Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 04:08 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpasta View Post
I've been looking at homes (online) in Goodwood/ Broadmoor / Sherwood Forest / Tara....some homes look very promising, but I've heard traffic in BR is a concern. Would driving to LSU (at least one of us, likely both) daily be a concern? It doesn't look terribly far on the map, but I'm not sure how the traffic plays out. Proximity is part of the draw to the Garden District, along with it seeming walking-friendly. (I'm also assuming traffic wouldn't be an issue for Capital Heights and Southdowns).
Traffic is really easy coming into campus from the north, so Garden District is really good for that. Lee Drive and Highland Road south of campus are really dreadful during rush hour. Traffic going away from campus on Highland Road backs up from Lee Drive to LSU Avenue every afternoon during the semester.

If you can get to campus via Nicholson, Dalrymple/Park, or Acadian/Stanford, you're mostly golden. Capital Heights, Old Goodwood, and Tara are good because you can use Government to go West and then go south on one of the streets I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpasta View Post
I've been looking at homes (online) in Goodwood/ Broadmoor / Sherwood Forest / Tara....some homes look very promising, but I've heard traffic in BR is a concern. Would driving to LSU (at least one of us, likely both) daily be a concern? It doesn't look terribly far on the map, but I'm not sure how the traffic plays out. Proximity is part of the draw to the Garden District, along with it seeming walking-friendly. (I'm also assuming traffic wouldn't be an issue for Capital Heights and Southdowns).
He pretty much nailed it. I used to use Stanford/LSU Ave to get to campus on early mornings. There's traffic but nothing like Lee and Highland.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 PM

7 posts, read 11,500 times
This is very helpful information. Thank you.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 PM

annie_himself and MetroBTR, you both have been very helpful. We sent a list of the neighborhoods to one of my husband's future colleagues, and he responded by saying that several of them are very conservative "if you are into that sort of thing." In addition to the long walks, we'd love to live in a civically engaged sort of neighborhood, with at least some diversity. We definitely don't need to be surrounded by people who think just like us, but would like to avoid a neighborhood that has a strong conservative reputation. What do you think?

Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM

I desire the same types of neighborhoods as you. With that said, you can throw out Tara, Sherwood Forest, Broadmoor, Westminster, Inniswold, Old Jefferson, Oak Hills Place, etc. Focus on Old Goodwood (west of Lobdell), Garden District, Southdowns, the "dales" (bordered by Stanford Ave, I-10, and University Lake), Beauregard Town, Spanish Towne, and Capitol Heights. You can post physical addresses or nearby ones (to keep your potential home address off of the interweb) so we can give you info about that certain block and nearby crime. As I'm sure you know, urban areas of most of Americas cities are next door to crime infested areas.

Last edited by annie_himself; 02-04-2013 at 08:03 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 PM

Baton Rouge is a conservative town, so you pretty much have to be "into that sort of thing," or at least willing to put up with it. The only neighborhoods on your list that I'd say are more "liberal" than "conservative" are Spanishtown and Beauregard Town.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Baton Rouge is a conservative town, so you pretty much have to be "into that sort of thing," or at least willing to put up with it. The only neighborhoods on your list that I'd say are more "liberal" than "conservative" are Spanishtown and Beauregard Town.
I would include Southdowns.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 AM

Excellent. Thank you!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I would include Southdowns.
I might disagree, but I've split enough hairs

Greenpasta, do let us know where you end up and how you like it. I'm thrilled we will have you in BR.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I might disagree, but I've split enough hairs

Greenpasta, do let us know where you end up and how you like it. I'm thrilled we will have you in BR.
It's iffy but I've seen lots of democratic political signs there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge