratulated them on their major accomplishment.

Again, this is a huge accomplishment by the Knicks just to get back to decent. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball