Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 12:49 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Let me say this about Denham, since you'll get varying opinions: Livingston Parish was historically populated by independent minded whites, and in the past, it had a strong Klan presence. In recent years, it has received massive (white) suburban migration from BR and parts of the NO metro area - the parish now easily has 125K people and is about 95% white. Its schools have a good reputation, but the further away you get from the Amite River, the less likely that the natives look favorably on "Baton Rouge trash" (this is a term I've heard Livingstonians use).
Yes, if anything a lot of these people are "white trash" --not the other way around. I would avoid this area like the plague and live closer to BTR/LSU Lakes/Prarieville/CCLA(Santa Maria)/Highland Rd.

Also.. Mallard Lakes would be nice.. if you could afford that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 01:37 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Yes, if anything a lot of these people are "white trash" --not the other way around. I would avoid this area like the plague and live closer to BTR/LSU Lakes/Prarieville/CCLA(Santa Maria)/Highland Rd.

Also.. Mallard Lakes would be nice.. if you could afford that.
If you're an outsider, Denham Springs is way friendlier than, say, living in Livingston (the town, not the parish) or points to the east and south. Although I will say I've known several people from elsewhere who've moved to Holden (a small town way on the east side of the parish) and I've not heard any bellyaching about being that far out.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:23 PM

96 posts, read 338,360 times
LSU lab school (public) is probably the best in the area; it is one of the few ranked nationally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I really wouldn't suggest Denham Springs or Livingston Parish.. Try Prarieville, South BTR, Zachary, LSU area, Central(eh)...

Catholic/Episcopal is the best HS around and anywhere around LSU/South BTR around Santa Maria, etc. would be ideal.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champa View Post
LSU lab school (public) is probably the best in the area; it is one of the few ranked nationally...
It's pretty good...if you can get in. Bobby Jindal's kids tend to get the first slots

Old 06-15-2009, 02:21 PM

96 posts, read 338,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
It's pretty good...if you can get in. Bobby Jindal's kids tend to get the first slots
LOL! I have a friend who enlisted his kid at the day-care there before they were even trying to have a baby (just for a chance to get in; and this is for the daycare not the school!)

Old 06-15-2009, 02:23 PM

794 posts, read 3,357,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by champa View Post
LOL! I have a friend who enlisted his kid at the day-care there before they were even trying to have a baby (just for a chance to get in; and this is for the daycare not the school!)
Wow!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,239 times
I had recently been accepted to LSU for spring 2010, didn't want to live in Baton Rouge, would rather commute. A few areas I have been considering is Denham Springs, Port Allen, and Baker. Have been trying to do some homework and will visit the areas in the near future. Do have a kid, private schools are great, but will have to attend a public school. Get a better idea from any suggestions, ideas, so forth from anyone who lives in any of those areas while I am still checking them out. Even some helpful sites that have great info will be great. We are usually outdoorsy as well.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit13 View Post
I had recently been accepted to LSU for spring 2010, didn't want to live in Baton Rouge, would rather commute. A few areas I have been considering is Denham Springs, Port Allen, and Baker. Have been trying to do some homework and will visit the areas in the near future. Do have a kid, private schools are great, but will have to attend a public school. Get a better idea from any suggestions, ideas, so forth from anyone who lives in any of those areas while I am still checking them out. Even some helpful sites that have great info will be great. We are usually outdoorsy as well.
So how can we help you ?

Old 06-21-2009, 09:36 AM

97 posts, read 285,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit13 View Post

Denham Springs has some great public schools. You can try www.lpsb.org for information. Hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboundmom View Post
We are looking at the Denham Springs area for our relocation. I know everyone is complaining about the subdivisions but that's all we have lived in since we are from Phoenix and that's all that they have there. So, that is not an issue. We are looking for a safe, family oriented place to live with our kids. Any input on Denham Springs would be helpful. Do they have community pools there?

I have heard that the public schools there are pretty good? Our five year old son is special needs and isn't old enough to go to the Gables Academy yet and the only special education we can find is through the public schools so we are trying to find the best public schools we can.

We are also looking at the private schools, Montessori or Dunham for our 5 year old daughter. Any input on them would be helpful.
actually, the school system in livingston parish, aka denham springs area is a great school system, it is one of the best parish school systems in the state. teachers actually care and the cost of living is cheap. my family moved here for the education system. and i am very picky about my childrens education. ALSO, you can check around walker south, port vincent area for housing that is very affordable and good for the price. shop around before you come, email me if you have any questions about builders , real estate agents, i have met, dealt, done business with , etc.. with one or the other and can tell you the ones to avoid and the ones to deal with, i will be completely honest, i do not want to see anyone unhappy , with the purchase of there home. i have hear and seen horror stories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge