Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 03:34 PM

12 posts, read 34,314 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move the Louisiana (from the east coast) and have read a good deal about Shenandoah; that it's low crime and safe, not too tornado-storm-hurricane friendly, attractive area, etc. I'll also need to attend LSU to finish up a degree in the east and understand that the university is only 10 miles or so from the area. Not sure whether to buy a house, condo or rent, but my main concern is finding a 'homey,' friendly, old-fashioned area to settle.

Can someone kindly give me the real story on Shenandoah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 06:17 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lam09 View Post
I'm looking to move the Louisiana (from the east coast) and have read a good deal about Shenandoah; that it's low crime and safe, not too tornado-storm-hurricane friendly, attractive area, etc. I'll also need to attend LSU to finish up a degree in the east and understand that the university is only 10 miles or so from the area. Not sure whether to buy a house, condo or rent, but my main concern is finding a 'homey,' friendly, old-fashioned area to settle.

Can someone kindly give me the real story on Shenandoah?
If you're attending LSU as your "job" Shenahdoah is NOT a good place to live - you're way across town from LSU and have to deal with some nasty traffic.

The real question is, if you're moving to Louisiana, (1) are you planning on going to school first, (2) are you planning to work and go to school, (3) what kind of house (size, price) are you interested in ?

With the answers to those questions, we can more specifically steer you someplace.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:53 PM

Sorry so vague: I plan to work and finish school (using LSU credits to finish an east coast college degree since I've only 5/6 courses left). If I go for a house, I'd like something very small or a condo, but well built homes, not modern chic cheap. As far as price, having lived on the east coast, I'm not sure what's considered reasonable in LA.

Can you tell me more about the nasty traffic and any nasty weather concerns?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry so vague: I plan to work and finish school (using LSU credits to finish an east coast college degree since I've only 5/6 courses left). If I go for a house, I'd like something very small or a condo, but well built homes, not modern chic cheap. As far as price, having lived on the east coast, I'm not sure what's considered reasonable in LA.

Can you tell me more about the nasty traffic and any nasty weather concerns?
"Nasty weather" - comes in several varieties (1) high humidity, which is typically June-September, (2) flash floods - throughout the year, although the bad ones I've seen are usually in April/May, as the dominant Gulf moisture collides with occasional cold fronts, (3) hurricanes - the really nasty ones (Andrew in 1992, Katrina in 2005, and Gustav in 2008) are infrequent, but you can never be overconfident during hurricane season (technically June-November, in reality August-September are the months you have to be most watchful)

"Traffic" - Because of your going to LSU and your desire to have (my interpretation) something older, I'd stay west of Airline, because east of Airline, the main streets (I-12, Airline, Sherwood Forest, Coursey, O'Neal, etc) can be bumper to bumper. East of Airline is closer to LSU, and there are back streets you can take (just watch out for Essen, College, and Bluebonnet). I'd say (as long as your job is downtown or not much further out than the I-10/12 split) to look at an area bounded by Government, South Foster, Lobdell, Jefferson Hwy, College/Lee Dr, Highland Road, LSU, Dalrymple, and Park Blvd back to Government. There are areas within that triangle that can be better or worse, but I think that would be a good starting point.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:53 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
Check out Capital Heights. That and the Garden District, you'll find generally quality built older homes for rent (because to buy them outright would probably be too expensive for most people). For rent, we're talking between $700-$1000 on average although if you look hard you can find cheaper places. I know friends who have, but I don't know how they did it. Basically, I think they moved in to one place and then just got to know the neighbors. The easiest way to find something nice and cheap is to find something not published (i.e. word of mouth).

Old 06-27-2009, 09:29 PM

BRMan / darylwi

Many thanks. Just want to confirm if these areas you're suggesting are in Shenandoah? And also, would flood insurance be a wise consideration when considering purchasing a home in the EBR area?

Just curious: Why such heavy traffic in BR? A ten mile drive taking 30-35 minutes reminds me of the CA freeway.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:29 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
The city has major transportation infrastructure problems, or lack of infrastructure.
Baton Rouge wasn't designed with traffic flow in mind. It wasn't until recently we even hired a transportation engineer/city planner. The continuation of the Green Light Program is helping with that, but it won't solve the commuter problems we have here. The city practically doubles in population during the day.
Baton Rouge was designed to be a large town/capital city and forever it was (or felt like it at least), until late 90's, 2000s and especially after Katrina. Now the city is struggling to catch up, but I think over time we'll get there...assuming we ever get a loop built at the least.

Oh, and no, my areas are nowhere near Shenandoah. They're mainly around MidCity. Cap Heights is a block or two south of Government Street in the heart of town. Shenandoah is in the far eastern side of EBR Parish. If your commute involved traveling in the heart of rush hour which can easily be between 6:30-9am and 3-6pm, then you're asking for a long commute. Now that I live in the middle of town, I can't imagine moving any further out without having a good reason to.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
BRMan / darylwi

Many thanks. Just want to confirm if these areas you're suggesting are in Shenandoah? And also, would flood insurance be a wise consideration when considering purchasing a home in the EBR area?

Just curious: Why such heavy traffic in BR? A ten mile drive taking 30-35 minutes reminds me of the CA freeway.
Capital Heights is within the broad region I laid out for you. Go ahead and drive around within that area, and let us know of streets/neighborhoods you like, and we'll help you out as best we can.

BR has heavy traffic because it is not designed in a street grid fashion, as the NIMBYs (Not in my backyard) fight almost anything that involves street connectivity and/or widening certain roads. While this may preserve neighborhood integrity, it concentrates traffic on a few streets and, thus, you have congestion.

As to flood insurance, it's a hit or miss thing. Typically streets and sometimes neighhorhoods flood during heavy rain - the Acadian and Bluebonnet underpasses under the railroad are GUARANTEED to flood. When you start narrowing down your list of potential houses, you can either check the floodplain map or ask us. It's not like EVERY rainstorm creates a flood, but there are enough heavy rains/occasional flash floods that you want to be aware of that possibility.

Anyway, take a look at the region we've laid out, and then you can have more specific areas to ask us about. Best of luck !

Old 06-28-2009, 03:42 PM

34 posts, read 125,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post

"Traffic" - Because of your going to LSU and your desire to have (my interpretation) something older, I'd stay west of Airline, because east of Airline, the main streets (I-12, Airline, Sherwood Forest, Coursey, O'Neal, etc) can be bumper to bumper. East of Airline is closer to LSU, and there are back streets you can take (just watch out for Essen, College, and Bluebonnet). I'd say (as long as your job is downtown or not much further out than the I-10/12 split) to look at an area bounded by Government, South Foster, Lobdell, Jefferson Hwy, College/Lee Dr, Highland Road, LSU, Dalrymple, and Park Blvd back to Government. There are areas within that triangle that can be better or worse, but I think that would be a good starting point.
listen to this man. he knows what he is talking about. i would never live east of airline unless of course, i planned on never going into downtown or the lsu area. airline hwy traffic is the worst.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:45 PM

34 posts, read 125,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Check out Capital Heights. That and the Garden District, you'll find generally quality built older homes for rent (because to buy them outright would probably be too expensive for most people). For rent, we're talking between $700-$1000 on average although if you look hard you can find cheaper places. I know friends who have, but I don't know how they did it. Basically, I think they moved in to one place and then just got to know the neighbors. The easiest way to find something nice and cheap is to find something not published (i.e. word of mouth).
i agree but you have to be careful. both locations have very nice parts and also parts close to sketchy areas that i personally would stay away from. be sure to come here and ask about the specific location or ask locals who aren't trying to sell you anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: