Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 07:59 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times

Advertisements

Lebron will make his decision Thursday 9PM EST.

ESPNEWS (ESPNEWS) on Twitter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 06:52 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
NYC ranks #1 in sports media marketing, means most people will tune in to watch MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, when a New York team is playing, which is equivalent to more sponsors/endorsements/advertisers = $$$$$.

Small markets cannot compete, it is simple economics.
We are talking NBA here so let's not get other sports involved since some of them don't have a real salary cap.

Your last sentence is interesting given that well....the Knicks suck. The NBA in fact has has a number of small market teams like Detroit, San Antonio, Houston do quite well. The only way Lebron gets any bigger is to win a championship.

As for media attention, the Knicks haven't had a player VOTED to the all-star game in a decade.

So, with a salary cap the only thing impacting Lebrons income is ENDORSEMENTS and the NBA is a global game anymore. Winning matters wayyyyy more than where you are playing and on what team.

But hey, let's not let opinions get in the way. Look at this article. Note the endorsement component. How are small market guys like Manning, Lebron, Durant, Howard so high in endorsement income? Heck, go down to the bottom #50 and read the comment about Eli Mannings endorsements.

SI.com - The Fortunate 50

This isn't MLB or the NFL and we are talking about the players not the teams.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
chaotix is correct, NY, LA and Chicago, in that order, are the major market cities for sports.

Forbes estimates Lebrons earnings will rise to 1 billion if he jumps to New York.
Source? I'd be interested in reading any such article.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 AM

897 posts, read 1,688,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Tomorrow, July 1st is the big day for LeBron. He is supposed to meet with the Knicks first, with the Russian owner flying from Russia to meet LeBron in Akron.

My gut tells me when the dust settles he will stay in Cleveland. Since the Cav's can pay him $30M more for a 6 yr contract, his home is in Akron and with Cleveland hiring either Brian Shaw or Byron Scott as the manager, there is no reason to go elsewhere. He will get his ring(s) in Cleveland with the right moves.

The only other team that would have a chance is Chicago due to them being an instant contender with LeBron there.

Cleveland will continue to choke come playoff time! Kobe Bryant is still a better clutch and all around player than Lebron.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I am not so sure about the idea of LeBron becoming even bigger in New York. I do know one thing. All this mega star, billionaire stuff may be a long shot if he doesn't start winning some titles pretty soon. You can't call yourself "king" if you can't win multiple titles. You can't be a one man phenomenon if your team has no banners on your watch. The foundation of Micheal Jordan's iconic status is his utter dominance of his sport for nearly a decade. Jordan's role as corporate pitchman and comerical icon would have never been possible without his championship dominance on the hardwood.

LeBron's priority should be going where he can win multiple championships. He can be a superstar in any city he plays in. He doesn't need New York City. But he does need titles. At some point all the hype without championships will begin a serious backlash against James.
Yes. But let's not forget that the endorsement money really keys on likeability too. Kobe took an endorsement beating for his Colorado situation and is NOWHERE as charismatic as MJ was. Heck Barkley is still a major endorser and he never won a championship....but people like him.

A lot of people out there are not fans of the NY sports attitude. That Lebron plays in Cleveland is even endearing. (See Favre in Green Bay, Manning in Indy...sure didn't hurt them) I can imagine a number of people being turned off by lebron jumping ship to anywhere and possibly more if it were NY.

Basically, looking at the endorsement figures out there I just don't see many people from LA or NY other than Kobe and if you look where he was 4 years ago you can tell it's from his MVP's and championships since he's still in the same place.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:05 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
Well the suspense will be over in 12 hours.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
It would be funny in Lebron decided to go to Chicago,Cleveland would be in full meltdown mode. I think If Lebron stays in Cleveland,Chicago gets Chris Bosh.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Getting a little ahead of myself, since today is only Wednesday.

The announcement is Thursday...D'oh.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
It would be funny in Lebron decided to go to Chicago,Cleveland would be in full meltdown mode. I think If Lebron stays in Cleveland,Chicago gets Chris Bosh.
I'm not sure how funny it would be if LeBron goes to Chicago, but if he doesn't stay in Cleveland, then Chicago, I think would be his best bet.

Cleveland will be down for a few days if LeBron leaves, but Cleveland has been through this kind of stuff many many times...the city will move on. I still think he stays.

Bosh is going to Miami, ESPN just announced.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure how funny it would be if LeBron goes to Chicago, but if he doesn't stay in Cleveland, then Chicago, I think would be his best bet.

Bosh is going to Miami, ESPN just announced.

Wow,the Heat are going to be strong! My Hawks need to sign Shaq(rumors say Hawks ownership is interested in Him)just to keep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball