Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:41 AM

369 posts, read 776,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Sorry, 13-15 don't belong on this list. You think any one of them are better than Amar'e Stoudemire, who was neglected on all of these lists? Brandon Roy, Monta Ellis, and Pau Gasol are also better than all three of them, and Rajon Rondo? Kid can't shoot - Nash may be old, but he's certainly ahead of Rondo if we're talking PG play.

Will agree with most of the posters, though. Lebron is THE best player in the NBA.
Monta Ellis is on the list, Rondo is a much better PG than Nash, Nash is a great 3 shooter and great passer, Rondo is amazingly athletic, passes well, gets boards, recently developed a decent mid range jumper, and is arguably the best player on the Celtics today...and he knows how to play defense (Nash doesn't). Have you seen Gerald Wallace play this year? He has more rebounds and points per game than pau gasol. I suppose you could try and edge Gasol over Gay but for me its a toss up because Gay can hit threes. As far as B.Roy is concerned he was on the list last year, but recently he has been quite a disappointment. Amare hahhaa he may be doing well offensively but everyone on this list (including Rondo) would run right through him like a turnstile...absolutely no defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:05 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,383,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
There isn't anyone that really agrees with this statement. Anyone I've ever seen say that Kobe is better than Lebron admits its rather marginal/pretty close call. "So much more superior?" Now, I'm going to wonder if you're a Lakers homer.

Kobe's a better shooter overall than Lebron. It used to be, however, that Kobe was heads and shoulders the better shooter over Lebron but that's no longer true.

The fact is that Lebron is one of the BEST passers in the NBA, has along with Nash, the best court-vision in the NBA, a tremendous decision-maker, is the BEST defensive player in the NBA, and the guy is a PG/SG/SF/PF, rebounds tremendously, takes it to the hole, posts people up and drives to the rim with authority.

He's more versatile to Kobe. In part, it's unfair because Kobe is getting up there in age. He's not expected to do a lot of the dirty work that he used to do. In part, he also doesn't have Lebron's body. Lebron is just an all-around player that Kobe isn't. It's not a knock on Kobe but Lebron IS the best player in the NBA.
Yes, I am a Laker fan & think Kobe is almost a hero but I also admire Lebron James & followed him even when he was still in high school in NYC. I think Lebron is stronger than Kobe [he looks like a football player] and has incredible accuracy. Anyone see him make a basket at the half court line with his back to the hoop? Lebron will be the next great but is still years behind Kobe Bryant. I don't think Lebron has the same ability as Kobe to do "fade away" shots & turn himself completely around mid air while making a field goal. Kobe is truly amazing in a way that Lebron hasn't yet reached.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:06 PM

228 posts, read 554,968 times
When Lakers fans point to Kobe's 4 Rings vs. LeBron's 0 Rings, how conveniently they forget ...

Post-Shaq/Pre-Gasol Kobe and the Lakers:
2004-2005: 34-48, missed playoffs
2005-2006: 45-37, eliminated in 1st rd
2006-2007: 42-40, eliminated in 1st rd

LeBron took the Cavs to The Finals in 2006-2007 as a 22 year old with the following starting lineup:
Sasha Pavlovic (bench player for Timberwolves)
Drew Gooden (bench player for Mavs)
Larry Hughes (bench player for Knicks)
Z (bench player for Cavs)

Last edited by healthpub; 01-26-2010 at 01:51 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 01:10 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Yes, I am a Laker fan & think Kobe is almost a hero but I also admire Lebron James & followed him even when he was still in high school in NYC.
Lebron didn't go to high school in NYC, I'm pretty sure just about every NBA fan knows he went to high school in Akron.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,383,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Lebron didn't go to high school in NYC, I'm pretty sure just about every NBA fan knows he went to high school in Akron.
Are you sure? I thought he and Carmelo Anthony played for high schools in New York City.

Edit: my mistake.

Last edited by californio sur; 01-26-2010 at 01:30 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 05:22 PM

369 posts, read 776,570 times
Lebron went to an Akron school and i believe Mello went to Oak Hill.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:00 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Steve Nash
Surprised no one mentioned Nash before this....but you have to put Tony Parker on the list too. (ahead of Nash)

Old 02-02-2010, 12:14 PM

133 posts, read 290,289 times
1. Kobe
2. Lebron
3. Chris Paul
4. D-Wade
5. Dirk Nowitzki
6. Dwight Howard
7. Carmello Anthony
8. Kevin Durant
9. Tim Duncan
10. Deron Williams
11. Chris Bosh
12. Monta Ellis
13. Steve Nash
14. Brandon Roy
15. Pau Gasol

Old 02-02-2010, 03:22 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
How can you say that? Kobe is so much more superior than Lebron.
RIGHT NOW, I give Kobe a slight edge and consider him the best in the league. However, there is a BIG age difference and Lebron is going to get better as Kobe is probably going to start to fade a bit. (If kobe is 38 and in his last season and Lebron is in his prime do we dog Kobe for being worse? lol)

It's rather moot though, Lebron could suffer a crippling injury this season and never return to form...this is a discussion to have in 15 years. See you then.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:34 PM

228 posts, read 554,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthpub View Post
Here are mine (in order):
(1) LeBron
(2) Kobe
(3) Wade
(4) Dirk
(5) Duncan
(6) D Howard
(7) C Paul
(8) Carmelo
(9) Durant
(10) Yao
(11) Bosh
(12) Garnett
(13) Deron Williams
(14) Brandon Roy
(15) Paul Pierce
Solid picks everyone.
Gave rep points to all who participated.

Above is my top 15 list.
Regarding my top 15 ...
(1) Whenever you have equal overall talent, I think you got to pick big over small (Dwight over Chris Paul, for example). You go small over big only if the smaller guy is much more talented than the big (C Paul over Bosh, for example).
(2) Duncan over Dwight because, even at his advanced age, IMO, he's only a tad less better defensively but much more well-rounded offensively.
(3) Durant at #9 now but will eventually settle into 3-6 range (don't believe he’ll ever be better than LeBron or Kobe).
(4) Yao at #10 because, when healthy, he's a 7'6" guy who gets you 22pts/11rbds/85%FT.
(5) Paul Pierce makes my top 15 (#15) because he IS that good (numbers down b/c sharing the ball with Allen, Garnett, Rondo; otherwise, he's a 25pts/6rbds/5assists guy).

My thoughts regarding some of the other names brought up ...
(1) Steve Nash, Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups, Gerald Wallace and Pau Gasol would be in my next batch of names (16-20 range).
(2) Monte Ellis, IMO, is a top 15 scorer not top 15 player: an average defender and doesn't make others better (Gilbert Arenas 2.0).
(3) Amare Stoudemire, IMO, is top 25 (21-25 range) not top 15: awful defensively and inexcusable for a guy with that height/athleticism to not be averaging 10+ rebounds.
(4) Rondo, for me, at this point in his career, falls in the 25-30 range.

Last edited by healthpub; 02-02-2010 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball