Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 09:46 PM

4 posts, read 11,658 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I will be moving to BR on kinda short notice. I've only passed through BR so I am not familiar with neighborhoods there. I am not Mr. Moneybags as I am looking to pay no more than 900 monthly on an apartment. Is it possible to live in a decent area for that price, and if so where? What areas should I avoid? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 07:00 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab7735 View Post
Hello All,

I will be moving to BR on kinda short notice. I've only passed through BR so I am not familiar with neighborhoods there. I am not Mr. Moneybags as I am looking to pay no more than 900 monthly on an apartment. Is it possible to live in a decent area for that price, and if so where? What areas should I avoid? Thanks.
Avoid the following: (1) anything north of Florida and west of the Comite, (2) Blvd De Provence (a street near Sherwood/I-12 with slummy apartments), (3) Gardere Lane, (4) areas north of LSU, (5) Flannery Road.

Beyond those generalities, where will your job be ? Once we know that, we can narrow down your choices.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:08 AM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
You can live in a decent place, decent area of town for $900/month. I take it you're willing to spend that much. I'm also assuming 1 bedroom.
There are many older properties around Bocage which is a nice area of town for less than $900. The newer places are charging $1000 for a 1br. But the whole area is fairly nice and not many of the properties are rat nests. The only one that I heard a lot of complaints from was the Gates at Citiplace. Not really sure why, but it gets rough reviews. The property also backs the freeway, so I imagine it might be noisy too.
On the average, most require that you make 3x or 4x the rent (in income) to rent.
There are plenty of other good areas, but I won't go into any further detail yet. I do think you want to try to live in close proximity to your employer although you don't have to. The commute times from around the city aren't too bad, but they get worse if you try to live out in the surrounding parishes (unless you're going to be working out there as well).
Best of luck to you.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:25 PM

80 posts, read 129,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Avoid the following: (1) anything north of Florida and west of the Comite, (2) Blvd De Provence (a street near Sherwood/I-12 with slummy apartments), (3) Gardere Lane, (4) areas north of LSU, (5) Flannery Road.

Beyond those generalities, where will your job be ? Once we know that, we can narrow down your choices.

Do you have this post copied/pasted onto a .txt file somewhere in your computer for convenience?

Your hand must get tired of typing the same thing over again. lol

Old 01-25-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald120 View Post
Do you have this post copied/pasted onto a .txt file somewhere in your computer for convenience?

Your hand must get tired of typing the same thing over again. lol
LOL - Yes, I need to start giving this "name, rank, and serial number" kind of response.

Better yet, I could politiely tell the OP to please look at other "moving to BR" threads, because it doesn't take THAT long to read the Louisiana forum to find answers to this same question over...and over...and over.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:33 PM

Let me give yall a few of my choices. Hidden Pointe, Castlebrook, Edgewood and Longwood Luxury apts. I like the location of these choices but I am leaning towards Hidden Pointe. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Let me give yall a few of my choices. Hidden Pointe, Castlebrook, Edgewood and Longwood Luxury apts. I like the location of these choices but I am leaning towards Hidden Pointe. Thanks.

Beyond those generalities, where will your job be ? Once we know that, we can narrow down your choices. Yesterday 10:46 PM

I will need freeway access as my job requires me to travel daily around Southern Louisiana and Mississippi.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Hidden Pointe is OK but the Sherwood Forest traffic during rush hour is evil

Castlebrook - same answer

Edgewood - decent apartments. Honestly don't know how good/bad Stumberg is since they widened it a decade ago.

What street is Longwood on ? I googled it and

Old 01-25-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Hidden Pointe is OK but the Sherwood Forest traffic during rush hour is evil

Castlebrook - same answer

Edgewood - decent apartments. Honestly don't know how good/bad Stumberg is since they widened it a decade ago.

What street is Longwood on ? I googled it and didn't see that complex.

If you want freeway access, you may want to look at Chateau Dijon and Cobblestone on Essen. There's also Cypress Lake on Rieger (the service road that parallels I-10 at Siegen).

Old 01-31-2008, 03:23 PM

378 posts, read 1,206,482 times
Chateau Dijon on Essen, can't beat the location and I've heard good things about it. There are also some apartments on the northern end of College Drive that are safe and convenient to access the interstate, traffic can be a real hassle around there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: