U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-09-2007, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,145 times
Default Moving to Baton Rouge

I am in the process of moving to Baton Rouge. I was looking at houses last week in Shenandoah (Cross Gate off Tiger Bend) and Woodridge (off Pique). I am single, 26 and I don't know anybody. My question...Is Shenandoah and/or Pique too far away from good places to go out? Where do people around my age usually go? How do you like the city?

Any advice would be welcome....Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 04:21 PM

1,357 posts, read 3,640,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelberg12 View Post
I am in the process of moving to Baton Rouge. I was looking at houses last week in Shenandoah (Cross Gate off Tiger Bend) and Woodridge (off Pique). I am single, 26 and I don't know anybody. My question...Is Shenandoah and/or Pique too far away from good places to go out? Where do people around my age usually go? How do you like the city?

Any advice would be welcome....Thanks!!
The #1 question is where you want to work because the traffic can be horrible or reasonable, depending on where work and home are.

I'm not personally crazy about anything east of Airline (SE BR, in other words), because the traffic on Airline/Coursey/Old Jefferson is awful. So I'm indirectly x-neing Shenandoah.

Woodridge subdivision is in an area that is about to be discovered, but depending on where you work, you may have to deal with Airline Hwy traffic heading to/from Prairieville (bad), or you can take the back way through Pecue.

Anyway, where you work and what you are willing to spend are the two variables we need to know.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,145 times
I travel all over Louisiana and Mississippi so I have no office. I just wanted to make sure I was near the major highways. I like the Woodridge subdivision but the Shenandoah/Cross Gate is basically the same house but 50k cheaper and only about 5 minutes from Woodridge.

Is the traffic and area that much worse? Thanks!!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelberg12 View Post
I travel all over Louisiana and Mississippi so I have no office. I just wanted to make sure I was near the major highways. I like the Woodridge subdivision but the Shenandoah/Cross Gate is basically the same house but 50k cheaper and only about 5 minutes from Woodridge.

Is the traffic and area that much worse? Thanks!!
Shenandoah's cheaper, but the "escape routes" (Jones Creek, Coursey, George O' Neal) are pretty bad. Plus, there are lots of apartments and duplexes scattered here and there, like along George O'Neal and at Harrells Ferry/O'Neal. I see those areas starting to go down.

Woodridge is a nice new area that backs up onto a nice subdivision that has been around since the 70s/80s. And I see Pecue eventually getting Interstate access. Bluebonnet and Siegen are rapidly filling up. Pecue is currently the empty country road. But I read about plans for a development between Siegen and Pecue behind Tinseltown. Plus, there has been talk of "straightening out" Pecue. And with Pecue, you can take it down it to Perkins and hit the Interstate a few miles away at Perkins/Highland if Airline is backed up.

Another area you may want to check out if you like the newer homes in the 200s/300s: Jefferson Terrace within a block of Bluebonnet either way is getting some new subdivisions. And the area is nearly entirely single family homes, so there is a buffer zone.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:57 PM

794 posts, read 2,296,137 times
Yes, Pecue is scheduled to get an interchange with I-10, if you plan on being here for the long term. It was in the Transportation Plan when I used to work for the AQ analysis portion of it. It was on the 10 year plan, but I know everything has pretty much been bumped up due to increased revenue from the state and feds and support from the EPA due to our air quality designation. A lot of expansion projects are scheduled to begin in the next 12-18 months.
Sherwood is pretty much a nightmare except on nights and weekends, but nothing over there is unbearable. Airline used to be a mess, but that new CFI intersection and 6 lane north of there has made a huge difference between Florida and Siegen.
Everything in Baton Rouge is a chance. You can have light traffic for a week on the interstate and then one morning there will be a overturned tanker and the freeway is shut down. Then you have to deal with all the suburbanites taking the surface streets like Airline, Florida, Jefferson to get into town. It's always nice to watch the traffic cams or listen to the radio a good 15-30 minutes before you plan to leave.
As far as location to everything you might need, Shenandoah is close enough. If you go out evenings or weekends, you'll notice you can get around most of south BR pretty easily and quickly (except for maybe the mall area around Christmas). There are restaurants and sports bars opened up along Coursey now and Coursey/Bluebonnet will take you all the way to the river where you're just south of the LSU campus. If you're single and in your 20s and like to meet women and go clubbing, you may be spending a lot of time around campus although a lot of people are rediscovering downtown now which is adding something new all the time.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
A lot of expansion projects are scheduled to begin in the next 12-18 months.
Do you know if/when they'll start those Green Light projects ? Which expansion projects are slated to start ?

Old 12-10-2007, 02:51 PM

794 posts, read 2,296,137 times
Major projects already slated, like Burbank expansion, O'neal expansion, Veterans Memorial extension by the airport, and the traffic light synch project. I know other ones almost ready include the Staring Lane expansion & extension, Old Hammond Hwy (the completion of expansion), Stumburg extension, Nicholson (LA30) expansion, Brightside, Pecue expansion & straightening (not including the new interchange).
The last TIP I have a copy of is from 2006. I know the I-10 expansion project and the new Amite River Bridges for Florida Blvd have already jumped all of the proposed projects in the 2006 TIP. For every project that gets forwarded, others have to be bumped back. I don't know which ones have been put on hold indefinitely. My guess would be the intersection improvements and smaller street expansions because Kip seems to like the major projects. Which is a great thing.
The last meeting I sat in on was a presentation for the LA 415 connector that would give WBR (Brusly and Plaquemine traffic mostly) a new bridge over the ICWW. Of course that would be 4-6 years down the road. Kip is determined to get a loop and to get some sort of I-10 expansion through the city (Acadian to the Bridge). The plans looked pretty interesting, including possible service roads along I-10 from Acadian to Essen and the removing of the Washington Street ramp. There is a pretty major plan to redo the Acadian/Perkins intersection that might even include a closing and removal of the I-10 westbound onramp and eastbound off ramp to Perkins. That plan is to open up the space for the Perkins Overpass district.
Also DOTD is still looking to expand their ITS system of cameras and dynamic message boards.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Caa

874 posts, read 1,553,611 times
I love Br and hope you like it too! I love the areas that the posters are talking about. The Woodridge area is very nice, but I think there are a lot of kids and families there, which is good of you like that type of neighborhood, which I do being I am married with a child. The people here in BR are very friendly and I hope you like it here too! Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge