U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 23 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,135,718 times

Advertisements

Anyone else wonder why there are so few NBA games shown on ABC, ESPN, and TNT while college basketball is on 4 hours everyday nationally? I know there are 120 D1 college teams compared to 30 NBA teams, but given that some NBA team is playing everyday I don't understand why so few of the games are available on those channels. Does the NBA prefer a high revenue contract that shows fewer games?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,235,465 times
ABC provides Sunday coverage but if a team sells out all their games local tv televises the game.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:10 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Anyone else wonder why there are so few NBA games shown on ABC, ESPN, and TNT while college basketball is on 4 hours everyday nationally? I know there are 120 D1 college teams compared to 30 NBA teams, but given that some NBA team is playing everyday I don't understand why so few of the games are available on those channels. Does the NBA prefer a high revenue contract that shows fewer games?

ESPN and TNT both show a lot of NBA games. If you can not find a game, you're not looking. Judging by past conversations with you, I am guess you are not looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
if a team sells out all their games local tv televises the game.
Wrong.

Most teams have a contract to show at least 70 games on a local cable station. The number of butts in the seats at the arena has NOTHING to do with that.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:39 PM

3,431 posts, read 5,777,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

You're about 227 off there.

It matters, because Niagara @ Canisius was the featured game yesterday one ESPN Nueve or something like that before I hit up the NHL Network.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:58 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,879,106 times
Back in the day, they would show NBA games on CBS(during the 80s) and NBC(during early 90s) every Sunday afternoon. Nowdays, you only see it so often on ABC during Sunday.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:32 AM

7,412 posts, read 8,235,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
ESPN and TNT both show a lot of NBA games. If you can not find a game, you're not looking. Judging by past conversations with you, I am guess you are not looking.

Wrong.

Most teams have a contract to show at least 70 games on a local cable station. The number of butts in the seats at the arena has NOTHING to do with that.
I think you are right but Channel 9 KCAL seems to televise every away game & home games occasionally. Otherwise FOX Sports\ NBA-TV or TNT & ESPN show the games on cable tv.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:26 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I think you are right but Channel 9 KCAL seems to televise every away game & home games occasionally. Otherwise FOX Sports\ NBA-TV or TNT & ESPN show the games on cable tv.
Like I said, most teams, MOST, have a contract to show most of their games on a local cable station. It just so happens that the Lakers local deal is with KCAL. Please understand that Laker games don't just randomly show up on KCAL. EVERY TEAM in the NBA has the same deal of some sort locally.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,285,298 times
Unless I need eye surgery, there is

a NBA game on TNT every Thursday
a NBA game on ESPN every Wednesday and Friday
a NBA game on ABC every Sunday from Jan to June

Old 02-01-2010, 07:08 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,440,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Unless I need eye surgery, there is

a NBA game on TNT every Thursday
a NBA game on ESPN every Wednesday and Friday
a NBA game on ABC every Sunday from Jan to June
And all of those are typically double-headers except the Wednesday game on ESPN. ESPN will even occasionally put a game on Sunday nights once the NFL season is over - I know they showed Cleveland-Portland a couple weeks back.

Plus there is NBATV which I think shows like 75 games throughout the season; and as others have mentioned, every team has a contract w/their local affiliates and if you are that obsessed w/watching games, you can subscribe to NBA league pass for like $170/season and see every single game of your favorite team regardless of where you live.

Keep in mind that NCAA games are on so much b/c there are A) more of them (340+ Division 1 teams compared to 30 NBA teams), B)they are cheaper to broadcast for the networks & C) Typically, college bball regular season is more intense/meaningful than the NBA regular season; when you only have 30 games - especially for those in the mid-major level, every game is of vital importance. In the NBA, you can go on a 4 or 5-game losing streak and still make the playoffs. The season would probably be fine being about 60-70 games, yet they'll never change from the 82-game schedule as that would mean far less revenue and plus at this point, historical stats wouldn't be as comparable (think baseball switching from 154 to now 162 game-seasons).

For ESPN especially, I think they televise a lot of the mid to low-major games (mostly on ESPNU) to just kind of get the students to have positive emotions about ESPN, like, "hey, they even came and televised our little school, how cool is that!?" It's a big deal when your a MAC or Southern conference school and you get a game on ESPNU or ESPN2. Plus they are extremely cheap as those conferences are just thrilled to get any exposure (see the 24-hour marathon of college hoops back in November - what teams were playing at 2 AM, 4 AM & 6 AM?? Not UNC, Kentucky or Duke! That's for sure!)

Also, once the NBA playoffs start, the NBA is on TV non-stop for about 2 months as part of the reason that they drag on so long is to allow every game to be televised.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:07 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,285,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
And all of those are typically double-headers except the Wednesday game on ESPN. ESPN will even occasionally put a game on Sunday nights once the NFL season is over - I know they showed Cleveland-Portland a couple weeks back.

Plus there is NBATV which I think shows like 75 games throughout the season; and as others have mentioned, every team has a contract w/their local affiliates and if you are that obsessed w/watching games, you can subscribe to NBA league pass for like $170/season and see every single game of your favorite team regardless of where you live.

Keep in mind that NCAA games are on so much b/c there are A) more of them (340+ Division 1 teams compared to 30 NBA teams), B)they are cheaper to broadcast for the networks & C) Typically, college bball regular season is more intense/meaningful than the NBA regular season; when you only have 30 games - especially for those in the mid-major level, every game is of vital importance. In the NBA, you can go on a 4 or 5-game losing streak and still make the playoffs. The season would probably be fine being about 60-70 games, yet they'll never change from the 82-game schedule as that would mean far less revenue and plus at this point, historical stats wouldn't be as comparable (think baseball switching from 154 to now 162 game-seasons).

For ESPN especially, I think they televise a lot of the mid to low-major games (mostly on ESPNU) to just kind of get the students to have positive emotions about ESPN, like, "hey, they even came and televised our little school, how cool is that!?" It's a big deal when your a MAC or Southern conference school and you get a game on ESPNU or ESPN2. Plus they are extremely cheap as those conferences are just thrilled to get any exposure (see the 24-hour marathon of college hoops back in November - what teams were playing at 2 AM, 4 AM & 6 AM?? Not UNC, Kentucky or Duke! That's for sure!)

Also, once the NBA playoffs start, the NBA is on TV non-stop for about 2 months as part of the reason that they drag on so long is to allow every game to be televised.

NBA league Pass is no longer appealing because of the amount of national games during the week on NBATV, TNT, ESPN, and ABC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball