Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 11:29 AM

4 posts, read 9,811 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a grad student who will be in BR for 2 months working at Baton Rouge General. I am a female moving to BR by myself and am looking for a safe place to live. As a student I am currently living near a college and enjoy it. Any suggestions for a short-term, safe, fun place a drive away from Baton Rouge General?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 12:03 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,444,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah 23 View Post
Hi,

I am a grad student who will be in BR for 2 months working at Baton Rouge General. I am a female moving to BR by myself and am looking for a safe place to live. As a student I am currently living near a college and enjoy it. Any suggestions for a short-term, safe, fun place a drive away from Baton Rouge General?
Assuming you're talking about the General on Bluebonnet (they have a General on Florida/Acadian), you have a wealth of places to look. Cobblestone on Essen is decent, as is Chateau Dijon. You also have quite a few apartments/garden homes along Summa Ave between the General (Bluebonnet location) and Our Lady of the Lake. And further down Bluebonnet is Turnberry Place and the Park On Bluebonnet.

If you're talking the Florida location, I would not recommend living near there, except perhaps on Corporate and various apartment complexes on College Drive near Webb Park.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 9,811 times
I am working at the Florida location. I will have a car and dont mind a decent commute.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah 23 View Post
I am working at the Florida location. I will have a car and dont mind a decent commute.
OK. Then I'd recommend College Drive (between Webb Park and Corporate) and Corporate as the places to live. And in these locations, you're not at the mercy of the interstate, so the commute should be pretty mild.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:01 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,664,713 times
You could also look at some of the places along Jefferson Highway between Corporate/Old Hammond and Essen. They're a little bit further than those College Drive complexes but the area is also slightly better.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
You could also look at some of the places along Jefferson Highway between Corporate/Old Hammond and Essen. They're a little bit further than those College Drive complexes but the area is also slightly better.
College Drive is not an area I'd be too worried about. Yes, you have a not so nice neighborhood nearby (Valley Park), but it's tucked away. But Jefferson has lots of nice apartments, too. It' s all a matter of what you want, because you do have young people living in Fairway View apartments.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:54 AM

794 posts, read 3,344,354 times
Jefferson Hwy is a nice stretch of apartments, townhomes, etc and the commute isn't the worst in the world (especially in the mornings). You can easily drive up Jeff to Government Street and easy to get to the General from there. Coming home, it depends. Traffic can back up on Jefferson pretty easily heading south/east, but you get used to it quick.
Check the places right around Towne Center: Normandy Village, The Millenium, Jefferson East, The Warwick, Cedar Lodge, The Gates at Citiplace, Jeffersonian, Jefferson Colonial. The Bocage area is a really nice area and you're close to everything, but you have more traffic especially during the day.
Another option is College, Foster near Webb Park. Check out: Shadow Creek, Parc Fontaine, The Patrician, Ole Towne.
I wouldn't stay anywhere on Government, although the area is fine and full of traffic during the day. That area actually looks worse than it is, but there have been a few incidents at some of the apartments on Gov't and just north of Gov't. So it's best to avoid problems before they happen.
Best of luck to you, and welcome. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:53 PM

100 posts, read 390,691 times
Visit town first. If you are working at the Florida Blvd General: Try renting along Jefferson, Corporate, College drive, or in the Garden District. Downtown is also a good choice if you can afford Spanish Town...check craigslist.

I very highly recommend The Patrician and Parc Fontaine- it's a nice older apartment complex with good park access and near safe, walkable neighborhood called Capitol Heights. There are a lot of people from The General who live there, so there might be some kind of corporate deal or something.

It's on the corner of Clay Cut and South Foster...about 10 minutes from Baton Rouge General. Lots of good apartments in that area.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:00 PM

100 posts, read 390,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
College Drive is not an area I'd be too worried about. Yes, you have a not so nice neighborhood nearby (Valley Park), but it's tucked away. But Jefferson has lots of nice apartments, too. It' s all a matter of what you want, because you do have young people living in Fairway View apartments.
I've had a bad experience with Fairway View...crime related. They have been re-modeled since I lived there, though.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,974 times
hi,
I'm Irish and have received a scholarship to to a Masters in LSU. i am moving to Carlotta street- Can any one tell me if this is a relatively nice area? I have never been to Louisiana before, most of the posts on this forum talk about how people are afraid of crime........Is it very bad? I am certainly not naive, I Know there are bad areas in every City, i was just surprised at the amount of apprehension of people preparing to move there. apologies for the add on, for some reason i cannot create a new thread or post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge