Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMenard View Post
And what about the Boardmore/Sherwood Forest Area? I've heard good and bad. Thanks again!!
The subdivisions of Broadmoor/Sherwood Forest have decent houses that have been around since the 40s/50s/60s. There are several problems: (1) Apartments along the periphery on Florida, Old Hammond Highway (between Sherwood and Millerville), and Flannery have gone way downhill, (2) the area north of Florida (at the northern doorstep) has gone downhill, and (3) when Womans (at the western edge of this part of town) pulls out, I wonder what willl happen with all those abandoned buildings.

So I would not pesonally recommend those neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 11:50 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Quote:
And what about the Boardmore/Sherwood Forest Area? I've heard good and bad. Thanks again!!
Broadmoor and Sherwood Forest are older neighborhoods. Big houses and big yards. Used to be upper middle class but now is mostly middle class. As another poster mentioned, there are some crummy apartments along the periphery of Sherwood. However, I know dozens of people who still live in Sherwood Forest and they don't seem to have a problem living there or recommending it to people.

Their primary complaints have to do with their houses getting older and requiring expensive renovations.

Definitely worth a look see.

I will also tell you that the neighborhoods across Florida Boulevard from Sherwood and Broadmoor should probably be avoided. This would include Villa Del Rey, Black Oak, La Belle Aire, Ashley Place, etc. and it used to be middle class (as opposed to upper middle class on the other side of Florida Blvd.) and are now primarily lower middle class and there are some very dangerous lower class apartments aroudn Harco Drive and Marque Ann Drive.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I will also tell you that the neighborhoods across Florida Boulevard from Sherwood and Broadmoor should probably be avoided. This would include Villa Del Rey, Black Oak, La Belle Aire, Ashley Place, etc. and it used to be middle class (as opposed to upper middle class on the other side of Florida Blvd.) and are now primarily lower middle class and there are some very dangerous lower class apartments aroudn Harco Drive and Marque Ann Drive.
To put this part of town (bordered by Florida, Airline, Flannery, and Choctaw) in perspective, 20-30 years ago, these were middle class neighborhoods. They had a decent Albertsons at Florida/Sherwood. Today, this area has gone WAY downhill. Albertsons closed several years ago. The Advocate did an article about this "war zone" recently: 2theadvocate.com | News |

And, to tell you the truth, I'm wary about those apartments/four plexes on Old Hammond between Flannery and Millerville. I would not look at the single family neighborhoods in that area off Old Hammond.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:18 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
And, to tell you the truth, I'm wary about those apartments/four plexes on Old Hammond between Flannery and Millerville. I would not look at the single family neighborhoods in that area off Old Hammond.
There are some decent neighborhoods off of Old Hammond , but those apartments look like a hell hole .

Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
There are some decent neighborhoods off of Old Hammond , but those apartments look like a hell hole .
Exactly. Those neighborhoods look like they have good starter homes, but you have "turning ghetto-ish" apartments close by.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
To put this part of town (bordered by Florida, Airline, Flannery, and Choctaw) in perspective, 20-30 years ago, these were middle class neighborhoods. They had a decent Albertsons at Florida/Sherwood. Today, this area has gone WAY downhill. Albertsons closed several years ago. The Advocate did an article about this "war zone" recently: 2theadvocate.com | News |

Not sure why you are quoting that article at me. I read it when it was printed in the advocate. Read the comments.

Notice I did not recommend that area North of Florida and Actually mentioned two of the streets referred to in the article. I don't think you need to quote the article at me.

To tell someone that the single-family sections of Sherwood Forest and Broadmore are going downhill just is not accurate. Sure, it may be more middle class than it was in 1970, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered for a first time home buyer.

For perspective on those crummy apartments you are talking about that border Sherwood Forest, Some of the most expensive property in Baton Rouge along Highland Road are only a stone's throw from Bayou Fountain and Gardere, yet people (read: not necessarily you) have no problem recommending places like Magnolia Woods or Kingcrest Parkway. Just doesn't make much sense to me. Sounds more like fear mongering.

While I would recommend the OP use their BRAIN when searching for houses (i.e. don't buy a house directly around the corner from an obvious crack shack or crummy comples) but to say that these entire HUGE neighborhoods are not worth looking at is just unfair to them. Both Sherwood Forest and Broadmore are a hot-bed of renovation activity and interest...alas, not everyone can afford brand new houses in sparkly subdivisions, and might find a very nice, newly renovated home in a neighborhood that nobody has been able to prove is unsafe or unworthy of a look-see.

In other news, I am disgusted to report that according to The Advocate's annual in-depth murder analysis: 92% of perpetrators were black and 93% of victims were black. 68% of all these people had previous arrests. Blacks make up 50% of the population in this city.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Not sure why you are quoting that article at me. I read it when it was printed in the advocate. Read the comments.

Notice I did not recommend that area North of Florida and Actually mentioned two of the streets referred to in the article. I don't think you need to quote the article at me..
(Shrug) Not sure what the big deal is - I referred to this article as an "Exhibit A" for others (not necessarily you) reading this.

Quote:
Some of the most expensive property in Baton Rouge along Highlibit Aand Road are only a stone's throw from Bayou Fountain and Gardere, yet people (read: not necessarily you) have no problem recommending places like Magnolia Woods or Kingcrest Parkway. Just doesn't make much sense to me. Sounds more like fear mongering.
As to the insinuation about fearmongering, Garderians tend to stay on their side of the Bayou, and that area has been bad for years. The apartments near Sherwood have gone "ghetto-ish" more recently, and I'm pointing out that fact.

As to the worthiness of Sherwood/Broadmoor, they're definitely affordable, but not only do you have not so nice apartments nearby, but the quality of retail in that part of town has changed over the years, and not necessarily for the better, considering that Florida Blvd and that part of Airline once was more of the retail corridor. Plus, when Womans moves down the road, I'd be questioning what will come of that complex. As well as all the doctors offices at its doorstep. And Womans borders Broadmoor and Tara.

And that's the best part about this forum - you can read a wide range of opinions and (hopefully) we can respect those opinions if presented in a factual manner. As opposed to the "BR sucks/crime is high/it's unsafe/people are uneducated" whining which is hardly representative of what BR is really like.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
(Shrug) Not sure what the big deal is - I referred to this article as an "Exhibit A" for others (not necessarily you) reading this.

As to the insinuation about fearmongering, Garderians tend to stay on their side of the Bayou, and that area has been bad for years. The apartments near Sherwood have gone "ghetto-ish" more recently, and I'm pointing out that fact.

As to the worthiness of Sherwood/Broadmoor, they're definitely affordable, but not only do you have not so nice apartments nearby, but the quality of retail in that part of town has changed over the years, and not necessarily for the better, considering that Florida Blvd and that part of Airline once was more of the retail corridor. Plus, when Womans moves down the road, I'd be questioning what will come of that complex. As well as all the doctors offices at its doorstep. And Womans borders Broadmoor and Tara.

And that's the best part about this forum - you can read a wide range of opinions and (hopefully) we can respect those opinions if presented in a factual manner. As opposed to the "BR sucks/crime is high/it's unsafe/people are uneducated" whining which is hardly representative of what BR is really like.
Well if I replied to your comment with an article quote, wouldn't that lead you to believe that it was directed at you?

So you are gonna say "garderians tend to stay on their side of the bayou"...honestly, I'm gonna tell you right now, that's bs. Most own cars, and as such, they move around just as much as anybody, and the neighborhoods I mentioned are right on the doorstep of Gardere, yet they have some extremely expensive properties...usually more expensive than anything in Broadmore or Sherwood. In fact, criminals aren't limited to bad neighborhoods at all. They can come to your neighborhood or my neighborhood too, if they wanted.

As far as retail...while Florida Bouelvard is no longer Baton Rouge's main retail artery, the retail is definitely there. You have Lowe's, Super Walmart, Petsmart. Upmteen dozen good stores at Hammond Aire Plaza on Airline. Not to mention the old mall (unless you are too cool to go there with the old people and the black folks). All of these are extremely convenient to Broadmore and not far from Sherwood Forest at all.

Also, Sam's is moving from it's location at Airline and Choctaw to Cortana Place, bringing that option closer to the neighborhoods in question.

And before anyone mentions how the Women's Hospital relocation will affect retail in this area...let me say this: Thousands of people will still be commuting along Florida Boulevard and Airline Highway. 1/4 of the city isn't going to die because a hospital relocates down the road. More fear mongering.

I don't think Tara is even worth debating about...that neighborhood has truly stood the test of time. I'm still amazed at how well kept up it has stayed...plus you can't even argue that the retail isn't there. Next door to Hammond Aire and three minutes from Town Center.

Last edited by MetroBTR; 01-13-2011 at 02:05 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 AM

9 posts, read 15,891 times
Default Re:

Quote:
My husband and I will be relocating to BR from NOLA in order for him to attend LSU starting in August 2011. We are looking to purchase a home for our tenure in Baton Rouge. Our dilemma is that we will lose his salary while he's in school, limiting our budget. What neighborhoods with starter homes would be worth researching? (Price range $120-$150). Thanks for the tips!
Hi just to help you out a little I will share with you my experience here in BR so far. I moved here in July and decided to buy a house without even spending the night here (I tend to be impulsive), but this forum actually helped me a lot as there are some people with some great tips and suggestions. I ended up moving into the Hundred Oaks area and couldn't be happier. I paid 150K for a 2br 1 ba 1100 Sf house. Since it is an older home there are some cosmetic upgrades needed but all the big things such as the A/C, roof, wood floors, water heater etc. were all almost brand new or in great condition. I am a single girl so my biggest concerns were safety and ending up with a huge fixer upper that would be way too much for me to handle. But luckily I found something in my price range in a pretty safe community. My neighbors tend to be a lot older than me, since I'm 25 but everyone was so nice and welcoming and most people know each other and had lived in the area for several years. This was unusual to me since I am from LA and well we never get to know our neighbors, but it was definitely a pleasant surprise. There is a good amount of people the walk and run throughout the neighborhood and even after dark without a problem. The surrounding areas are nice as well such as the garden district (although houses may be out of your price range here) mid city and capitol heights.
As others have mentioned some of these areas can be in a somewhat close proximity to some questionable parts of town but Ive never had a problem unless you were to go out of your way and venture into these areas and people tend to stay within their neighborhoods. I also have a co worker who lives in the same neighborhood as I and their house has gone up in value a pretty good amount in the seven years they have owned it, due to the Katrina victims moving here after the storm as well as small boutiques and restaurant/ bars opening up in the area adding a lot of appeal to the mid city area. I hope this helps but I have only been here for 7 months so maybe those who grew up here/ or have been here for several years may have much more insight that I do. Good Luck!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM

8 posts, read 14,738 times
Thanks for all of the replies. We are patiently waiting for his acceptance to LSU, and then we will start the hunt for a new BR place. I'm sure I'll be on here later asking for specific recommendations at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge