U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM

16 posts, read 22,868 times
Default Pelican Point?

What can you tell me about Pelican Point? How far is it from a job in the southeastern part of Baton Rouge? Is it a retirement community or is it more for young (30-something) families with young children? What schools would kids go that lived there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 03:06 PM

10,868 posts, read 8,509,773 times
It's more geared toward 40+ I would say, with kids of course. It can suit you fine though. Where exactly is your job? I'm guessing south of I-12 on to the Acsension parish line but commuting to deep Gonzales from BR won't be pretty. You children will go to St. Amant schools I believe, much better than BR public schools but not as good as Dutchtown.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:42 AM

367 posts, read 608,712 times
I thought it was a 55+ community, but definately could be wrong. It's in a safe location but like the above poster said, quite a bit of a commute to do everyday. You should look into it though, I've seen a few houses listed in there that look like great deals.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:13 PM

Thanks. I don't want my husband to be too far from work. Yes, the job is just south of I-12. I'm not sure if it is on the parish line or not because I don't know where that is! I've actually never been to LA, but my husband might be getting a job there soon. We're still waiting to hear!

Where else would be good places to live??? We are in our 30's, from the midwest, have 2 young girls. We'd like a gated community or one that offers amenities and is in a very safe neighborhood. I don't care about a bunch of land, in fact I'd rather have less than 1/2 acre and be in a friendly neighborhood with other families our age. We're coming from a rather large house (4300 sq ft) but it looks like houses in BR are more $$ than here, so I'm thinking we'll have to have at least 3000 finished sq ft. Our price range is $350k-500k. I know that is a big range, but a lot depends on what we get for our house here!

From looking online, I REALLY LOVE the neighborhoods I found in Zachary, but it seems like they would be a hike from work, so we're thinking it would be better to be south of the city instead. Is that correct? I've looked at Praireville and Denham Springs, but they haven't really excited me much:-(

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:33 PM

You DON'T want to live in Zachary, your husband would hate you for the adventure to work. lol
Are you set on living in the suburbs? I lived in Prairieville for 8 years, about 20,000 more people that the city of Gonzales that sits next to it and its a town. It is growing fast and so is Livingston parish, both are suitable and offer MANY safe gated subdivisions. Not much in amenities in Prairieville, I think Livingston would offer more. You are capable of getting near a mansion with that price range. Between his job and Prairieville is Shenandoah, its an older neighborhood connected to the close amenities and newer subdivisions, pretty charming neighborhood in my eyes, safe, probably more diverse than subdivisions in Denham and Pville. The commute would be very simple as I-12 is around 5 miles away. The immediate area features 4 grocery stores, 2 movie theaters, a country club and golf course in the neighborhood, and other stores. Plus the area is moving up with many road projects on the verge of completion. You are close to many main arteries such as Coursey Blvd, Sherwood Forrest Blvd, Jones Creek, Tiger Bend, and Harrells Ferry. I lived right next door to Shenandoah as a child and miss this area.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:45 PM

See if you can find out more about where the job would be; that'll really help because I think one of the key things to being happy in BR is avoiding as much of the traffic as possible ! The good thing is that in that price range you should have a lot to choose from although you might have to downsize from your current home. And don't forget that you have to send your kids to private schools here, so budget for that.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:28 AM

Depending on where they choose to live, they won't need to go to a private school. Dutchtown (Prairieville/Geismar zoned) is an excellent public school (I graduated from there), as is Woodlawn (Shenandoah) and Dunham (many many nice homes on Perkins Rd).

Old 02-26-2011, 09:22 PM

Yes, I am set on living in the 'burbs! We <3 suburbia! Anyway, after looking at mapquest, the job looks to be south of I-12 off of Rt. 61 between Coursey and Siegen. So is Prarieville my best option? How far of a commute would that be?

I am hoping to be in a decent public school system. As a public school teacher myself, I do believe in the system:-)

Old 02-26-2011, 11:43 PM

Prairieville would probably be the best option for you, if you're set on public schools. I don't know any specifics about the schools in that area, maybe some moms can help you. I've just heard good things in general about Prairieville schools. I do agree with you in theory about public schools being best; but desegregation and parental apathy have really done a number on the ones in BR. It's very sad and likely very different from where you are moving from, so don't underestimate how bad the problems are in EBR parish schools.

Commute would probably be about 15 to 20 minutes assuming no unusual traffic. There's some really great homes in this area. I'm sure you'll find one you love, best of luck to you and feel free to DM me if you have any questions. I'm not an agent but follow the market pretty closely.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:21 AM

20 posts, read 18,570 times
Pelican Point is a nice place. Prairieville is nice as well. Will probably have traffic issues but it isn't near as bad coming from Ascension Parish as it is from Denham Springs during Prime Time. The Parish school system is great.

As other said. Pelican Point is a very nice subdivision and is in St. Amant (which are fine) school district which I always though was stupid as almost every other school in Gonzales is closer to Pelican Point. East Ascension High, Gonzales Primary and Middle schools are right down the street from the main entrance of the subdivision. Guess I am in the same situation as I moved to Prairieville and am right around the corner from Dutchtown High and my kids go to East Ascension which they love. We chose our home just so they could stay in school there. They were in Woodlawn a couple years ago and hated it.

I would suggest for your price range you look for a home along Old Perkins between Airline Highway and south of Bayou Manchac. Very nice homes and very good schools plus the drive into BR won't be brutal. Actually though, anywhere north north east of Gonzales and many parts of Gonzales are fine. I know most of the area around here and all of East Baton Rouge Parish. Feel free to send me a PM if you need info on a specific area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge