Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 06:10 PM

14 posts, read 79,947 times

Advertisements

Sheriff site
Calls for Assistance (http://www.ebrso.org/stats/cad/agreement.php - broken link)

City Police
BRPD Incident Maps

Moderator cut: please see direct message I have used these links often. I am not sure how many people are aware of them. They dont tell you which address but pretty closely tell you crime stats. Narrowing it down quite a bit.

Moderator cut: edit Summerwood, Nicholson Lakes,and Stonelake at Pelican Lakes. Naturally crime is a big factor in these areas. Crime has been limited. Summerwood had some instances of crime and Moderator cut: editresidents were informed and have not had problems recently. The Summerwood Villas has definitely had more of a crime problem but they never have working gates and I feel are easier targets. Nicholson Lakes has recently had some instances of crime but should be addressed with fencing. Stonelake is new has some residents but no problems. They will be gated.

My whole point, I am noticing a real trend that our criminals are getting lazier. They are not tending to work for things and only taking what is easy to get. Shortly after Katrina there were brazen crimes around Baton Rouge. Over off Perkins several instances of armed robbery, etc.. I am not seeing this now. They are sticking to easy targets. Lots of unlocked doors etc..

This is my experience. Of course I am dealing with larger scale than most but what do you think of recent crime activity?

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-07-2007 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 07:50 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katMason View Post
Sheriff site
Calls for Assistance (http://www.ebrso.org/stats/cad/agreement.php - broken link)

City Police
BRPD Incident Maps

Moderator cut: please see direct message I have used these links often. I am not sure how many people are aware of them. They dont tell you which address but pretty closely tell you crime stats. Narrowing it down quite a bit.

Moderator cut: edit Summerwood, Nicholson Lakes,and Stonelake at Pelican Lakes. Naturally crime is a big factor in these areas. Crime has been limited. Summerwood had some instances of crime and Moderator cut: editresidents were informed and have not had problems recently. The Summerwood Villas has definitely had more of a crime problem but they never have working gates and I feel are easier targets. Nicholson Lakes has recently had some instances of crime but should be addressed with fencing. Stonelake is new has some residents but no problems. They will be gated.

My whole point, I am noticing a real trend that our criminals are getting lazier. They are not tending to work for things and only taking what is easy to get. Shortly after Katrina there were brazen crimes around Baton Rouge. Over off Perkins several instances of armed robbery, etc.. I am not seeing this now. They are sticking to easy targets. Lots of unlocked doors etc..

This is my experience. Of course I am dealing with larger scale than most but what do you think of recent crime activity?
Can I yawn ? Seriously, all these reports of BR as being this war zone are silly. Not that I believe we're this haven of Shangri-La, but for a metropolitan area of 700K, we do OK. There's just some parts of town you don't want to hang around at dark.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:01 PM

155 posts, read 766,401 times
BRMan, Ditto!!! And what is it with all these "realtors" looking for free plugs.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:02 PM

My point and I believe information provided here can be incorrect. Posts are completed regarding crime but is not based on fact but history.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:39 AM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
It's just a scare tactic. Every city has their crime areas in addition to citizens who love to overdramatize the facts.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:07 AM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
"Zachary should be great! I live in Central and people in Baton Rouge must not see their behavoir for what it is. Community is great even if you have to drive. Lots of business is beginning to locate to Zachary. The schools are rated in the top all the time. Even without children it shows in the pride of the community. Baton Rouge has little pride and lots of arrogance. Not all just generalized." -katMason

So this was you on the next thread? Nice comments. I'm glad you were able to move out of the city and find your happiness, because I'm just having a hard time finding perfection anywhere I live. For too long, Baton Rouge citizens centered their efforts on not becoming another NOLA. This city was ultra-conservative and religious based (half protestant-half catholic (maybe more than half protestant)). For this city to improve on itself, it has to become more progressive and that scares the crap out of a lot of people. Now I won't pretend to make excuses for the education system in BR, but I can assure you that every single person who moved out of this city because they didn't want their kid to sit next to a minority and took their tax dollars to an surrounding parish sure didn't help the problem at all. I hate to break the news to those people, but even though Zachary had some of the best schools in the state, they still rank in the 80% percent-tile for the nation. The point it, education is a statewide problem here and not centered solely in BR.
I for one love this mayor we have now. He cares a lot for this city, and I hope he is able to make the changes he is trying to make for the betterment of this city (and surrounding metro area, whether you like it or not). I have a ton of pride for this city and local area. I wouldn't live anywhere else in this state. And if that makes me arrogant, well, I don't care what the outsiders think because it's our city and not theirs/yours anymore. Now I am going out to enjoy my city. I can imagine a lot of suburbanites have come/will come into our city today as well and enjoy something about it. Have a great day.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
It's just a scare tactic. Every city has their crime areas in addition to citizens who love to overdramatize the facts.
I agree with you. People are always saying BR has high crime, ok, what city does not have a pretty high crime rate? Just stay away from the worst places and more than likely, youa re ok. I know random crime happens in the best of areas, just always watch out for yourself and this is true even in "low" crime areas. I do agree that after katrina, the crime rate was high, but now, it seems back to normal as far as I can tell.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:29 PM

I live next door to a black family and could care less what color they are. Our children play together and I encourage this. It is community that brings me to the suburban areas. I encourage everyone to look at the links provided by the City Parish. The crime is there black and white. It is exaggerated regularly which is why I feel people should view for themselves. As well as some of the people regularly replying on these boards. Like I said Baton Rouge lacks pride and community. As for Kip Holden I have been very impressed with him, as well as the chief of police. Have you heard him speak? He talks alot about the need for Baton Rouge to come together as a community but it is not happening. He feels it takes a village to raise a child. I am glad you are not that way. I did say I was generalizing.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,603 times
I think Baton Rouge has a lot of pride and community spirit! I have attended many fundraisers ans functions and always have a great turnout of people willing to help each other. I have to disagree with the previous post that BR lacks communityspirit and pride. I do wish though that people would be a bit kinder on the roads-the only complaint I really have about BR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge