U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-21-2009, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 4,176 times
Default moving to BR

We're looking at a house on Highland Rd near Staring, aside from the traffic would you please tell me what i should know.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-21-2009, 09:13 PM

794 posts, read 2,154,324 times
If you're on Highland it should be good (not knowing exactly which house it may be).
What else are you wanting to know about the area? The crime stays down the hill in Gardere typically.
Do be careful in that area, if you're in Highland Creek (?) whatever that neighborhood is right at the end of Staring on Highland, they are working to extend Staring to Burbank. That will mean the addition of a fourlane road in a tight corridor between rows of houses. They plan to put up soundwalls, but still, it would be a huge headache. I don't think any actual houses are being relocated but you still could end up with no backyard and a major road and wall instead.

Unread 06-21-2009, 09:28 PM

1,357 posts, read 3,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigremom View Post
We're looking at a house on Highland Rd near Staring, aside from the traffic would you please tell me what i should know.
Tell us the neighborhood/street, and we'll give you our opinions. On the "high" side of Bayou Duplantier, you're generally on the better side in terms of crime and/or flooding. Traffic congestion can be an issue depending on where the house is, but there are shortcuts/back streets.

Unread 06-22-2009, 12:08 AM

4 posts, read 4,176 times
Default moving to BR

Thanks for your replies. We're look at a house about a mile from Sammy's on the bayou side, (closer to LSU._)

Unread 06-22-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigremom View Post
Thanks for your replies. We're look at a house about a mile from Sammy's on the bayou side, (closer to LSU._)
If you're referring to Magnolia Woods (you can PM me on the exact street if you don't want to publicize), it's a good neighborhood with people who care about their houses. Gustav hit the neighborhood hard; there were several houses with trees in them, and I know of two of those houses that were torn down to the slab as a result.

And that's one thing to keep in mind: the extensive tree cover of the neighborhood is wonderful, but it also means you have a moderate to high rish of one crashing through your house in a hurricane. And Magnola Woods was one of those neighborhoods that took at least a couple of weeks to get its power back.

Unread 06-22-2009, 10:06 AM

1,734 posts, read 3,219,812 times
If it is in the Magnolia Woods area, I lived on Castle Kirk for years and it's a decent area. Some of the neighborhoods on the other side of Staring have gone downhill.

Unread 06-22-2009, 10:12 AM

794 posts, read 2,154,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
If you're referring to Magnolia Woods (you can PM me on the exact street if you don't want to publicize), it's a good neighborhood with people who care about their houses. Gustav hit the neighborhood hard; there were several houses with trees in them, and I know of two of those houses that were torn down to the slab as a result.

And that's one thing to keep in mind: the extensive tree cover of the neighborhood is wonderful, but it also means you have a moderate to high rish of one crashing through your house in a hurricane. And Magnola Woods was one of those neighborhoods that took at least a couple of weeks to get its power back.
This is true. That area got hit hard by Gustav. Fortunately we don't see winds that strong that often.

Unread 06-22-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
This is true. That area got hit hard by Gustav. Fortunately we don't see winds that strong that often.
True - it's a worst case scenario. But something to keep in mind, as the tree canopy has its drawbacks.......

Unread 06-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
If it is in the Magnolia Woods area, I lived on Castle Kirk for years and it's a decent area. Some of the neighborhoods on the other side of Staring have gone downhill.
You're referring to Kevel/Hishpoint/Kingcrest ? Those houses to me are a mirror image of what's on Kimbro (the "Castle Kirk side of Staring", in other words) to me - smaller 1950s homes with bigger yards.

Unread 06-22-2009, 11:37 AM

1,734 posts, read 3,219,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
You're referring to Kevel/Hishpoint/Kingcrest ? Those houses to me are a mirror image of what's on Kimbro (the "Castle Kirk side of Staring", in other words) to me - smaller 1950s homes with bigger yards.
Most refering to the streets off of Hyacinth between Staring and Perkins, which are a stone's throw from Castle Kirk and Magnolia Wood. The streets that are right near Highland are still okay. I just don't like that other area I mentioned being so close. It used to not be that way and I'd be worried about it expanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge