Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 04:38 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,242,426 times

Advertisements

Do any non-Cleveland residents think LeBron is staying with Cleveland this year? I don't see why he would stay in Cleveland. I'm not a Cavs fans nor do I have any conncetion to Ohio, but I would like to see him remain in Cleveland but I don't see any reason why he would stay there. The money, fame and ability to win a championship is in New York. The Knicks will have a great draft pick, they have a great coach, great crowd, more money and cap space to hire another top free agent. Why would LeBron stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 07:19 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,099,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Do any non-Cleveland residents think LeBron is staying with Cleveland this year? I don't see why he would stay in Cleveland. I'm not a Cavs fans nor do I have any conncetion to Ohio, but I would like to see him remain in Cleveland but I don't see any reason why he would stay there. The money, fame and ability to win a championship is in New York. The Knicks will have a great draft pick, they have a great coach, great crowd, more money and cap space to hire another top free agent. Why would LeBron stay?
I don't think he's staying.I've been saying all along that he will wind up in NY.If the Nets were going to be in Brooklyn then maybe there, but they will be a year too late.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:30 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,979,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The Knicks are far from a championship contender. Unless they sign Lebron and someone like Chris Bosh. A top draft pick isn't always a guarantee and the pick may not pay dividends for years.

He has a better chance to win sooner in Cleveland. That being said, I think he'll leave. Sometimes it seems as if he'd rather have his fame than a championship anyhow. If he goes to either NY or NJ/Brooklyn without another of the 2010 superstar free agents, he is showing that he only cares about his global icon status.

The city of Cleveland - an already depressed sports town - will be devastated if that happens.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:12 PM

927 posts, read 1,385,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I don't think he's staying.I've been saying all along that he will wind up in NY.If the Nets were going to be in Brooklyn then maybe there, but they will be a year too late.
Why would James want to sign up with that disaster of an organization? The Knicks have been one of the embarrassments of the league for quite sometime. And James presence on the team would make nearly no difference whatsoever. He would just be the one who gets all the media attention and the Knicks would still be crap.

The organization stinks from the top down. The powers that be in New York have no idea how to run and field even a consistently competitive team. Let alone a legit contender. No, I don't see James going to that black hole of basketball at all. He would end up playing out the duration of his career without even coming close to another trip to the Finals.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,068,805 times
I'm from Cleveland, moved to the Bay last year.

Here's the low-down:

If you asked me whether or not Lebron was staying and I had to answer the question 'yes' or 'no,' it would be no, he's not staying.

But it isn't because Cleveland isn't his best chance to win right now, because it is. They're without a doubt, the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd best team in the NBA RIGHT NOW, and many think they'll be getting better by the trade deadline with an addition at the PF position.

The Nets? Please. The Knicks are literally the only place he can go, but if pressed, I'd say he'd go there and the reason isn't talent or a championship because obviously he has a better chance to win in Cleveland, has an owner who will spend, and has fans who adore him. This isn't the MLB: There isn't a salary cap. It's not like choosing between the Indians and the Yankees.

HOWEVER, it is MSG, and it is being at the top of the NBA stratosphere. And if Lebron was 5 years old and envisioning himself as a Knick at MSG and watching Starks and Ewing and Johnson and Houston, et al. captivate crowds and this is his dream, then he might very well leave and I can't blame him. It's about chasing your dreams.

My prediction? The Cavs win the title and he goes to NY. I believe that's what Lebron wants. He's absolutely loyal enough to really want to reinvigorate the city and give them their title. But he also wants to go.

If the Cavs don't win the title this year, I really have no idea what he'll do. I don't know if he'll feel like he completed his job there and maybe will decide he doesn't want to regret forever not winning for his hometown.

Just my .02

Old 01-23-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Why would James want to sign up with that disaster of an organization? The Knicks have been one of the embarrassments of the league for quite sometime. And James presence on the team would make nearly no difference whatsoever. He would just be the one who gets all the media attention and the Knicks would still be crap.

The organization stinks from the top down. The powers that be in New York have no idea how to run and field even a consistently competitive team. Let alone a legit contender. No, I don't see James going to that black hole of basketball at all. He would end up playing out the duration of his career without even coming close to another trip to the Finals.
It starts from the top down.The Dolans are like the opposite of King Midas,everything they touch turns to crap.That being said,adding Lebron to the current roster would EASILY make them a playoff team.Would they beat the Celtics,Atlanta,or the Lakers? I would say no,but that's not what the issue is.I think he craves the media that only a place like NY has and would gladly play for a lesser team and just make demands for people to surround him.Currently their roster is okay with workhorses like David Lee,but I do see them going after a Bosh or Wade too which would really help the cause. The Nets must be kicking themselves now.If not for the legal problems with trying to move to Brooklyn,he might have been a Net; but the Nets wont be there for another 2 years so it wont happen.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:18 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,341,247 times
Lebron staying with the Cavs isn't like Kobe staying with the Lakers. Like Kevin Garnett, Lebron James will need to leave the Cavaliers in order to further his career in basketball. Whatever team he selects will be gold so long as the bench is deep! The Spurs would be a perfect fit for Lebron.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:51 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,467,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post

That.

Losing by 50 to Dallas at home should make this an easier decision.

MSG is so depressing a place to watch a game now. Don't get me wrong, I like the thought of the place, but this isn't 1999 anymore.

As for the global icon junk, we have the internet and satellite TV. If that can't get his face out all over the world, well, I don't know what to say to that.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
That.

Losing by 50 to Dallas at home should make this an easier decision.

MSG is so depressing a place to watch a game now. Don't get me wrong, I like the thought of the place, but this isn't 1999 anymore.

As for the global icon junk, we have the internet and satellite TV. If that can't get his face out all over the world, well, I don't know what to say to that.
How are the alternatives to the tonight show and late night with david letterman doing in Cleveland? Not too good I bet. See you in NY next year Lebron!

Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,969,931 times
I think Lebron should stay in Cleveland. I have a gut feeling if they win the NBA Finals this year. Lebron aint going nowhere!!

If they lose he is coming to the Sixers. Wishful Thinking..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball