Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:24 PM

110 posts, read 389,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I think in time it will have a more diverse GLBT community, but maybe not in any of our lifetimes. (Or maybe I'm a cynic about it).

Well, I'm really in love with New Orleans and I've thought seriously about settling down there. Did you ever consider New Orleans?

On the other hand, some have told me to get out of the state altogether, and many have suggested Austin. But I don't know where my career will take me, so I'm just going to wait and see until I'm completely finished with school.
PLease do your research, I think there is a perfect place for everyone seeking community. Dense poplutions usually harbour the diversety we gays need. MY DC.. is a great place for many. We of course deal with the ills of the city. However, DC nor BR is Mayberry,NC..lol
But untill we all can connect with a common sense of pride.. A pride that BR didn't embody durring my tenure. We gays will always seeks a home.
BR pride should be no diffrent that Jaguar or Tiger pride. the pride that no matter how diffrent we are we 're on the same team. DC allows me to live my life just as commonly as anyone else. You should visit in June when Capitol pride happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 04:43 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,129,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianbrotha View Post
DC allows me to live my life just as commonly as anyone else.
That's a priceless thing; I can't argue with that.

Quote:
You should visit in June when Capitol pride happens.
I haven't been a fan of pride festivities in the past, but who knows...I might wind up there one day.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 16,699 times
What! Okay I'll state it nicely. I think it's important to be compeletely honest and blunt because I got a jaded perception of Baton Rouge before I moved down here and I wish someone would have told me the truth about this city and state. For a young, educated, intelligent and single indivdual, it will be a very poor decision to move down to Baton Rouge. This city has basically nothing to offer to that crowd. I will say though for individuals who are older, married, settled or retired, it might be an okay depending on the neighborhood but for the young crowd, if you're graduated from school, it's not the best place. There is a very high crime rate, not much of a night life, employment is joke and social life is nonexistent! Lol! It was hard to put it nicely but I tried. I moved down here recently for a job and it was not the smartest idea, I've had friends come and visit from out of state and they vow never to come back lol. So young people college grads, I'd advise that you visit before you move down here because no matter how much online research you do, there's nothing like seeing it for yourself. I understand the city and state is still growing but it's got a lot of catching up to do.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 AM

4 posts, read 19,410 times
At the same token, I used to work at the BTR Airport, for one of the airlines. I frequently, and do mean frequently, had people (visitors) here to BTR, make comments regarding how much they liked/enjoyed BTR. I really think it is all in perspective. Each person's will be different.

BTR isn't a "big city", and to expect that type of atmosphere around BTR isn't realistic. There is plenty to do around BTR, and if not in BTR, you can make a short drive down to New Orleans, where there is plenty of night life, and fun to be had.

Don't get me wrong. I think BTR needs to improve in a lot of areas, but I think it is getting there. Are there more exciting places to live? Of course! But, there are also plenty of less exciting places to live.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:07 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,674,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAstudent View Post
What! Okay I'll state it nicely. I think it's important to be compeletely honest and blunt because I got a jaded perception of Baton Rouge before I moved down here and I wish someone would have told me the truth about this city and state. For a young, educated, intelligent and single indivdual, it will be a very poor decision to move down to Baton Rouge. This city has basically nothing to offer to that crowd. I will say though for individuals who are older, married, settled or retired, it might be an okay depending on the neighborhood but for the young crowd, if you're graduated from school, it's not the best place. There is a very high crime rate, not much of a night life, employment is joke and social life is nonexistent! Lol! It was hard to put it nicely but I tried. I moved down here recently for a job and it was not the smartest idea, I've had friends come and visit from out of state and they vow never to come back lol. So young people college grads, I'd advise that you visit before you move down here because no matter how much online research you do, there's nothing like seeing it for yourself. I understand the city and state is still growing but it's got a lot of catching up to do.
I won't even begin to describe how much this person has blown some of BTR's flaws out of proportion. BTR has a HUGE younger crowd. It's the group in the middle (35-50) that BTR has failed to appeal to. And, for the 1 billionth time, crime in BTR is extremely localized to certain "bad" areas, as with most cities with a high crime rate. I still don't understand why people come here expecting it to outshine someplace like New Orleans in terms of bars and clubs, etc. but for a city of this size I'd say that entertainment options for young people abound.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:30 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,454,539 times
Quote:
This negative talkin' worth a response, other than "wrong wrong wrong" ?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
AMEN!.. How old are you??? City was a challenge for me when i was in my lates 20's,single ,gay, and looking.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMH View Post
At the same token, I used to work at the BTR Airport, for one of the airlines. I frequently, and do mean frequently, had people (visitors) here to BTR, make comments regarding how much they liked/enjoyed BTR. I really think it is all in perspective. Each person's will be different.

BTR isn't a "big city", and to expect that type of atmosphere around BTR isn't realistic. There is plenty to do around BTR, and if not in BTR, you can make a short drive down to New Orleans, where there is plenty of night life, and fun to be had.

Don't get me wrong. I think BTR needs to improve in a lot of areas, but I think it is getting there. Are there more exciting places to live? Of course! But, there are also plenty of less exciting places to live.
Cities should be full of life no matter how large or small they are..Lafayette is 1/2 the size of BR but embodies a greater sense of community.
Cities are for living.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 PM

794 posts, read 3,350,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I won't even begin to describe how much this person has blown some of BTR's flaws out of proportion. BTR has a HUGE younger crowd. It's the group in the middle (35-50) that BTR has failed to appeal to. And, for the 1 billionth time, crime in BTR is extremely localized to certain "bad" areas, as with most cities with a high crime rate. I still don't understand why people come here expecting it to outshine someplace like New Orleans in terms of bars and clubs, etc. but for a city of this size I'd say that entertainment options for young people abound.

Well said!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Well said!
This maybe true, but the Sub culture I am part of as a BLK , Gay ,Single professional didn't and doesn't exist to the degree I now witness. I sought a city with Cosmopolitan flair and an active gay community full of normal looking and acting single blk, white, brown and yellow professionals like myself. I chose the D.C. area.
Like a previous respondent ,I sought a city that matched my lifestyle and personality, to say BR currently has the potential to satisfy all is not true.
Hope fully I can Help someone else decide if BR is where he should be , or can help them find their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge