Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:22 AM

4 posts, read 5,805 times

Advertisements

So after some digging and help from people here, I've decided to rent an apartment on a 6 month lease instead. We really don't want to move into a bad neighborhood.

I have found a small, furnished, all utilities paid property that is located across from BRCC. The property is attached to the garage of the owners home. She says it is a new Crime Prevention District and that it is pretty quiet. I know this is just north of Government and just south of Florida, an area I've been told to avoid. However, I feel more comfortable since the owner lives on site.

Any thoughts on an arrangement like this, or the area?

Also what are some good apartments somewhat close to LSU that are in the $800 range?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 11:43 AM

228 posts, read 441,930 times
If it's across from BRCC you'll be ok. If you give the nearest intersection someone might let you know more.

Near LSU for that price range:
A good place is Turnberry Place apartments on Bluebonnet. They are safe and don't advertise. There are a lot of LSU football players who live there. Nice place.

Another is Mansions in the Park apartments. On Perkins. Quiet.

Both can be googled. Both near the Perkins Rowe shopping district.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 5,805 times
Thanks! I found out the house is actually on Parlange Drive, between North and Hermitage. On google maps it looks like somewhat bigger lots and homes.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,665,569 times
You should be alright there. That is in the Melrose subdivision, which is one of very few neighborhoods on that side of Florida that isn't completely trashed. It's about 50% white 50% black. Not alot of violent crime there. I'm not sure about property crime. It is close to some real ghetto areas though, so still be really careful.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,002 times
Wait...you are going to have questions about the Meadowpark area but move into a house on that side of Florida Blvd????

LOL. You couldn't pay me to drive through that area. In the daytime.

Look, it is all about where you feel comfortable - not what 10 random people who have never lived in the areas you are questioning have to say.

There is crime everywhere. period. Even in Santa Maria! GASP! You are never going to find a crime free area in BR.

The Perkins Siegen area is a good one. I used to live there myself and now live in Capital Heights so I have a good taste of both sides. I prefer the older, historic homes to the blah-every-house-looks-the-same type neighborhoods BUT I would feel comfortable living in the MeadowPark area with kids.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:33 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,665,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Mama View Post
Wait...you are going to have questions about the Meadowpark area but move into a house on that side of Florida Blvd????

LOL. You couldn't pay me to drive through that area. In the daytime.

Look, it is all about where you feel comfortable - not what 10 random people who have never lived in the areas you are questioning have to say.

There is crime everywhere. period. Even in Santa Maria! GASP! You are never going to find a crime free area in BR.

The Perkins Siegen area is a good one. I used to live there myself and now live in Capital Heights so I have a good taste of both sides. I prefer the older, historic homes to the blah-every-house-looks-the-same type neighborhoods BUT I would feel comfortable living in the MeadowPark area with kids.
I would live in Melrose subdivision before I would live in Meadow Park. Despite its location property values in Melrose are still good, and the houses are larger, more unique, and better constructed than in Meadow Park. Melrose is middle class, Meadowpark is lower middle class. Both neighborhoods are about half white and half black.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:30 PM

13 posts, read 19,107 times
As an LSU student you should really live in the LSU area where they have dedicated police. The neighborhood by Chimes is becoming less ghetto as uni housing developments take over steadily. You'll notice police stationed there every night. There are plenty of non-studenty-complex housing options in that area.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 839 times
Default Moving to Baton Rouge

Moving to BR in Feb and was despreatly searching for a safe area for me and my 3 kids can someone help??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge