Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 09:09 AM

16 posts, read 28,432 times

Advertisements

A couple of quick thoughts about this. Money doesn't exist for massive expansion of interstate system currently and will not likely anytime soon. Does it make sense to continue to expand freeways in the age of evermore expensive oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
This is a car city. Until a miracle happens and we have good PT, it will remain a car city.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:36 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdavid36 View Post
A couple of quick thoughts about this. Money doesn't exist for massive expansion of interstate system currently and will not likely anytime soon. Does it make sense to continue to expand freeways in the age of evermore expensive oil?
The final runout is decades away, traffic is bad now. Even if we all drove cars that get 100 mpg or even electric cars, they will still take up space on the highway.

It's this or nothing in a city like Baton Rouge.

Last edited by MetroBTR; 03-17-2011 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 09:49 AM

16 posts, read 28,432 times
Willing to raise fuel taxes? or pass a bond issue? or pay tolls to finance major interstate upgrades? Most people balk at this when it's suggested.
I agree that BR is car city as is 99% of US.....it's not going to be pretty in the next decade or two

Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 AM

18 posts, read 26,803 times
I moved here 4 months ago from Phoenix. Never thought I would miss Phoenix traffic. I had no idea traffic would be this bad in BR. Seems like any time of day it sucks. And I hate the green medians that you have to make a left turn in between. I can only imagine how many accidents those cause. Oh and I was in my first accident in 15 years yesterday. Someone just turned right into me :/

Old 03-24-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightbird View Post
I moved here 4 months ago from Phoenix. Never thought I would miss Phoenix traffic. I had no idea traffic would be this bad in BR. Seems like any time of day it sucks. And I hate the green medians that you have to make a left turn in between. I can only imagine how many accidents those cause. Oh and I was in my first accident in 15 years yesterday. Someone just turned right into me :/
What's wrong with medians? They have those everywhere, not just in BR.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:53 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
What's wrong with medians? They have those everywhere, not just in BR.
It seems to me that they would make left turns safer . But what do I know ?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
It seems to me that they would make left turns safer . But what do I know ?
We could just do like New Orleans and refuse to put turn lanes at all.

Oh, but then people would complain about having to make the right turn and then a u-turn.

Frankly I think the quality of left turn lanes in this city is one of the last things people need to be worried about. When every road is smooth and every crime is solved and every student graduates high school and everyone has the tools to earn a living wage...then I'll worry about turn lanes. It's my experience that most accidents that occur with left turns are entirely preventable by the drivers involved. Usually somebody either failed to yield or overestimated the speed of oncoming traffic.

But what do I know?

Old 03-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightbird View Post
It is not bad"any time of the day" to me, only rush hour is bad and most of those people are here in BR for work from outside areas like Denham and Gonzales!!! They don't even live in the city and they are the ones making the traffic, if only BR people traveled in BR life would be great!...today I saw 6 cars on perkins road between siegen and bluebonnet, so no, it is not bad any time of the day!!! Sorry about your accident though...

Old 03-27-2011, 02:05 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
It is not bad"any time of the day" to me, only rush hour is bad and most of those people are here in BR for work from outside areas like Denham and Gonzales!!! They don't even live in the city and they are the ones making the traffic, if only BR people traveled in BR life would be great!...today I saw 6 cars on perkins road between siegen and bluebonnet, so no, it is not bad any time of the day!!! Sorry about your accident though...
Suburbanites cause most of the traffic in most cities. That's even the case in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge