Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,197 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm considering moving to BR for a job and would be relocating from a large city. I'm a single 30-something female and was wondering how those who may have relocated to the area of a similar demographic found BR. E.g. is it easy to meet other 30 somethings or do you find that everyone in this age group is married with kids in this area? What is the dating scene like? Just looking for some realistic opinions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 02:15 PM

7 posts, read 15,202 times
Save your money and sanity. I relocated 2 years ago from FL for a better paying job. Big mistake. Im also in my 30's and love big cities. If you like college football or the college scene then this is the place. If you like ghetto fabuluous towns with robberies and murders everyday... (visit Baton Rouge news, sports and entertainment on 2theadvocate.com for proof)Then this is the town. If you like racism...then come on down. AIDS? Ignorant people? Poorest state for education? Yes this is the place. Now I dont think you do... Do yourself a favor and not move here. Do me a favor and and save me too Honestly, N.O. is only an hour away so that might bring some brightness to your move.) Consider this, since there is nothing to do here, all the youngsters break the law, do drugs, and sleep with eachothers friends. By the time they hit our age, they've had 4 kids with 7 different mothers or fathers. (I say this cause most of the time the real parents are the one they've messed around with) and want to party because they lost that "party time" raising their kids. Most of the locals have never left the state so thats all they know. Flame all you want locals.... You know this to be true....Or google BR and it will tell you more.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 PM

101 posts, read 261,356 times
I would not recommend BTR for a 30-something that is looking to date. Had a similar discussion with my friends this weekend and we all miss the greater opportunities of larger cities. My friends? 30-40-somethings, men and women, all races, all college educated, all employed, all a lot of fun. The pool here is just too small.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:36 AM

48 posts, read 108,452 times
I am also early thirties and single. I relocated for a job and now I understand why the pay for the job was much more than other places for the same job. It is a hard place to meet people that are single and childless in that age group. Unless you are into college football for the social scene it isn't that large. You can go to New Orleans which is nice.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:08 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,413 times
What a bunch of crybabies . Growing up is a ***** . eh ?

Old 09-16-2010, 06:46 AM

7 posts, read 15,202 times
mhounit must be a local. So you see how it is here. Instead of trying to convince you that there homeland is a great place. He shows the true colors of being a local.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:25 AM

Yeah there is a couple on here that deny there is a problem even though it is brought up fairly consistently. I figure they are probably married, older, and beside military service haven't experience many other areas. I have accepted BR for what it is. The resistance to change and growth is astounding.
A lot of the divisions of our company have been slowly migrating to Raleigh, NC and Chicago, IL. I keep hinting that Raleigh has an excellent infrastructure for what I do. As the owner of the company, who is a native Baton Rouge guy, turns over more and more of the operations to his children they have moved areas of operation to places that make more geographical and financial sense. They also have a hard time recruiting people to fill key positions into this area and when they do get someone they don't tend to stay very long.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:05 PM

101 posts, read 261,356 times
We have a very hard time hiring local, qualified, motivated professionals here and in Mississippi. And getting people to move here -- impossible unless you pay their housing and transportation costs for a year on top of an elevated salary.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:04 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island671 View Post
mhounit must be a local. So you see how it is here. Instead of trying to convince you that there homeland is a great place. He shows the true colors of being a local.
You're right , I am a local . I have lived here for 52 years and somehow managed to raise two sons and do pretty well . In all of that time I never felt a need to whine and cry about how bad things are , how there is " nothing to do here " or any of other complaints I see daily on this board .
Maybe it's a generational thing . We didn't depend on other people to solve our problems or amuse us when we got bored . There was no internet , facebook , or twitter to use as a substitute for social skills . You got off of your dead ass and made life happen for you . I have zero sympathy for the " poor me " masses I see complaining here , and the name calling that results when you call them out for it . Grow up , or leave . Whatever fits your situation . But the problem is not Baton Rouge . It's that face you see in the mirror . Have a great day !

Old 09-20-2010, 06:54 AM

You "call out" people who are not from Baton Rouge for asking an honest question about what is available to here and then think is funny when they get confused and upset when the old grumpy dude telling them they are the one with the problem. It does sound like the problem is "the face you see in the mirror".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge