Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:45 AM

19 posts, read 47,909 times

Advertisements

As the title stated, the Law School at LSU has offered me a full tuition scholarship and I am torn as I have similar offers from Ole Miss Law, Miami Law, and California Western. I am originally from Memphis, TN and went to undergrad at Ole Miss. However, I am not a SUPER REBEL fan or LSU basher like many at Ole Miss; I just want a quality education and great job opportunities after school. My question is about the LSU community and the Baton Rouge area. I have done research on the night life, cost of living, and crime and blah blah blah. But what I am basically looking for is to hear what is it like to live there day in and day out from people who actually live there. It can be broad or specific--just whatever you feel like sharing or feel that may be important to a potential student of law. If it matters, I am black; but I am definitely cultured and get along with anybody. I just want to be in a place that will give me a good education and job prospects, be in a place that I can afford(problem with Miami is cost of living), and be in a place that I can enjoy the last 3 years of my non-career-working life. Thanks for all comments.

As for why I don't want to go to Ole Miss Law, I don't want to get stuck in Mississippi. Maybe I wouldn't get stuck, but I'm tired of Mississippi lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Many people love LSU. I don't know how a transplant would like it, though. Will you live on campus?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 AM

No, I am looking at apartments near the Law school like Tiger Grove, Southgate Towers or Woodlands.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:54 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Those places are nice. Lots of students.
Baton Rouge offers pretty good nightlife for it's size, in my opinion. Also not far from the party cities of Lafayette and New Orleans. It's a beautiful campus that's growing. Maybe an alumni can chime in...

Old 01-22-2014, 04:31 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
LRAdams, I don't know how it is now - but my son was also offered a place at LSU and declined because of some of the courses that were offered which were more specific to LA law, which is really different than law practiced elsewhere - it is based on ... something-something, I don't know, rather than English common law. I do remember him saying in practice that LA judges ruled on whatever they thought was right rather than precedent (and that's all I remember from that time long ago other than staggering law school bills from the University of Michigan, which was his final landing spot). I don't know all the details, but from what I remember he had a choice in some civil law courses of taking those which conformed to Louisiana law versus everywhere else, but he didn't feel the options for the outside world were quite as good at LSU as somewhere else. I hope I am recalling all of this correctly.

You might consider that as you go forward....I realize you might not practice in Louisiana, but it might be somewhat of a hindrance as you start into your career. Or not. I'm just the bill-payer and know not of what I speak :-)

I know absolutely nothing about Miami Law or California Western, but I DO know Ole Miss, being a former MS resident. You have personal experience there so I won't go into that, but one caveat - you won't care one whit what the night life is after about the first 3 days for the rest of your law school time. Not a bit. Or even where Memphis is, or home, or anything else. It's not only the end of your non-career-working life, it's the end of life as you know it for a very long time!

Good luck to you wherever you land....and FWIW, I'm an LSU fan as well, so not trying to lead you away from that area. I love all 'tings' Louisiana. If BR is where you decide to go, please come back and ask any questions you need to get yourself settled and to report on your new experience if you can pull yourself out of that con law book long enough to post!

Old 01-22-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
LRAdams, I don't know how it is now - but my son was also offered a place at LSU and declined because of some of the courses that were offered which were more specific to LA law, which is really different than law practiced elsewhere - it is based on ... something-something, I don't know, rather than English common law. I do remember him saying in practice that LA judges ruled on whatever they thought was right rather than precedent (and that's all I remember from that time long ago other than staggering law school bills from the University of Michigan, which was his final landing spot). I don't know all the details, but from what I remember he had a choice in some civil law courses of taking those which conformed to Louisiana law versus everywhere else, but he didn't feel the options for the outside world were quite as good at LSU as somewhere else. I hope I am recalling all of this correctly.

You might consider that as you go forward....I realize you might not practice in Louisiana, but it might be somewhat of a hindrance as you start into your career. Or not. I'm just the bill-payer and know not of what I speak :-)

I know absolutely nothing about Miami Law or California Western, but I DO know Ole Miss, being a former MS resident. You have personal experience there so I won't go into that, but one caveat - you won't care one whit what the night life is after about the first 3 days for the rest of your law school time. Not a bit. Or even where Memphis is, or home, or anything else. It's not only the end of your non-career-working life, it's the end of life as you know it for a very long time!

Good luck to you wherever you land....and FWIW, I'm an LSU fan as well, so not trying to lead you away from that area. I love all 'tings' Louisiana. If BR is where you decide to go, please come back and ask any questions you need to get yourself settled and to report on your new experience if you can pull yourself out of that con law book long enough to post!
Well I just got a $105,000 scholarship for Emory Law in ATL in the mail yesterday afternoon so my world has just flip flopped all over the place!!! Lol But thanks for your input. The fact that LSU teachers sway towards Civil Law worried me a little. But after receiving this scholarship from Emory, I am 99% sure I will be going to Atlanta.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:23 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Holler at me via DM if you end up in ATL - the son who ended up at Michigan is no longer an attorney (by choice - loved the theory, the practice not so much, lol!) and has now relocated to ATL - but he was an excellent student and may be able to give you some early heads-up on how NOT to be overwhelmed from the get-go.

Best to you, LRAdams, in all your endeavors - be sure and visit the ATL forum if you need help on housing, etc.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:57 PM

164 posts, read 282,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRadams7474 View Post
As the title stated, the Law School at LSU has offered me a full tuition scholarship and I am torn as I have similar offers from Ole Miss Law, Miami Law, and California Western. I am originally from Memphis, TN and went to undergrad at Ole Miss. However, I am not a SUPER REBEL fan or LSU basher like many at Ole Miss; I just want a quality education and great job opportunities after school. My question is about the LSU community and the Baton Rouge area. I have done research on the night life, cost of living, and crime and blah blah blah. But what I am basically looking for is to hear what is it like to live there day in and day out from people who actually live there. It can be broad or specific--just whatever you feel like sharing or feel that may be important to a potential student of law. If it matters, I am black; but I am definitely cultured and get along with anybody. I just want to be in a place that will give me a good education and job prospects, be in a place that I can afford(problem with Miami is cost of living), and be in a place that I can enjoy the last 3 years of my non-career-working life. Thanks for all comments.

As for why I don't want to go to Ole Miss Law, I don't want to get stuck in Mississippi. Maybe I wouldn't get stuck, but I'm tired of Mississippi lol.

If you have only Ole Miss and LSU offer with full ride, no brainer for LSU.
If you have T7 offer, go for Top 7 regardless of how much you will borrow...

Old 05-28-2014, 02:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,763 times
How did you get so many full scholarship offers?

Old 05-28-2014, 05:24 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post

Louisiana law is based on Napoleonic Code, that said LSU Law school has a fine reputation.

O/P a huge congrats on all those full paid scholarships!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge