Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:37 AM

53 posts, read 42,910 times

Advertisements

From reading a thread where people calling the players bunch of thugs it looks like it. Small market teams are also having trouble right now selling tickets.

So is the NBA popular where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:59 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datha16 View Post
From reading a thread where people calling the players bunch of thugs it looks like it. Small market teams are also having trouble right now selling tickets.

The NBA is less thuggish and generally more popular than it was not so long ago. Stern REALLY cracked down which is why some players just disappeared from the league and others have gotten the message.

The economy in general has hurt ticket sales for many sports\entertainment events. NASCAR for example has taken a beating.

In general, especially since it's gone international I think the NBA is in pretty good shape.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:08 AM

207 posts, read 353,638 times
The NBA couldnt have asked for a better finals than Los Angeles and Boston. I bet TV ratings will be above average-excellent. After this series we will know exactly how popular the NBA is currently.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:33 PM

79 posts, read 238,190 times
Right now is not a good gauge of nba popularity in regards to ticket sales or even television ratings being the economy has hurt the overall success of majority if not all business ventures. I agree with the above comment in that the L.A vs Boston series will have a big draw due to bridging the generation gap between both current younger fans any old school fans who followed the magic vs. bird era.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:42 PM

I think the ratings will be very good. This or Cavs-Lakers would have been the best ratings for them. I however still hear people calling the NBA a bunch of thugs.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:46 PM

497 posts, read 507,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datha16 View Post

The NBA is so popular throughout the country that Lebron James free agency is #2 topic in this country right now other than oil spill!!! What we have is a country that like any other country has racism problems and knowing that the NBA is prodominately black is a easy target, that's why you get the thug thing because to a racist any black male is a thug, now if you ask what thug like activity has any NBA player committed your get a strange look. No steroid doping (ala thug baseball players) in NBA!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
The NBA is so popular throughout the country that Lebron James free agency is #2 topic in this country right now other than oil spill!!! What we have is a country that like any other country has racism problems and knowing that the NBA is prodominately black is a easy target, that's why you get the thug thing because to a racist any black male is a thug, now if you ask what thug like activity has any NBA player committed your get a strange look. No steroid doping (ala thug baseball players) in NBA!
Well the MLB players are more juiced guys than thugs. I do agree that lot of white people should stop saying all of the players are thugs.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:46 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,499 times
I don't think the NBA is loosing popularity but I don't see it gaining at the pace it did in the 90's with Jordan. The game may be gaining globally at a rapid pace b/c of international stars i.e. Dirk, Yao, Tony Parker etc. In America Football is King. During the 70's 80's baseball was it, late 80's and 90's it was basketball, now football has taken over and I see no sign of its decline. Football's popularity in IMO stems from college football(the greatest thing in the world mind you ) so naturally that would carry over to the pro game. Football gives us an entire week(b/c of the physical toll on the body prevents more than one game a week) to talk and listen to the talking heads about every little thing going on, in basketball there's a game every other day, no time for us fans to really discuss and get into the game. The games, b/c football plays so few allows us to get into the sport more IMO than basketball.

Two interesting links first is an article written in 2006 examining how race may play a role in the popularity gap of the two sports (post jordan era). The second is the Wikipedia link on basketball ratings on the major networks throughout the years.

SLAM ONLINE | » The NFL > The NBA?

National Basketball Association Nielsen ratings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-01-2010, 02:12 PM

The NFL has been the number one sport in America popularity for a long time now, so that wouldn't be a surpise. Wow at the ratings in the 80's and 90's NBA games.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:03 PM

That Slam article was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball