Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 08:29 AM

34 posts, read 125,464 times

Advertisements

It seems that Baton Rouge is primarily black and white. What ethnicities are there? What about Chinese, Indian, Latinos, Middle Easterners? Any info? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 02:45 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
There are definitely a lot of Vietnamese citizens, I would say in the general vicinity of the LSU campus. I don't know the percentage, though.

But yes--it often seems that it's more black-and-white than anything else. I think that's how Louisiana is in general (from what I've seen and heard).

Old 11-04-2008, 02:59 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
Check this link to the city data page for zip code 70808.

This will give you more information than you wanted to know. Now that you know that if you place a zip code into google, just run through the zip codes 70801 through 70813 and you'll see info on most parts of the city.

http://www.city-data.com/zips/70808.html

Old 11-06-2008, 02:50 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laleh View Post
It seems that Baton Rouge is primarily black and white. What ethnicities are there? What about Chinese, Indian, Latinos, Middle Easterners? Any info? Thanks.
All of the above (esp those from the various parts of the Asian continent) thanks to the petrochemical plants and (especially) LSU/Southern. The Latino community is growing some, as evidenced by a Mexican store on Siegen, but their presence is WAY less than it would be elsewhere.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
All of the above (esp those from the various parts of the Asian continent) thanks to the petrochemical plants and (especially) LSU/Southern. The Latino community is growing some, as evidenced by a Mexican store on Siegen, but their presence is WAY less than it would be elsewhere.
Maybe so, but my house, as so many others in the city, suffered roof damage from Gustav. A quick survey of all the roofing crews working in the subdivision found only 1 non-Spanish speaking worker. I think it depends on which part of town you live in. A lot of Mexicans live in the Bluebonnet/Burbank area.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:49 PM

34 posts, read 125,464 times
thanks for the input.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:08 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Maybe so, but my house, as so many others in the city, suffered roof damage from Gustav. A quick survey of all the roofing crews working in the subdivision found only 1 non-Spanish speaking worker. I think it depends on which part of town you live in. A lot of Mexicans live in the Bluebonnet/Burbank area.
For years, there was a Hispanic community on Southpark Drive (near Coursey/Cedarcrest) and in Village St George (Perkins at Siegen).

As to the Hispanic roofers, I wonder how many actually LIVE in BR (as opposed to living in NO), because I also dealt with a Hispanic roofing crew that I was told was brought in from NO.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,603 times
I see a lot more Hispanics here than before, but most that I see driving have Texas plates. Also, I heard many are here helping NO rebuild, but not actually living in BR. I had my share of them when I lived in South Florida, there are many more down there!

Old 11-12-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
For years, there was a Hispanic community on Southpark Drive (near Coursey/Cedarcrest) and in Village St George (Perkins at Siegen).

As to the Hispanic roofers, I wonder how many actually LIVE in BR (as opposed to living in NO), because I also dealt with a Hispanic roofing crew that I was told was brought in from NO.
One guy had Minnesota tags on his pickup.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:14 PM

24 posts, read 94,312 times
We have an interesting mix here in Baton Rouge. On the surface it would appear mostly White and Black but there are also a noticeable number of Hispanics, Asians and those of Middle Eastern decent. One thing that often gets overlooked is the peoples origins. I have met people from England, Australia, South Africa, Trinidad, China, Korea, Canada, Mexico, Cuba, Guatemala, Jamaica and many other countries. LSU has a very diverse student body and many of those students start families and wind up staying as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge