Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:57 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I don't speak "cajun" french but I consider myself a French speaker of Louisiana. Although the language cant be heard too often, there is a major push to bring it back with French immersion schools. Also, there is evidence that the next generation of young people are starting to bring it back. In New Orleans, I've heard people speaking french and met french speakers but they were either a. french immigrants b. products of french immersion (not cajun french) or c. just happen to speak french. I live in New Orleans so i dont know too many cajuns but out of my close circle of friends, only like 3 or 4 do not speak french. I don't know if that's normal in other parts of the country though.
I thought that French immersion failed? I would LOVE to speak French with other Louisianians on a daily basis but I feel I'm too old to learn it fluently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 11:28 AM

208 posts, read 837,428 times
Canada does a fantastic job keeping French alive outside of Quebec.
Many Canadians in New Brunswick and Newfoundland speak French.
Which is where the Cajuns can trace there ancestry, by the way.

I think knowing another language broadens the world for you.

I speak Dutch via Afrikaans (one of my parents is white South African). I recall vacationing in Aruba, where they speak "Dutch". It was a Dutch dialect I never heard, and I am more of a Afrikaans speaker, than a Dutch speaker.
It was a struggle to understand (think of an American English speaker having a conversation with someone with a strong Jamaican accent. Yes, they are speaking English, but it might takes listening to understand them. That is what it was like for me in Aruba)
But I found it fun exercising my Dutch-speaking muscle. I also had co-worker years ago who I thought was Indian. She ended up being Surinamese (where they speak Dutch as well). We would have fun speaking together in her Surinamese Dutch and I, in Afrikaans.

I'd imagine the French would have the same fun talking to a Cajun.
However the Parisians can be a snobbish and even scoff at Quebec French. As not "true" French.

I guess us English speakers (and Dutch speakers) see it differently. We tend to love talking to Australians, New Zealanders, Irish, Canadians and learn how they pronounce things, local slang, etc.
I dunno, my opinion.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:32 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpxexaxcxex View Post
Canada does a fantastic job keeping French alive outside of Quebec.
Many Canadians in New Brunswick and Newfoundland speak French.
Which is where the Cajuns can trace there ancestry, by the way.

Whether or not Canada does a fantastic job keeping French alive outside of Quebec is a matter of some debate in Canada.

In any event, it is not true that many people in Newfoundland speak French. And it is not the traditional home of Acadians (ancestors of the Cajuns). In Newfoundland probably only 1 or 2 percent of the population speaks French.

In New Brunswick - now you are talking. 250,000 of the 800,000 people, or about a third, of the people there are French speaking.

The actual original Acadia was in present-day Nova Scotia. Today there are about 50,000 French-speaking Acadians there, or about 5% of the total population.

The reason there are way more in New Brunswick is that when the deportation (from Nova Scotia) happened around 1755, many Acadians sought refuge in New Brunswick. And Louisiana of course.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:11 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
I'm part Cajun by way of my mom's side but can't speak a word of Cajun French, other than repeating song lyrics.

I went to the same high school as RCP and took Spanish because I thought it would be more useful. I really do need to learn some French though, nothing impresses women more than casually speaking to somebody in a foreign language.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:07 AM

640 posts, read 1,225,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I thought that French immersion failed? I would LOVE to speak French with other Louisianians on a daily basis but I feel I'm too old to learn it fluently.
I can't speak for other parishes, but immersion is generally booming in orleans. There are long waitings lists for the brand new lycee francais and plans for french immersion high schools. my brother is about to be paid by the state government to teach english in france for a year as part of a new training louisiana residents to be french immersion teachers rather than hire foreign teachers. It's definitely growing and many more people are looking into it these days.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:14 AM

That's great to hear. More parishes should join.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:05 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,843 times
Yeah the immersion program is growing (not as much) in lafayette and other parishes. I think there's a state mandate to try and make every parish in South Louisiana have atleast one immersion school by 2015 or something like that.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:55 PM

I bet EBR residents would oppose it.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:05 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I bet EBR residents would oppose it.
Trying to pick a fight , Annie ?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Trying to pick a fight , Annie ?
There's some validity my statement. I have a hard time believing EBR residents would want to add a immersion program to the schools, pay for it through already high taxes, and most of the people here don't even have strong Cajun, Cajun French, or Creole French ties. Parishes such as Terrebonne, Lafayette, Orleans, Iberia, and Acadia would embrace it easier I'm sure.
What is your stance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge