Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,648 times

Advertisements

Need Help and all of your wonderful advice. We are moving to Baton Rouge. Honestly I hate to say it but the only time I have ever been there was for a football game lol. Moving with 2 teenagers, 2 babies and a husband that is... well like a teenager

Can anyone tell me where to look for a house, maybe with a few acres that is safe. What areas are safe and what are not? I have seen houses listed as East Baton Rouge etc. which would be ok to look at?

Top Schools?

Things to do?

Fishing or water access?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 06:13 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Budget?

Public schools or private?

Old 04-14-2016, 05:54 PM

221 posts, read 183,862 times
Homes with a few acres in the nicer parts of Baton Rouge are really pricey. If acreage is that high on your priority list, you may want to look into less expensive places in neighboring Livingston or Ascension Parish.

In Baton Rouge, my favorite neighborhoods are Beauregard Town (north of Government Street), Garden District, and Shenandoah.

Areas to avoid like the plague:

- Anywhere north of Florida Blvd.
- Gardere
- Tigerland
- Anywhere between Downtown and LSU

Public schools here are generally bad. A ballpark figure for a good private school would be approx. $10,000 tuition + fees per child per school year. If that isn't feasible, you may want to look into living in Central or Zachary.

As far as recreation is concerned, fishing, boating, and hunting spots within an hour's drive are plentiful. They don't call Louisiana "Sportsman Paradise" for nothing.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Pieces of Flair View Post
Homes with a few acres in the nicer parts of Baton Rouge are really pricey. If acreage is that high on your priority list, you may want to look into less expensive places in neighboring Livingston or Ascension Parish.

In Baton Rouge, my favorite neighborhoods are Beauregard Town (north of Government Street), Garden District, and Shenandoah.

Areas to avoid like the plague:

- Anywhere north of Florida Blvd.
- Gardere
- Tigerland
- Anywhere between Downtown and LSU

Public schools here are generally bad. A ballpark figure for a good private school would be approx. $10,000 tuition + fees per child per school year. If that isn't feasible, you may want to look into living in Central or Zachary.

As far as recreation is concerned, fishing, boating, and hunting spots within an hour's drive are plentiful. They don't call Louisiana "Sportsman Paradise" for nothing.
South Baton Rouge isn't really bad at all. I can't remember the last incident over there. It's mainly old folks and will be gentrified soon.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,564 times
My husband is considering a job in Zachary, and we'd be moving from Missouri (with kids). From what I'm reading in these comments, we should probably try to live in Zachary? But then how far is it to drive to Whole Foods/Trader Joes/The Mall, etc.?

Old 04-17-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzourah View Post
My husband is considering a job in Zachary, and we'd be moving from Missouri (with kids). From what I'm reading in these comments, we should probably try to live in Zachary? But then how far is it to drive to Whole Foods/Trader Joes/The Mall, etc.?
Trader Joes and Whole Foods will be about 30 depending on where in Zachary, little further for the Mall of LA.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:13 PM

27 posts, read 42,320 times
If your husband may work in Zachary, you would definitely want to live there. It's the #1 rated school district in the state. It helps to have only 1 high school. There is plenty of acreage there also. A LOT of people live in Zachary and WORK in Baton Rouge so the drive to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and the Mall of LA will not be bad. People commute that distance every day. Zachary is getting lots of restaurants and stores to accommodate all the people moving there. Welcome to Louisiana!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge