Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 8,257 times

Advertisements

I have posted this before but I decided to do my own thread with it now. I may be moving to Denham Springs but it's not really certain since my fiance may take a managment position up there. However, we're an interracial couple, and though where we currently are no one really pay us any mind, we've never really left the area so I'm not sure about being in a new location. I would like him to accept the position because he worked hard to get there, so a guess some kind of assurance would ease my mind. I know racial tension and what not is everywhere and I can handle a few dirty looks and what not. What I'm worried about is any major threaths, like the ones that would have me up all night worrying.
So, if anyone can give me any info on both DS and Shenandoah it will be appreciated. I don't think Shenandoah is that far from Denham to commute if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 09:20 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,353,797 times
I don't think you are going to get any " major threats " in either location .

Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 AM

392 posts, read 749,263 times
Denham Springs is in Livingston Parish, which has a documented history of racism. (The Klan is still active in the town of Holden.) My black friends don't like it out there, and when my ex and I (who was black and I'm white) dated, we avoided it. I personally wouldn't hang out in Livingston Parish in your situation, although Denham Springs itself has become more and more suburban, or an extension of Baton Rouge, SO people are becoming a lot less racist. Now... I LIVE in Shenandoah, and not only did no one ever bat an eye at me and my ex girlfriend, we certainly aren't the only ones. I very often see interracial couples around here, and my community is probably about half black and half white, and everyone gets along quite well.

In summary, Shenandoah is fantastic, and Denham Springs inside the city limits is "mostly" okay, while anything far outside of it, especially to the east until you get to Hammond, is NOT a good idea. Baton Rouge in general though doesn't even notice interracial folks from my experience, probably because we're all over the place here.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:49 PM

When was the last documented case of Clan activity in Denham Springs , or Holden ? I'm not talking about " he said , she said ... "

Old 06-26-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
When was the last documented case of Clan activity in Denham Springs , or Holden ? I'm not talking about " he said , she said ... "
Well I don't have a newspaper right here, but there have been articles in the past couple years mentioning the Klan campground in Holden. Granted, it's mainly a little group of really old guys that just can't let it go, BUT it does exist. Livingston Parish doesn't have the greatest reputation for racial harmony, and I wouldn't want to mislead someone into a rough situation. The rest of metro Baton Rouge is totally fine though.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:09 PM

A bunch of old guys at a campground in the woods is hardly much of a threat to the whole Parish , but whatever ...

Old 06-27-2010, 01:56 AM

17 posts, read 37,592 times
I think that is just a myth. Yes, there were very high racial tensions when we first moved here in the late 1960's and I vaguely remember cross burnings and Klan literature in our yard. (BTW, the Klan isn't just "anti-black" - they want Protestant and white. They're not to hip on Catholics, Jews, or Muslims either. We were Catholic and lived next door to someone high up in the Klan for years. My mom was scared, but nothing ever happened.)

There was another time of high racial tension in the early 1980s with fights and a shooting (a white boy shot a black man - and a whole bunch of white boys went to jail for a long, long time). Actually, things calmed down after that and things have been pretty quiet. I know my husband's black coworkers who live in West Baton Rouge don't want to go to Livingston Parish, but OTOH I know interracial couples who live in Denham and Walker.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:28 AM

17 posts, read 69,111 times
LALafgirl,

I moved out this way after Katrina and have found that interracial couples are very accepted. Shenandoah is a great area with everything close by. I don't think you would have any regrets about moving there. Let me know if I can be of further service.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunStamper View Post
I think that is just a myth. Yes, there were very high racial tensions when we first moved here in the late 1960's and I vaguely remember cross burnings and Klan literature in our yard. (BTW, the Klan isn't just "anti-black" - they want Protestant and white. They're not to hip on Catholics, Jews, or Muslims either. We were Catholic and lived next door to someone high up in the Klan for years. My mom was scared, but nothing ever happened.)

There was another time of high racial tension in the early 1980s with fights and a shooting (a white boy shot a black man - and a whole bunch of white boys went to jail for a long, long time). Actually, things calmed down after that and things have been pretty quiet. I know my husband's black coworkers who live in West Baton Rouge don't want to go to Livingston Parish, but OTOH I know interracial couples who live in Denham and Walker.
Well if that's the case, then that's good. Even though I don't "know" that there's absolutely a problem in Livingston, just to be on the safe side, I didn't want to just be like, "oh yeah, everything's wonderful there," and have someone move in and have trouble. I do know the rest of the Baton Rouge area couldn't care less about race. If Livingston is fine now, then by all means, hit it up too, because the property will be cheaper and the schools are pretty good. The commute is a good bit longer, of course!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:15 AM

41 posts, read 153,015 times
We are also an interracial couple and we've lived in Shenandoah for 15 years. We love it. Shenandoah is close to I-12 and you are just one exit from Denham Springs. The traffic heading that way in the afternoon is horrible, but you or your fiance' will be coming in the opposite direction. Denham Springs is nice too and over the years, when we've visited there, we felt "stared at" but there are people like that everywhere. Most people go out of their way to be nice to us. If you and your future spouse carry yourselves in a manner of the respect you want, you'll look for that kind of response from others and that's what you'll get in most cases. As far as threats, I don't see that happening in either place. Wish you all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge