U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 04:02 PM

828 posts, read 1,207,917 times

Advertisements

1) Too much emphasis on slam dunks, which leads to height discrimination
2) Lack of emphasis on defense
3) Too much ambiguity on the rules (traveling especially)
4) The NBA lack of competitive edge. Only 8 teams have won the finals in 20 years

In my opinion basketball has the most appeal of all US sports, and is the most marketable internationally....but it is stuck in Show Biz!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:29 PM

6,183 posts, read 4,990,474 times
That and people seem to care about more about individual players moreso than cities and franchises.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:00 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,654,912 times
I grew up a baseball fan like everyone else. Hey...it was America's national pastime. But then football took over as America's national sport. When I was in high school I was great baseball player and lesser so a football player. But I was never able to play basketball. I sucked at it.

Now that I am older, basketball is all I watch. It's just more exciting then football or baseball hands down.

Most people can only watch a game of any sport if it is their team playing. I can watch any basketball game.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:56 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,029,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I grew up a baseball fan like everyone else. Hey...it was America's national pastime. But then football took over as America's national sport. When I was in high school I was great baseball player and lesser so a football player. But I was never able to play basketball. I sucked at it.

Now that I am older, basketball is all I watch. It's just more exciting then football or baseball hands down.

Most people can only watch a game of any sport if it is their team playing. I can watch any basketball game.

You're right, It's just fast paced which is the way society is. I never could pinpoint what you said because I beleive the same way about basketball, but I'm thinking what I just wrote about society might be what it is (the reason people can watch basketball so easily)

Old 06-08-2010, 06:41 AM

7,559 posts, read 11,897,284 times
A lot of people agree that the game has transitioned from the fundamentals of the 50s and 60s, into the highlight reel we have today. Somewhere in between, you had the combination of the two elements: the 80s and 90s.

That was the best the game had - Magic, Bird, Jordan, etc., who knew how to play the game without boring us to tears, and giving us (imo) the greatest show on earth.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 AM

473 posts, read 628,729 times
imo- i agree the 80's were the golden years for the nba. we had superstars that were part of a team. the 6th man made a difference and was just as important to the team as the 5 starters. ever since mj the nba has become all about the next mj. who can be the superstar to change the game like he did. problem is, mj did change the game- while he was in the game- but the game changed back after he was gone even though the way the game was trying to be played didnt

baseball is all about individual achievement, football is too, but basketball was always a team sport. when you think larry bird, you also remember the names of the guys that were around him, same with magic- even mj. but nowadays, guys on the court want it to be all about them- kobe and lebron are prime examples. fortunately there are some signs that the team concept is coming back. for the sake of the game- i hope so.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:04 PM

I would disagree about the NBA being a league trying to live up to the Jordan era. It's just a different era now with lots of new talent. The 2003 NBA draft was the year when it turned from 'looking for the next Jordan' into 'now we have some exciting players to watch again'. When Jordan retired all we really had was Kobe as the main superstar. Now we have Kobe, Lebron, Wade and lots of new talent coming in like Kevin Durant and Chris Paul along with established players like Nash, Kidd, and Ray Allen

Old 06-08-2010, 09:59 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,522,620 times
Until the NBA does something about it's officiating it will never surpass football. Their inconsistency is disgusting.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:10 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
A lot of people agree that the game has transitioned from the fundamentals of the 50s and 60s, into the highlight reel we have today. Somewhere in between, you had the combination of the two elements: the 80s and 90s.

That was the best the game had - Magic, Bird, Jordan, etc., who knew how to play the game without boring us to tears, and giving us (imo) the greatest show on earth.
Well guess what?? Magic and Bird wasn't going to play forever so you need to get over it. You have to know that there always will be up and coming talent and everyone gets older. So stop with the Magic and Bird crap

Old 06-09-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well guess what?? Magic and Bird wasn't going to play forever so you need to get over it. You have to know that there always will be up and coming talent and everyone gets older. So stop with the Magic and Bird crap

It's kind of like wishing Hulk Hogan would have remained in WWE and stopped The Rock and Stone Cold from having their time to rule in wrestling. Until we can realize the past is past and those days were good but won't come back, then we can't move on to the next big thing in life or sports

Last edited by RazorRob305; 06-10-2010 at 12:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or