Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:10 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,827 times

Advertisements

I think more and more people are starting to hurt now. The oilfield industry isn't looking hot, and state government is about to get hammered. I know someone who just got laid off from Exxon and a few other people hoping not to get laid off from Dow. There seem to still be plenty of construction projects though. I'm not sure what new may be coming in though. I sort of look for construction to slow here for a little while as the recession is going to make a delayed hit in Baton Rouge. I think it'll pick up again but who knows when.
I wish I knew of something specific, but I can't think of anything right off. If I hear of something, I'll pass it along. Worst case, the service industry is always hiring. That's one thing we almost never run out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:33 PM

595 posts, read 1,173,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
My neighbor works construction and has a couple weeks off while waiting for a new project to start. I will ask Him where and when they go back to work and will let You know what I find out.
Haven't forgot about Ya'll My neighbor is still off work but plans to be on the job soon if I find out anything I will certainly post it.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:43 PM

102 posts, read 332,677 times
Amen on the service industry, one look at the sunday paper confirms that, looks like restaurants never have enough help.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:18 PM

26 posts, read 78,792 times
Thanks, everyone! Yeah, it seems really tough out there. He had an interview on Friday with what seems to be recruiting agency. Hope it works out... i know it is tough on everyone though... i may get him to just start volunteering somewhere, at least that is good to keep the mind going...

Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 PM

8 posts, read 11,772 times
Default An update on the topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
To answer your questions (and welcome to BR! )

(1) Yes, this is the same bad Gardere. And even on the stretch of Gardere where Teakwood is, you have rundown apartments/condos that sat for years. In fact, I had a friend whose brother BACK IN THE 80s had a battery stolen from his truck when he lived at the Teakwood.
(2) Don't bother with McKinley or nearly anything north of LSU on Highland/Nicholson.
(3) Spanish Town is iffy - it has charm like the Garden District does, but both neioghborhoods are bordering slums.

Out of curiosity, do you HAVE to live north of LSU ? There are plenty places to choose from along Burbank, Brightside, Nicholson south of LSU, and in Tigerland of varying price ranges that are safer (IMO) than the areas you listed.

As I was reading the post, and even though it is old, I would like to share my experience in case anyone else could benefit from it. I have lived in Spanish Town several years ago and liked it. I never felt unsafe. Never had any problems. The area is really a quirky neighborhood with close neighbors which makes a great atmosphere. It is very unique and convenient to the parades.

I currently live on a part of McKinley Street that I LOVE. The common misconception that people tend to do when judging areas is to associate an entire street as one way. I have lived in other big cities, and you have to judge it differently because there are certain places that are more desirable than other places. The stretch that I live on West Mckinley is very quiet. I have great neighbors and really feel that where I live on West Mckinley is very convenient to LSU and downtown which is why a lot of people choose to live here. There are blocks of the street that I wouldn't care to live, but that is not to say it is because I would feel unsafe. I have friends that live on other streets near the north side of LSU and they feel it is also really convenient and they never feel unsafe. It's great to bike to campus and there are a lot of improvements going on in the area.

As far as Teakwood, I have never lived there, but I know people that have lived there that liked it. I have lived in a neighborhood north of there several years ago, and it was very quiet also.

I respect those others that may feel differently and I hope this helps anyone interested.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatonRouge View Post
As I was reading the post, and even though it is old, I would like to share my experience in case anyone else could benefit from it. I have lived in Spanish Town several years ago and liked it. I never felt unsafe. Never had any problems. The area is really a quirky neighborhood with close neighbors which makes a great atmosphere. It is very unique and convenient to the parades.

I currently live on a part of McKinley Street that I LOVE. The common misconception that people tend to do when judging areas is to associate an entire street as one way. I have lived in other big cities, and you have to judge it differently because there are certain places that are more desirable than other places. The stretch that I live on West Mckinley is very quiet. I have great neighbors and really feel that where I live on West Mckinley is very convenient to LSU and downtown which is why a lot of people choose to live here. There are blocks of the street that I wouldn't care to live, but that is not to say it is because I would feel unsafe. I have friends that live on other streets near the north side of LSU and they feel it is also really convenient and they never feel unsafe. It's great to bike to campus and there are a lot of improvements going on in the area.

As far as Teakwood, I have never lived there, but I know people that have lived there that liked it. I have lived in a neighborhood north of there several years ago, and it was very quiet also.

I respect those others that may feel differently and I hope this helps anyone interested.
The sounds of gunshots don't bother you? If I heard them in Gardere growing up and currently, you hear them in the South.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,645 times
Hi, I own a house on Aster St near River Rd that I rent to students. I also lived there in the late 90's. I still believe that Aster St and West Chimes closer to River rd are still pretty decent areas. No matter where you live you MUST light it up and lock it up. I would be wary of the "president streets" and the "State streets" too. Aster does not flood on that end either. you have great access to the vet school via River rd. And I still keep in touch with some of the long term owner residents and I visit BTR a couple of times a year to visit friends and family and check on my property. So NOT ALL areas north of LSU campus are bad. You do have to take precautions though no matter where you live. And yes it is coming up for rent this August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge