Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 03:59 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times

Advertisements

Word is that Sabathia will be returning the favor to his buddy Lebron after he sold him on NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 08:02 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If Lebron went to the Knicks a guy like Wade, Joe Johnson, or another top free agent would be sure to follow. So 2 top players, and lots of role players would go very far. As for the Bulls teams, look at the current Lakers. Players willing to take less to play for them and teams that are out of it(playoff contention) give them good players for draft picks or backups.
Speaking specifically of the Bulls, since I followed them so closely....it was smart decisions more than any charity or underpayment that allowed them to do so well.

1) Toni Kukoc - Bulls were the first team to ambush draft out of Europe and think outside the box. (Like how the Celtics got Bird by drafting him with the 6th pick in 1978...note the Knicks could have drafted Bird 4th had they been smart enough to come up with the idea.) That's smart management.

2) Ron Harper - "washed up" no one really wanted him because he was no longer a primary scorer. He joins bulls and in a roll as 3rd option ate people up. (For reference, this is how the Bulls beat the Utah Jazz in the finals...it was pick on Hornacek and his 38yo bad knees.)

3) Rodman - Spurs wanted him GONE and not in western conf. This was to some degree...luck and them being a championship level team so this example holds "some" water.

4) Steve Kerr - Bulls got cheap since other teams didn't have the personnel that allowed him to be used correctly, or just didn't use him correctly.

5) Major major draft machinations to get Pippen and H. Grant in same draft.

You can't just buy a team, this isn't MLB, you have to make smart moves and role players are critical and just don't "happen". Not to mention in generally takes some time for chemistry to set in, but that is highly variable.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Speaking specifically of the Bulls, since I followed them so closely....it was smart decisions more than any charity or underpayment that allowed them to do so well.

1) Toni Kukoc - Bulls were the first team to ambush draft out of Europe and think outside the box. (Like how the Celtics got Bird by drafting him with the 6th pick in 1978...note the Knicks could have drafted Bird 4th had they been smart enough to come up with the idea.) That's smart management.

2) Ron Harper - "washed up" no one really wanted him because he was no longer a primary scorer. He joins bulls and in a roll as 3rd option ate people up. (For reference, this is how the Bulls beat the Utah Jazz in the finals...it was pick on Hornacek and his 38yo bad knees.)

3) Rodman - Spurs wanted him GONE and not in western conf. This was to some degree...luck and them being a championship level team so this example holds "some" water.

4) Steve Kerr - Bulls got cheap since other teams didn't have the personnel that allowed him to be used correctly, or just didn't use him correctly.

5) Major major draft machinations to get Pippen and H. Grant in same draft.

You can't just buy a team, this isn't MLB, you have to make smart moves and role players are critical and just don't "happen". Not to mention in generally takes some time for chemistry to set in, but that is highly variable.
I do mostly agree with your assessment. You had Jordan and just filled in around him. I still will say that if the Knicks did get Lebron and one more star they would be a front runner even if they don't necessarily go all the way. Playing as a team doesn't always take time though, Boston proved that. So if you have role players like a Gallinari and/or David Lee and a few others (forget E.Curry) the team can go very far. Nowadays teams can be bought even though the NBA is structured much better than MLB and makes it a bit more balanced with the $$$. You do have to realize though that NY is not Minn and lots of players will go to the Knicks if they know they're not going alone. Everyone likes being on the pedestal.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:50 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Quote:
If you think he envisions going to NY and the team will still be mediocre, and without drastic changes, then you are crazy. Some people thrive on the limelight and Lebron is one of them (to an extreme) and he know that there is no larger press and following than in a place like NY. Yes, the Dolans suck and everything they mess with goes bad like Newsday, and Cablevision but putting a bunch of stars on the court; it will play out itself. Do you really thin the Bulls with Jordan weren't going to win it all? I don't care if Phil Jackson or Phil Collins was coaching or who owned the team; they were going to win!
Lame. C'mon, dude. It took 7 years for Jordan to win his first Championship. He was 28 when they did it. When he finally did do it, he didn't win it all on his own and Phil Jackson was a huge reason why they were as good as they were. Furthermore, an organization with true basketball know-how was the biggest reason Jordan was so successful. Pippen, Longley, Grant, Armstrong, Kerr, Kukoc, Rodman, etc. didn't sign themselves. The organization in Cleveland has painstakingly built a championship caliber team around LeBron. And, it took about 6 years to do it. Do you really think he wants to go through that building process again?

So far, the New York Knicks organization is one of massive failure. They are banking on everything the city offers and little of what the organization does. And, anyone who has been to NYC knows that, once the initial awe wears off (and it does very quickly), it has little more to offer than any other city with 1+ million people in its metropolitan area other than a sky-high cost of living and an overbearing, fickle central media corp. They have a crap team and a coach that thinks defense is something that surrounds his Manhattan terrace. The team has no core players (other than Lee and he's likely gone) and needs a ton of work from top to bottom. If they bring in 2 star players for $35 million, they have about 18-20 million left to fill 13 roster spots. Good Luck. Given the Dolan system of sports failure, they'll certainly need it.

The only reason I can see LeBron leaving is if he can make a lot more money or if his current team sucked. He can't and it doesn't. As a matter of fact, he can make the most money in Cleveland and his team is already a perennial contender. As far as marketability, team location means squat. If you think it does, go ask Peyton Manning what he thinks about that.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Lame. C'mon, dude. It took 7 years for Jordan to win his first Championship. He was 28 when they did it. When he finally did do it, he didn't win it all on his own and Phil Jackson was a huge reason why they were as good as they were. Furthermore, an organization with true basketball know-how was the biggest reason Jordan was so successful. Pippen, Longley, Grant, Armstrong, Kerr, Kukoc, Rodman, etc. didn't sign themselves. The organization in Cleveland has painstakingly built a championship caliber team around LeBron. And, it took about 6 years to do it. Do you really think he wants to go through that building process again?

So far, the New York Knicks organization is one of massive failure. They are banking on everything the city offers and little of what the organization does. And, anyone who has been to NYC knows that, once the initial awe wears off (and it does very quickly), it has little more to offer than any other city with 1+ million people in its metropolitan area other than a sky-high cost of living and an overbearing, fickle central media corp. They have a crap team and a coach that thinks defense is something that surrounds his Manhattan terrace. The team has no core players (other than Lee and he's likely gone) and needs a ton of work from top to bottom. If they bring in 2 star players for $35 million, they have about 18-20 million left to fill 13 roster spots. Good Luck. Given the Dolan system of sports failure, they'll certainly need it.

The only reason I can see LeBron leaving is if he can make a lot more money or if his current team sucked. He can't and it doesn't. As a matter of fact, he can make the most money in Cleveland and his team is already a perennial contender. As far as marketability, team location means squat. If you think it does, go ask Peyton Manning what he thinks about that.
Lame? No,I don't think so. It took Garnett going to Boston in year 1 for them to do it. As for Jordan, he came into the league in the 80's and we all know basketball was different then. I personally don't think it makes sense either and he should have loyalty to a good organization trying to do the right thing by building from the ground up but this is still Lebron. You will see this offseason what he values the most,especially if Cleveland doesn't win it this year.
As for NYC,for most people it never wears off and no other city with over 1 million people compares to it. There are things known as food, art, and culture that can't be found anywhere else in the country and especially not in or around a place called Cleveland. Back to the original post. Yes the Dolans suck, but it probably wont matter.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I do mostly agree with your assessment. You had Jordan and just filled in around him. I still will say that if the Knicks did get Lebron and one more star they would be a front runner even if they don't necessarily go all the way. Playing as a team doesn't always take time though, Boston proved that. So if you have role players like a Gallinari and/or David Lee and a few others (forget E.Curry) the team can go very far. Nowadays teams can be bought even though the NBA is structured much better than MLB and makes it a bit more balanced with the $$$. You do have to realize though that NY is not Minn and lots of players will go to the Knicks if they know they're not going alone. Everyone likes being on the pedestal.
I hate to break it to you but the Knicks are more a urinal than a pedestal.
Basically, what major free agents have gone to NY in the past 10-20 years?

Look at all the big stars and NONE of them went to the Knicks. LMAO. Tell me the name of the last big free agent that went Knicks? Why now?

A "bit more balanced" you are on crack.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Lame? No,I don't think so. It took Garnett going to Boston in year 1 for them to do it. As for Jordan, he came into the league in the 80's and we all know basketball was different then. I personally don't think it makes sense either and he should have loyalty to a good organization trying to do the right thing by building from the ground up but this is still Lebron. You will see this offseason what he values the most,especially if Cleveland doesn't win it this year.
As for NYC,for most people it never wears off and no other city with over 1 million people compares to it. There are things known as food, art, and culture that can't be found anywhere else in the country and especially not in or around a place called Cleveland. Back to the original post. Yes the Dolans suck, but it probably wont matter.
Ok, so your argument is.....Lebron will go to the Knicks because of NY's awesomeness.....despite the owners sucking buttocks and constant firing of coaches and GM's. (at least they are hands off). lol.

I'm going to bump this post in a few months.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I hate to break it to you but the Knicks are more a urinal than a pedestal.
Basically, what major free agents have gone to NY in the past 10-20 years?

Look at all the big stars and NONE of them went to the Knicks. LMAO. Tell me the name of the last big free agent that went Knicks? Why now?

A "bit more balanced" you are on crack.
The difference is that Lebron can make the difference even if all the players on the current roster were returning but they will be upgrading. Think of this: Lebron and Amare, or Lebron and Bosh, or Lebron and Joe Johnson. Then they will fill in the rest. I do agree that they have sucked for a while and yes free agents have been leery to to go to the garden but this isn't adding a decent free agent,this is adding the top guy in the league. A decent player would not make a difference but LBJ will.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Ok, so your argument is.....Lebron will go to the Knicks because of NY's awesomeness.....despite the owners sucking buttocks and constant firing of coaches and GM's. (at least they are hands off). lol.

I'm going to bump this post in a few months.
All teams fire coaches that don't get results. All NY needs is one big free agent and the rest will start to follow. No big names and most others will stay away.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:45 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Quote:
AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! You don't get out much, do you? EVERYTHING, NY has can be found "in or around a place called Cleveland." Granted, it's on a smaller scale. But, it is definitely all here. Did you know that Cleveland has the largest theater district outside of NYC? Did you know that one of the world's best orchestras resides in Cleveland? Did you know that the Cleveland Museum of Art is widely considered one of the best in the US? I could go on and on and on...but the obvious answer is, "Of course you didn't." All they have in NYC is a little more variety and way higher prices. Also, I would put the food in the Cleve against anything in NYC not named Per Se (like anyone can afford to eat there anyway).

PS - The Dolans sucking is the primary reason why the Knicks are sucking. Landing LeBron won't change that very much. As we have already seen, one player can't win anything by himself. If for some reason LeBron decides to go to that "urinal" (thanks, Mathguy) of a team, it will be good for about a 5 win increase. Here's to 34 W's!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball