Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times

Advertisements

I just wondered if New Roads was safe and the good and bad of the town.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 04:13 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,162 times
Public school system is terrible . Limited job opportunities . 45 minutes from everywhere .

Old 02-17-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Public school system is terrible . Limited job opportunities . 45 minutes from everywhere .
Thanks. My understanding was that there is only 5,000 residents and everything is far away......

Appreciate !

Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 PM

71 posts, read 184,892 times
In my experience, no.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:14 AM

4 posts, read 6,578 times
When the Audubon Bridge links New Roads and St. Francisville, New Roads may become a choice location.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:48 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
New Roads is a beautiful community. New Roads and St. Francisville (just accross the river) are easily the most beautiful towns in the Baton Rouge area. Even if you don't end up living there, you should at least take a day to go and drive around up there.

Lots of opportunites for recreation, especially if you like boating/jet skiing.

Livonia High School is the public school for Pointe Coupee, and it's so-so. There is also Pointe Coupee Central High, which was taken over by the state and became a charter school. You do have two private schools in New Roads that you could choose. False River Academy and Catholic of Pointe Coupee. Both are good and pretty affordable.

Like most small towns, crime is low. Generally the good part of town is generally considered to be the area between the railroad tracks and False River. It's not like you have to go to Baton Rouge for everything if you live there. They have Wal-Mart, grocery stores, Stage, lots of restaurants, etc. Really everything you need except for Movie Theaters and Mall Stores.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:01 AM

I worked for a company that was located in New Roads for 19 yrs . It's one thing to go boating in False River , and another to live there and find work , raise a family , etc. Not my choice of small towns . Maybe the Audubon Bridge will improve things , but that is still years away from reality .

Old 02-18-2011, 03:30 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
I worked for a company that was located in New Roads for 19 yrs . It's one thing to go boating in False River , and another to live there and find work , raise a family , etc. Not my choice of small towns . Maybe the Audubon Bridge will improve things , but that is still years away from reality .
My wife grew up in New Roads and her mom and family still live there. I've spent many a weekend on her pier during my lifetime.

Many people commute to BR without problems. My mother-in-law's next door neighbor moved there from Prairieville (and he works in Geismar still). Says even though now he has to make such a long commute and he has to pay for his child's school, he would never go back to Prairieville.

It's an awesome place to raise a family. When I was raising my children here in BR we seriously considered moving to New Roads, because it is such a charming, family friendly place. It was one of those things we kept telling ourselves we were going to do but then we never got around to it and pretty soon kids were out of the house. I will say this much, my wife's nieces and nephews who went to the Catholic school in NR got just as good an education as my kids got at Catholic of BR and St. Joe's...only for a lot less money. Anyway, you get the picture...I regret not making the move a long time ago.

Its really is an extremely family oriented community. Everyone knows everyone and they look out for one another.

To the OP: It doesn't really make a difference to me where you move, but you're a fool if you don't take a closer look at New Roads. If nothing else, go for a visit.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
New Roads is a beautiful community. New Roads and St. Francisville (just accross the river) are easily the most beautiful towns in the Baton Rouge area. Even if you don't end up living there, you should at least take a day to go and drive around up there.

Lots of opportunites for recreation, especially if you like boating/jet skiing.

Livonia High School is the public school for Pointe Coupee, and it's so-so. There is also Pointe Coupee Central High, which was taken over by the state and became a charter school. You do have two private schools in New Roads that you could choose. False River Academy and Catholic of Pointe Coupee. Both are good and pretty affordable.

Like most small towns, crime is low. Generally the good part of town is generally considered to be the area between the railroad tracks and False River. It's not like you have to go to Baton Rouge for everything if you live there. They have Wal-Mart, grocery stores, Stage, lots of restaurants, etc. Really everything you need except for Movie Theaters and Mall Stores.
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer

I also thank everyone else who offered advice

Old 02-18-2011, 06:27 PM

Different strokes . Thank God we all have a choice of where WE want to live . What works for one , doesn't work for another .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge