Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,353,797 times

Advertisements

If certain neighborhoods want to pay for extra security I have no problem with that . Any notion of a city wide supplemental Police force is pure fantasy .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 06:56 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
City wide wouldn't even be considered. It's for certain neighborhoods as I mentioned in my post.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:17 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,353,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Some crime prevention for upcoming inner city neighborhoods.

-- areas prime for urban infill to help bring more people into them quicker.
--- If it were a city/parish government entity, taxes would surely have to be imposed to residents and business owners to fund the service.
I misunderstood the above I guess .

Old 11-13-2011, 03:34 AM

53 posts, read 91,224 times
North Baton Rouge (control crime and drive growth) , Down Town and Mid Town , (increase Density),a dedicated source of funding fo Mass Transit that allows transit connect the city to job and lifestyle centers in Ascension and Livingston as well as the airport.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:17 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,317 times
I have a proposal that I think may ease congestion on the portion of College Drive between Baywell Street and Perkins. Corporate Boulevard currently dead-ends at College just north of Interstate I-10. My proposal is to extend corporate to Acadian Thruway. I think this would help distribute traffic more efficiently. Currently if you want to access southwest Baton Rouge (which includes the LSU area) from the popular shopping, eating, and entertainmen area on Corporate, you pretty much have to use College Drive to get there. By extending the western terminus of Corporate to Acadian, you would give people another option to avoid the daily headache that is College Drive.

A small section of an undesirable neighborhood with low property values would have to be cleared, and most of existing Baywell Street would have to be expanded (and hopefully renamed as part of Corporate Blvd. to avoid confusion!). The intersection at Acadian would be upgraded.

As a bonus, I think this new thru traffic and exposure would improve property values in the Valley Park neighborhood (an Island of blight surrounded by very nice neighborhoods).

The blue line would be the general path of the new extension of Corporate. Most of this new section is a part of existing Baywell Street.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:50 AM

Good idea, Valley Park has potential with the location it's in. While we're at it, lets extend S Foster southbound to I-10, giving it interstate access as well. There's nothing in the way.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:34 AM

Kenilworth Pkwy extended to Jefferson, with interstate access to both I-10 and I-12. Not sure exactly how LSU Rural Life Museum fits in but it needs to move either way, prime land for development. Would tie in with the feeder roads along either interstate.
An exit for Baton Rouge General similar to the Mall Of Louisiana exit, maybe less extravagant but serving the Medical District, could help the district grow into an apparent med center.
It would be ideal if a plan was laid out to build an entire grid system of streets between Bluebonnet and Essen, north of the railroad tracks, built around the current streets and connecting some of the dead end streets. Safe and convenient pedestrian crossings on Essen and Bluebonnet. Although the fact that the mall has parking lots the size of the Pacific definitely hinder there use. With the hotels, employees, mall, and everyday traffic, it should work towards bringing small businesses, would have been perfect if the LSU hospital was going to be built there.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:52 PM

The only thing standing in the way of the S. Foster extension would be Phil Witter's ranch. I really like the idea of a dedicated exit for BRG.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 PM

COMING SOON? | Home | The Advocate — Baton Rouge, LA

I made a comment in the New Orleans forum a few weeks ago that I wish we were lucky enough to have a Rouse's here in BR. It seems like the gods must read the NOLA forums, because now it's been announced Rouse's is looking to expand to Metropolitan Baton Rouge.

They say they are looking to put a store in Ascension, possibly one near Zachary, and then one inside the city of Baton Rouge along the I-10 corridor. Where along I-10 in BR do you think the store should go? I would think College Drive area is out--too much competition from the pre-existing WM supercenter and Albertsons.

Naturally I wish they would build it closer into the heart of town, like at Perkins and Acadian/Stanford (idk, might still be too close to WM and Albertsons, as well as Bet-R-Store)

Would be great if we could get those mixed-use developments on Nicholson built...then maybe Rouse's would look at cornering the Nicholson/downtown market.

My money says it ends up on Siegen

Last edited by MetroBTR; 02-05-2012 at 11:58 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 AM

Where on Seigen? Target, Walmart, and Sams has Seigen on lock. Acadian Village would be the best realistic location, especially if Rouzan fully develops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge