Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:00 PM

100 posts, read 392,180 times

Advertisements

I recommend Shenandoah area. The neighborhood is quiet, friendly, and very orderly....and if you fit that description, you'll fit in very well.

The prices are steep for some of the homes, but they have benefits: good construction, larger lots, and mature trees.

Public schools in that area are okay (best non-magnet schools in the EBR system, but it's far from "excellent") and there are several good private school alternatives as well.

I really don't think you'd get "major threats" in either area, but my black friends do complain frequently about some of the older residents of Denham Springs (keep in mind that thousands of younger, more educated people move to that area every year because of the public schools), but none have had any problems personally that I know of.

Welcome to Baton Rouge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 06:10 AM

4 posts, read 4,908 times
Me and my family just moved to Denham Springs from Tangipahoa parish, and I find the mood between blacks and whites to be somewhat different here. We have not lived in this parish very long and yet there's already been an incident involving a former member of the Klan and an black male. Where I'm from you may get a dirty look once in your lifetime because you're black, but no one would make racial remarks or verbally threaten you. I must say that I get the feeling that I'm hated most of the time just because I'm black when I am out and about. I try to stay inside as much as possible, and I don't shop in Livingston parish. I have decided not to let my kids attend school in this parish. I do not want my kids to experience in unwarranted hate, as I have , during my brief time in the parish of Livingston.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:02 PM

50 posts, read 201,937 times
PeaceSeeker, Wow! I am so sorry to hear this. I live up north and inter-racial couples are such a non issue. And I don't mean that there aren't any, there are many! No one even blinks when they see couples of different races together, friends of different races together etc., kids of different races playing together etc. I might be moving down there and this worries me a bit.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,652 times
Shenandoah!

Old 12-26-2011, 03:08 AM

6 posts, read 10,132 times
I am surprised at some of the comments about Denham Springs and Livingston Parish. I have lived in Livingston Parish for over 12 years. I moved here from Baton Rouge. I have never seen any "Klan" activity or heard of anything aimed at a particular race. It is a very friendly place. My sister is an inter-racial couple and they go all over Livingston Parish and have never had any negative comments or attitudes. I heard things used to be that way, but that was decades ago and ancient history. I will say that the only contact I have ever had with the KKK was when I lived in Buffwood Subdivision, in Baker. The man I babysat for was a 'grand dragon' or something. That is in East Baton Rouge Parish, NOT Livingston....just saying.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:14 AM

6 posts, read 10,132 times
...about Shenandoah...They have higher crime rates than Livingston Parish. To my knowledge we have never had a serial rapist, Shenandoah has. I have lived in Shenandoah and we ALWAYS locked our doors and armed the security alarm. Walker/Watson/Denham Springs....not so much.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:48 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajungenes View Post
...about Shenandoah...They have higher crime rates than Livingston Parish. To my knowledge we have never had a serial rapist, Shenandoah has. I have lived in Shenandoah and we ALWAYS locked our doors and armed the security alarm. Walker/Watson/Denham Springs....not so much.
Shenadoah is around a higher population, we lock our doors in Prairieville, doens't mean crime is high.

Livingston Parish is 97% white last time I checked, not to spark any racists comments but would you feel comfortable in a 97% black or Hispanic parish?

Old 12-26-2011, 08:56 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajungenes View Post
It's pretty irresponsible/dumb to not lock your doors these days, no matter where you live. Just being honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge