U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Caa Caa started this thread

883 posts, read 1,604,627 times

Advertisements

Hello out there. Wondering why people love/hate Baton Rouge. I have lived here 3years and love many aspects of living here. I know the crime rate is high, but that is about the same everywhere, even "safe" areas are getting crime ridden, so I know that is a factor. What do y'all think of living here, those of us that do?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 09:10 PM

1,357 posts, read 3,729,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
Hello out there. Wondering why people love/hate Baton Rouge. I have lived here 3years and love many aspects of living here. I know the crime rate is high, but that is about the same everywhere, even "safe" areas are getting crime ridden, so I know that is a factor. What do y'all think of living here, those of us that do?
I think Baton Rouge is a great place to live. It has gotten a more diverse population and selection of retail stores than it has had in the past.

As to the "love hate" - you can't beat LSU football, crawfish boils, and Mardi Gras.

I don't think the crime rate is THAT bad. There are certain sections (north of Fla Blvd, Gardere, Blvd De Province, north of LSU) that I don't visit at night, of course, but if you keep your wits about you you'll be fine.

Areas where our city needs to change: (1) repressive attitudes like the blue laws need to be junked (and fortunately, we'll have a vote this October on some of the obnoxious features), (2) we need to think of the WHOLE city when building new subdivisions/new retail - the NIMBY attitude about having a grid pattern is so backwards, (3) We need to upgrade the highway infrastructure connecting us with Livingston/Ascension, (4) More bike paths would be nice, (5) We need to think of our economic potential as more than the axis of state government/petrochemicals/higher education - those employers aren't really in expansion mode.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:41 PM

48 posts, read 7,777 times
Sorry to butt in as I don't live in Baton Rouge (!!!), but I travel there quite frequently for the fantastic:

- SHOPPING
- Restaurants

And.... okay, you got me - that's it. Because I do a lot of shopping, because I shop when I'm upset and, because of post Katrina influx in and around the Ponchatoula area where I live, this means I'm upset a lot and therefore shop a lot. (hmmmm.... if I quit shopping, I would no longer have to deal with Koo Koo for Cocoa Puffs Ka-donka in aisle 5!! No more standoffs in the parking lot, each of us threatening the other with her GAT!!)

:-)

J

Old 08-19-2007, 09:44 PM

48 posts, read 7,777 times
OMG, EUREEKA!!!!!!!!!!! There's been a breakthrough moment, Oprah would be so proud!!

The REASON I shop so much in Baton Rouge is because people are way nicer there, they actually act like HUMANS. WOW. K, now you'll never get rid of me Caa. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: