Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:54 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,099,703 times

Advertisements

It seems like the point to this discussion is there is nothing to do in BR and I/we are bored. My point is this. If you are bored in BR, and you are absolutely sure there is nothing you can do to entertain yourself there are still plenty of things to do and see in and around BR. Explore BR Parish. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 11:50 AM

640 posts, read 1,219,156 times
It seems, linicx, that you don't understand what we are saying. Also, have you every lived in BR? That might help you understand the discussion. It is not that we are bored and every day we just sit around and do nothing because there's nothing to do here. This is just a typically boring city because the activities and entertainment is not really all that fun. I've said it MANY times that the bars are absolutely horrible. You can hardly find any live music that isn't a cover band except for one place, the Varsity. The best restaurant is places like the Chimes and other sports bars or national chains that can be found everywhere else in America. There are never any new restaurants on the cutting edge scene with new ideas, it's usually all the same concepts. There are no neighborhoods that serve as destinations where one can drive to and spend the whole day. There is a possibility of downtown being a place like this but it's really only a couple blocks and that's it. There is no "entertainment district" which young people usually flock to as one can get dinner, go see a movie, go out to a bar, go to a live comedy show all in one area.

Again, this does NOT NOT NOT mean that I cannot entertain myself and I am so bored and lonely sitting in my room all day. I have a fun life I just seek more than doing the same old thing every day.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,478,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bntbr12 View Post
I don't know if "magical" is the right word for New Orleans. But there are a lot more entertainment options. Baton Rouge is anywhere, USA. I do agree that most of Baton Rouge feels the same. No matter where I go, I always see the same type of people. If I go to Perkins Rowe, or along the Perkins Road area, or to any nightlife area, it is always frat guys, graduated frat guys, and their wives.

There is a variety of food, but I find a lot of it bland.

A lot of people in BR to dislike New Orleans as much as Nola people despise BR.
I am a transplant from here, my hubby was not a frat guy nor do I see what you are talking about. perkins Rowe, to me, is full of families and people of many races and social status-one of my favorite places to walk around and get a nice dinner from CPK.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,466 times
"No places to walk around ? LSU lakes . State Capitol grounds . Various parks , downtown , the levee walking trail , etc. How do people walk their dogs ?"

the lakes, downtown, and the levee trail are about the only 3 places in the entire city where one is really able to walk any measurable distance with remotely nice surroundings. BR is extremely pedestrian unfriendly. I live less than 1 mile away from my workplace, and yet am forced to drive (and even sit in traffic!) to get there, because the 1 mile separating my home from my job is a very narrow highway with absolutely no shoulder.

Yeah there are things to do in BR, but they are very, very subpar compared with what you could find in a large, young city.

The lack of places to walk is a huge factor in my upcoming move from BR (my lifelong home) to Boston.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Caa

One thing that is missed here, is the fact that poor Baton Rouge was just a smaller type city with enough to do for my family and I. Then katrina hit and BR istrying hard to keep up with the population which includes traffic issues and places opening up like bars-restaurants and the like, that will appeal to those that may be looking for a better city with more to do. I love it here and I can say that with honesty! I have a child that goes to elem school(private of course). We are so busy on weekends with her sports and/or all the fun activities there are to do here. There are at least 3 magazines, to those that said things are hard to find, that list many BR activities. One is 225, the other if you ahve kids, is Baton Rouge parents Magazine. Fun section in Fridays paper is always full of ideas. I have no idea about the bar scene, but love LSU sports and walking the LSU trails and the levee. I love my town!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:42 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,434,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
Then katrina hit and BR istrying hard to keep up with the population which includes traffic issues and places opening up like bars-restaurants and the like, that will appeal to those that may be looking for a better city with more to do.
You lost me here. Are you referring to right after the storm or now?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:09 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,297,575 times
Cityy planners should really check this video out regarding how to develop a sense of "placE". As much as I hate the attitudes prevalent in it, River Ranch in Lafayette has an excellent sense of place for its residents and it is based upon the ideals of new urbanism as described in this video and the other 8 parts that accompany it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwd4Lq0Xvgc

Old 11-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Caa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
You lost me here. Are you referring to right after the storm or now?
WEll, kind of both. There have been many new places opening up the past 3 years or so that may not have opened up so "quickly" if the population boom did not happen. The plans for traffic relief were alsoo in the works, but they had to speed things up due to the population boom both 5 years ago and still today. These people who complain about Baton Rouge, please stop comparing us to other cities all the time-we are what we are!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:38 AM

97 posts, read 1,227,026 times
The original list contained lots of outdoor activities that I would love to get involved in if the weather here wasn't so miserable. It would be great to be outside more often, but I just can't handle the humidity. I was born and raised here, so you'd think I would be used to it, but it affects me twice as much as it seems to affect most people. I just wish I could enjoy all of the activities listed without having a heatstroke, being eaten by mosquitoes, or drowning in my own sweat.

Also,
Quote:
Did you know you can find some breath taking Italian sculptures and Russian art in a little church built before the Civil War? It is one of Louisiana's best kept secrets.
Where is this? I'd like to check that out sometime.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:17 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,661,958 times
Anybody else go to Shop Hop at the Overpass tonight? Was good turnout and I think everyone had fun. Wish it had been a warmer night, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge