U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Caa Caa started this thread

883 posts, read 1,581,446 times

Advertisements

Just a general thread. I have read a lot of posts about how Baton Rouge has "nothing to do". I live here and find entertainment every weekend whether it is a festival, touring the older downtown buildings, or going to a play or comedy show. I was talking to a friend who just moved here and she had the nothing to do comment and I told her 10 things she could do in Baton Rouge and she said that she had no idea about how to go about finding things to do! Things are not going to just jump out, you have to look at the newspaper, see ads on tv or the radio, or if a parentt,BR Parents Magazine has tons of things listed in the back section for family friendly activities to do. She was not aware of the Pennington Balloon Championship that is going on next weekend, or the Cover Kid contest going on this weekend at the River Center(she has 3 kids). Anyway, Baton Rouge is wonderful for families, but I have no idea about the single life at all-sorry! I also came from a city in south Florida that truly had 'nothing' for families, only tons of things for older people to do-LOL. It all depends on what you want, but believe me, Baton Rouge is great for us, you just have to look harder for "things to do"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:06 AM

Location: Southern California native, now a few miles from Lake Michigan
805 posts, read 2,461,877 times
There may indeed be quite a lot to "do", but looking at the demographics and crime stats for BR, I hardly think most people would view it as a "terrific" place.
And yeah, I have been there. Even turned down a job there.
But I'm glad you like it. Just be careful.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:50 AM

I think that the crime rate here is not so bad at least according to a friend's husband who is a cop. I feel very safe here, I just stay away from the bad areas of town as I would in any city in the world. I still think BR is terrific. I also came from an area in Florida where the city was known for its low crime rate and just the past 5 years the crime rate has gone so high that my in laws have bought a guna nd are considering moving here where it is safer! Go figure! Anyway, the Latin gangs have taken over the town I used to live in and even the safe areas are getting higher crime. I feel violent crime is in mostly the "bad" areas anyway! I only think BR is getting better each day!

Old 08-02-2008, 02:59 PM

110 posts, read 262,842 times
Where in BR do you live City or Burbs?? BR has tons of family things to do , that we all agree. But with a huge pressence of singles there.. Would a post grad single say the same about BR that a Couple would?

Old 08-02-2008, 04:50 PM

No, I think a single person may think differently. I have many single friends though and they love the nightlife here. No idea on my part! I live in the city-south Baton Rouge, but close to everything.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:15 PM

96 posts, read 211,484 times
Thumbs up I second that; I love it hear

I love it here in BR. It has all the amenities of a city without it being huge. We moved in from a bigger city in Florida and so far we love it. I do not venture into the rough sides of town so it is rather safe on our little piece of the bayou .

For families I think there is so much to do; in Florida I hardly got out, but here we bike and go out to parks all the time. Plus you can't beat all the heritage and greenery (love those big oaks).

Old 08-05-2008, 12:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,462 times
Talking Baton Rouge too many people

I live in Livingston Parish and enjoy the country/city life. The traffic isn't as bad as BR but it is slowly getting worse. With the Bass Pro Shop open and the rumors of a possible theme park I could see things change overnight. 1000 acres has been purchased for an entertainment district south of the Satsuma exit. Anybody hear anything else. Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by leorah; 08-05-2008 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 08-05-2008, 09:14 AM

110 posts, read 262,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1952 View Post
I live in Livingston Parish and enjoy the country/city life. The traffic isn't as bad as BR but it is slowly getting worse. With the Bass Pro Shop open and the rumors of a possible theme park I could see things change overnight. 1000 acres has been purchased for an entertainment district south of the Satsuma exit. Anybody hear anything else. Moderator cut: advertising
No possible to live on the fringe of most any city anymore and not notice density or sprawl...fact of life these days.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:35 AM

Default Florida vs BR

Quote:
Originally Posted by champa View Post
I love it here in BR. It has all the amenities of a city without it being huge. We moved in from a bigger city in Florida and so far we love it. I do not venture into the rough sides of town so it is rather safe on our little piece of the bayou .

For families I think there is so much to do; in Florida I hardly got out, but here we bike and go out to parks all the time. Plus you can't beat all the heritage and greenery (love those big oaks).
Where are you from in Florida? WE moved here from south Florida( right before Katrina and for many reasons. Just wondering why you moved here. Yes, we all(my family) agree that it is great here! Thanks for the positive reply! We like it here much much much better than Florida!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge