U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 PM

1,734 posts, read 3,619,491 times

Advertisements

I decided to start this thread on a whim. The general idea is that you do some brainstorming and come up with a 'wish list' of projects you'd like to see happen in Baton Rouge. This means specific projects/developments, not general things like "Baton Rouge needs better roads" or "More bike lanes". There is nothing wrong with those wishes but I think it will be more fun and more interesting if we delve into the subjects a little deeper and come up with specific projects. It can be a specific place where you'd like bike lanes or a specific place where you want to see an improvement, etc. Here are my examples:

1) Broussard Street improvements: Broussard Street is currently a two-lane minor road that begins at Dalrymple Drive/Park Boulevard and terminates at Webb Park and golf course. It passes through the Garden District and Steele Place neighborhoods. I envision sidewalk improvements and a bike lane on the entire stretch of this street that would connect City Park and Webb Park. It would be similar to the improvements made to Capital Heights Avenue, except it would retain two-way traffic. It would intersect with the bike lanes on Glenmore Avenue, and provide increased connectivity in the area.

2) Glenmore Avenue improvements: Glenmore Avenue is currently a two lane road divided by a median for most of its length. It goes from Bawell Street to the south and continues to Government Street in the north. From Wells Street to Claycut Road it has wide bike lanes on either edge of the road. I picture Glenmore being improved from Claycut Road to government street, with new bike lanes added on either side, similar to the way it is on Capital Heights Avenue. This would compliment the Broussard Street project I described earlier, as well as connect both the Broussard Street project, and the existing Glenmore bike lanes, to the existing bike lanes and pedestrian walkways on Capital Heights Avenue. It would also provide access to Government Street and any future projects that go on there.

3) Garden District street light improvements: The Garden District does currently have street lights, but they are old and are in rough shape, and they are also very tall. Tall isn't necessarily a bad thing, but in a neighborhood like the Garden District, it means that much of the light produced gets obscured by dense tree branches, leaving the tree canopy illuminated, but the streets and sidewalks below cloaked in darkness. I think the neighborhood would look so much nicer if they were replaced with some new street lamps, preferably some with the old fashioned look that would go well in that old neigborhood. Maybe they could even be energy efficient . I admit this is one of the more frivolous things on my list but I think it would make people feel alot safer and further increase property values.

4) State Street improvements: Yes, our old friend State Street. This street must get bumpier every time I ride down it. It's in serious need of an overhaul, and there is alot of energy in the neighborhood, so I think it would be a very good project for the city to take on. There are lots of bikers in that neighborhood that commute to and from the LSU campus. I think even more people would ride their bikes if they felt it was safe to share that road with cars (mainly driven by reckless college kids). There were some sidewalk improvements recently, but there doesn't seem to be a cohesive initiative to improve the street. Improvements are coming together in a piecemeal fashion. The street needs to be torn up and a new road base built to fix sink holes. While they are at it they should throw in a bike lane and a cohesive sidewalk. I'd like to see a left turn lane on State at Dalrymple because traffic always backs up onto State in the afternoons.

Okay, these are just a few of the specific projects on my wish list. I'll give someone else room to talk now. It's okay to critique and offer suggestions, but let's try to have a thread where nobody calls anyone else's improvement ideas stupid or dumb. Instead of doing that maybe offer your opinion on how a project could work better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 12:21 AM

11,065 posts, read 9,130,432 times
1. Condo/Loft/Apartment mid-rise developments in the Garden District near Expressway Park, which would be heavily renovated with the proposed Greenway under I-110.

2. Some "Perkins Rowe" type development on Stanford/LSU Ave near the lake, would make the "streetcar" line more attractive.

3. New light poles and street signs that signify their neighborhood (Mid-City, South Medical District, Southdowns) and colored to fit the necessary theme (LSU). Also districting sections of the city which have no formal name. (South Medical District, Diamond District, Uptown [Bluebonnet area])
Seems like it would create more civic pride in neighborhoods and major intersections would get needed improvements.

4. Improved landscaping on the freeways with trees and maybe a water feature at the 10/12 split.

5. A large tech park and office complex on Harding Dr east of I-110. That direct area is showing improvement and it could help spur much needed activity in North BR.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
1. Condo/Loft/Apartment mid-rise developments in the Garden District near Expressway Park, which would be heavily renovated with the proposed Greenway under I-110.
I like that idea. How big are you thinking? The southwest corner of Myrtle Ave. and East Blvd. would be perfect for something like that depending on how big you are thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
5. A large tech park and office complex on Harding Dr east of I-110. That direct area is showing improvement and it could help spur much needed activity in North BR.
I like this idea, too. That area around Harding at Howell would be perfect for a district like that. Alot of undeveloped land there that could be something great.

Good ideas. Keep them coming.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 AM

11,065 posts, read 9,130,432 times
Big enough to turn around that area near East Blvd. 3-4 separate developments.

I have plenty more ideas I'll post up later.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:23 PM

13 posts, read 11,788 times
I think you're talking about public projects? This isn't one of them, but I would love for downtown to have more activity. It seems like all the buildings are empty and the businesses non existent or perpetually closed?

I would also like to see more fun and amusement outlets like blue bayou and celebration station. This is one potential example MOJEAUXS FFC

Old 07-16-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OracleBR View Post
I think you're talking about public projects? This isn't one of them, but I would love for downtown to have more activity. It seems like all the buildings are empty and the businesses non existent or perpetually closed?

I would also like to see more fun and amusement outlets like blue bayou and celebration station. This is one potential example MOJEAUXS FFC
The second thing you mentioned is more in the ballpark of what I'm looking for in this thread. The first thing I think falls in the category of being "too broad". I think Baton Rouge would also benefit from some place like Dave and Busters.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:12 PM

Dave and Busters looks good. Mojeaux seems to be the same thing but non-chain. Personally I'm new so I don't know what people want, especially I don't know what would fit in downtown besides another bar.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:14 PM

Personally, I think we need an IKEA. *waits for flames*

Old 07-16-2011, 11:06 PM

A few more:

North Boulevard Improvements: North Boulevard is currently a four-lane undivided road that stretches from River Road in the West to Foster Drive in the East. The portion I will address starts at N. 19th street in the West to Foster Drive in the East. There is surprisingly little traffic that uses this stretch of road and despite attempts by the city to change traffic patterns to utilize North Boulevard, it remains grossly under capacity. I previously pitched the idea of adding a light rail line to this street, but there is a more economical option that is much more likely to happen. I picture a three-lane street. Two traffic lanes in each direction and a center turn lane. Either put bike lanes on both sides, or put parallel parking on one side and a wide bike lane on the other. If I’m not mistaken North Boulevard already has adequate sidewalks on both sides of the road. It would improve access between downtown, Baton Rouge Magnet High, Baton Rouge General, and BRCC. There has been talk of doing this type of thing to Government Street but I personally think reducing capacity on Government would be a disaster.

BRPD Headquarters: Not knowledgeable enough about this particular subject to offer any deep insight, but the current headquarters on Mayflower Street in Beauregard Town is obsolete and falling apart. The buildings in the complex either need a total rehab (A la BR Magnet High) or need to be completely replaced. I’m not sure which would be cheaper. I think improvements to this building were included in last year’s failed tax package. Hopefully it will be included in any future tax packages. I for one don’t think we can seriously tackle the crime problem in Baton Rouge until the BRPD has an adequate headquarters.

Downtown Grocery Store: Downtown currently has employment opportunities, housing, restaurants, bars, entertainment venues, walkability, parking, and just about anything one could need, except for a full-service grocery store. There was talk of turning the St. Vincent De Paul Warehouse into a grocery store. If a store was put in that location, it could also benefit the LSU area and the future developments on Nicholson, as well as Old South. Is there any particular chain you all think would do well in that location given the future mixed use developments on Nicholson and the current make-up of Downtown? My first thought was Whole Foods, but while nice, it would be too expensive for a lot of Old South Residents. Maybe a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market would do well there.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OracleBR View Post
Personally, I think we need an IKEA. *waits for flames*
IKEA would be a nice addition to the BR furniture market. Where is the nearest IKEA, anyway? Houston?

And that Mojeaux's place looks like a blast. I played blacklight mini-golf (they called it glo-golf) in Nashville many years ago and I had the time of my life. Imagine a group of 50-something year olds acting like children at DisneyWorld. It would be really nice to have all those different things in one location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge