Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 04:32 AM

6 posts, read 9,606 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the forums on Baton Rouge and its surrounding areas for best places to live for a family with kids (ages 16,14, and 7). Most of the forums were older posts and I wanted to ask how is the traffic now in 2013? How is the commute on HWY 12 from Denham Springs to Baton Rouge? Work would be at Airline HWY and HWY 12.

#2 Possibly looking to relocate and we come from a small town and enjoy a "small town" (75,000 population). So we are looking for outlying cities to live. Denham Springs seemed to come up as a possibility. I see that Denham Springs has maybe 4 homes(4 bedroom) available for rent in that area. Is that typical of Denham Springs to have minimal choices for renting? Any other cities to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 09:06 AM

30,053 posts, read 18,879,932 times
Denham I recommend first but also Prairieville and Gonzales are nice. Also check Watson and Walker. Commute is not easy but not terrible either. Prairieville would be easier to get to from the new Costco I think.

I'm originally from BR area but now live in Washington state and love Costco...all my relatives are excited to have the new one in NO and the new one opening in BR.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:12 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,181,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costcofamily View Post
I have been reading the forums on Baton Rouge and its surrounding areas for best places to live for a family with kids (ages 16,14, and 7). Most of the forums were older posts and I wanted to ask how is the traffic now in 2013? How is the commute on HWY 12 from Denham Springs to Baton Rouge? Work would be at Airline HWY and HWY 12.

#2 Possibly looking to relocate and we come from a small town and enjoy a "small town" (75,000 population). So we are looking for outlying cities to live. Denham Springs seemed to come up as a possibility. I see that Denham Springs has maybe 4 homes(4 bedroom) available for rent in that area. Is that typical of Denham Springs to have minimal choices for renting? Any other cities to consider?
Are you talking about I-12, the interstate? Traffic is bad and will get worse. You don't have a far commute as others so it might take 30-60 minutes to get to work.

Yes, suburbs here have tiny rental markets. If you enjoy a small town over suburbs then you don't want to look at Denham Springs or Prairieville. The westbank communities are better for small town living versus crowded suburbs.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:26 PM

6 posts, read 9,606 times
Yes I am talking about the interstate I-12....Sorry. Thank you, I will look into the westbank communities. Small town for us where we are is a few major grocery stores, a walmart, a target, and a few good restaurants. We live in a bedroom community. My husband already commutes 50 minutes each each way currently so if shorter than that...... we will take it. If that helps to suggest a place where it might suit us best.

In addition I would love any senior living apartment community recommendations? Thanks much!!

Old 12-25-2013, 07:47 AM

Ok well if you have a Walmart and a Target here, that's suburbs. When I think of small towns here I think of places that don't empty out at 7am and fill up at 6pm. Why not look into places closer to work? You will have the same amenities but a far less stressful commute.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:05 AM

8 posts, read 15,802 times
My family recently moved to the Baton Rouge area. We decided on Prairieville for the schools (Dutchtown) and smaller community. It's an easy commute to work (off Airline as well). The rental market is small in the area but you can find nice homes for rent.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,792 times
Okay here goes guys.My husband and I are relocating to Baton Rouge.I am such a small town girl.My home town has 18000 and this is scaring me a bit. looking to rent something that allows my cat and away from all the college kids.Do not hate me for that /Just a point in my life where i want peace and quite.It would make my life easier as well as yours lol.We do not need fancy.Just clean,quite and not such a high crime area.Any ideas?

Old 03-07-2014, 10:36 PM

Depends on what you want. There's countless areas around the metro area that are away from campus and safe. Do you want a place that feels like home or do you need to be in Baton Rouge? What type of housing are you looking for exactly?

Old 03-08-2014, 01:42 PM

27 posts, read 38,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmajoy View Post
Okay here goes guys.My husband and I are relocating to Baton Rouge.I am such a small town girl.My home town has 18000 and this is scaring me a bit. looking to rent something that allows my cat and away from all the college kids.Do not hate me for that /Just a point in my life where i want peace and quite.It would make my life easier as well as yours lol.We do not need fancy.Just clean,quite and not such a high crime area.Any ideas?
I'd recommend living in Denham Springs, Gonzales, Walker, or Watson. The commute isn't too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge