Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 06:31 PM

15 posts, read 16,993 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated from Southern University and I'm currently looking for a job. I have applied to so many jobs for the state and haven't gotten any potential interview. Does anyone have any advice on how to get on with the State?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:34 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Having connections is key, I am going through the same process applying to work for the Commonwealth of Kentucky and its a long slow process, government agencies work slow.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:41 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
It's called nepotism and most states, if not all still work this way as it's the easy way to the gray train for retirement.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:51 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
It's called nepotism and most states, if not all still work this way as it's the easy way to the gray train for retirement.
Govt jobs don't pay that well thou unless its a fed job, state jobs are not as great as you might think.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:41 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
I guess it varies by state but there are FAT salaries to be had by many MA police, fireman and teachers. When one can retire very comfortably after 25 years on the job, well for most of us simple folk who work for small business that's not a reality. Never mind the other perks and that they gain. Take a look and see how many boston cops made well over 100,000 k last year with some making over 250,000. Don't know about others, but to me that's a VERY decent salary. And police and firefighters don't even fall into the category of the top 10 deadliest jobs. And I'm not hating on em and respect what they do..
But salaries for certain federal and state jobs are outta wack, at least where i live.

The stat's don't lie and like i said it does vary by state and many folks on the Federal level are doing just fine.

Also many of this type of federal or state worker wouldn't have their job without knowing someone to get em in the door.

In closing, i know I'm focusing on certain agencies and do know that some other type of fed/state jobs don't pay as well. Maybe the wealth could be spread around more evenly.

Last edited by brienzi; 02-13-2015 at 08:02 PM..

Old 05-01-2015, 07:37 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiLynn248 View Post
I recently graduated from Southern University and I'm currently looking for a job. I have applied to so many jobs for the state and haven't gotten any potential interview. Does anyone have any advice on how to get on with the State?

you got to be a minority

Old 05-06-2015, 08:22 PM

12 posts, read 11,055 times
When i worked for the state i earned a pretty good salary.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,256 times
Default State Employee Here...

Hi, JoiLynn,

First, congratulations on graduating!

I do agree with the Wildcat that having connections is helpful, but it's not critical. Years ago a family friend recommended I apply with her agency, since they were looking for a college graduate to fill an entry level position. Long story short, although I applied and got an interview, they ultimately hired someone's nephew or whatever to fill the post. But there was another position open with her agency that I also qualified for, and fortunately I was offered that job.

That was 10-plus some years ago, and entry level spots are harder to come by now. I should also add that I am working in a job completely unrelated to the field I graduated in (journalism). I would recommend if you haven't already done so looking for job openings with minimum requirements of just a four-year degree, that don't specify the field of study. You'll be trained by the department on what you need to know. It may not be related to anything you studied but it will be a foot in the door.

Good luck!

Old 05-12-2015, 01:09 PM

144 posts, read 205,031 times
I had applied for one position that I had no interest in taking, just to see if applying for these positions through the website is worthwhile. I did have an interview for it, but it was nothing I was interested in doing. So I guess it's possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: