Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:53 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times

Advertisements

I was just curious since i don't know how the financial cap/money all work, but could Lebron be a Laker next year if the Lakers let Kobe be a free agent this summer? My understanding is that Kobe is gonna be a free agent this summer. What if the Lakers decide not to re-sign him and go for Lebron, not that i think that will ever happen, but just saying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 08:56 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Kobe is the Laker's "bread & butter" and is a long way from getting Shaq'd. Lebron coming to LA would be a fantasy that California can not afford!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:10 PM

Can someone with knowledge about salary caps and luxury tax explain how this would be impossible as far as financial reasons? I can see why the trade wouldn't work for other reasons.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - Los Angeles Lakers

ok so the salary cap is going to come down next season. it is around 57 mil this yr and is expected to be between 50 and 54 mil next. the lux tax is around 70 mil this year (anything over and the team has to pay dollar for dollar to the league for being over) and should come down towards the 66 mil mark next season.
looking at the lakers current salary for next season, $83.9 mil or about 18 mil over the tax. this means they not only have to pay the extra 18 mil to the players but match it making every player over the tax cost double. (is lamar odom a 16 mil a yr player?). the lakers also only have 8 players under contract and the league requires 13. (they have 2 qualifying offers i expect dont get offered.)

LBJ is going to demand 20 mil per year for sure which would make him a 40 mil/yr player to the lakers as they would be WAY over the tax. that would put them at 103 mil and still needing 4 players to even field a team.

in other words IMPOSSIBLE!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:59 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
I don't see Kobe leaving the Lakers and I don't think Lebron wants to share the limelight with anyone. That's why I think he'll be in NY next year.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:46 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I don't see Kobe leaving the Lakers and I don't think Lebron wants to share the limelight with anyone. That's why I think he'll be in NY next year.
If he does go anywhere, it's definitely NYC, however, the Knicks are about where the Cavs where after Lebron's first season, and with him wanting to win championships can't see why he'd leave. Not to mention that Cleveland is 40 minutes from his mansion.

As far as the limelight, what more can he ask than being on national TV about 30 times/season (it's great for me as a Cavs fan living outside of Ohio as I get to see them a lot!)? And, everyone seems to forget that the Cavs can offer more $$ and a longer contract by a year than other teams.

As for him becoming a Laker, there's about as much chance of that happening as there is Kobe becoming a Cavalier.

At the end of the day, none of us really know where LBJ will end up, b/c lets face it, no matter how much we the fans or the so-called 'experts' analyze this every which way, as Infideldrick 'Tiger' Woods has shown us all the past 2 months, we don't really know these guys no matter how much we 'think' we do.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - Los Angeles Lakers

ok so the salary cap is going to come down next season. it is around 57 mil this yr and is expected to be between 50 and 54 mil next. the lux tax is around 70 mil this year (anything over and the team has to pay dollar for dollar to the league for being over) and should come down towards the 66 mil mark next season.
looking at the lakers current salary for next season, $83.9 mil or about 18 mil over the tax. this means they not only have to pay the extra 18 mil to the players but match it making every player over the tax cost double. (is lamar odom a 16 mil a yr player?). the lakers also only have 8 players under contract and the league requires 13. (they have 2 qualifying offers i expect dont get offered.)

LBJ is going to demand 20 mil per year for sure which would make him a 40 mil/yr player to the lakers as they would be WAY over the tax. that would put them at 103 mil and still needing 4 players to even field a team.

in other words IMPOSSIBLE!
Kobe's contract ends this summer also. Wouldn't he command at least 20mil per year when he re-signs? What i was saying is if the Lakers let Kobe go and go after Lebron, it would be the same as if Kobe stayed right? Basically, a swap right?

Last edited by JL; 01-11-2010 at 06:12 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I didn't say the Lakers were gonna keep Kobe and also sign Lebron. I meant letting Kobe become a free agent and sign with someone else and go after Lebron. Lebron is 25yrs old. In reality, the Lakers would never let Kobe due to various reasons, but i was trying to see if the numbers make sense.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:46 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I didn't say the Lakers were gonna keep Kobe and also sign Lebron. I meant letting Kobe become a free agent and sign with someone else and go after Lebron. Lebron is 25yrs old. In reality, the Lakers would never let Kobe due to various reasons, but i was trying to see if the numbers make sense.
Read my comments. I never said having both.The fact is Lebron wants to be a big name in a place where there is none and not taking the place of one.For that reason he will definitely NOT be a Laker no matter what. I do think he is an egomaniac and for that reason he will be a Knick.He wants to be talked about the way the Yankees are and he knows coming into NY he would revive the faith in the Knicks even if the Dolans still own the team.Been a long time since NY had a name and that was Ewing so he knows the money will come on and off the field from endorsements that will vastly overshadow Cleveland $$$.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:35 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Kobe's contract ends this summer also. Wouldn't he command at least 20mil per year when he re-signs? What i was saying is if the Lakers let Kobe go and go after Lebron, it would be the same as if Kobe stayed right? Basically, a swap right?
kobe's contract doesnt end this year, he has another year left (2010-2011). where he is getting 24+. now if the lakers did let him go, and brought in lebron, sure it would be a swap but it would also be stupid. i mean sure lebron has more nba life in his legs but what would be the point? lebron plays in the paint so much, where would he fit in there with bynam and gasol? where would odom (who is already over paid) and artest, (also over paid) fit, and then who takes the SG spot?

this whole thread just makes zero sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball